• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plastic roads

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Plastic roads are made entirely of plastic or of composites of plastic with other materials. Plastic roads are different from standard roads in the respect that standard roads are made from asphalt concrete, which consists of mineral aggregates and asphalt.

There are two kinds of Plastic roads in the world:

• the "PlasticRoad": consist of modular, hollow and prefabricated road elements made from consumer waste plastics.
  • Plastic Roads: consist of an asphalt mix with plastic waste incorporated into the asphalt mixture
  • Plastic roads - Wikipedia
Ever been on one?

leov

Plastic roads are made entirely of plastic or of composites of plastic with other materials. Plastic roads are different from standard roads in the respect that standard roads are made from asphalt concrete, which consists of mineral aggregates and asphalt.

• the "PlasticRoad": consist of modular, hollow and prefabricated road elements made from consumer waste plastics.
  • Plastic Roads: consist of an asphalt mix with plastic waste incorporated into the asphalt mixture
Ever been on one?
Watch: Building roads from plastic waste in India

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's interesting. The wikipedia article only lists two countries so I doubt I've been on one.

Bob the Unbeliever

Ever been on one?

Interesting idea. I wonder how well it stands up to UV light-- one of the principle frequencies from the sun, on a bright day.

All plastics will react to oxygen under UV, and break down. Of course... asphalt is only good for about 2-3 years in climates that freeze/thaw anyway, so it's unlikely to be an issue.

I wonder how stable it is, when compared to the usual fill, which is typically limestone, granite or other rocky materials.

I just wish they'd use something other than asphalt resins, though... that stuff is basically processed tar, and is absolutely dependent on certain long-chain hydrocarbons, which both break down under bacteria and evaporate under the heat of the sun. Which is why asphalt roads break down quickly, 2-3 times faster (or more) than quality concrete.

Still... a possible use of ever-increasing waste materials... I wonder if they could mix in cellulose fibers into the mix? I'm thinking of paper that isn't recycled....

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I haven't been on one that I'm aware of but I have seen pictures of a road in China that was made from crushed up CD's (unsold Robbie Williams CD's from memory).