• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Plants, Reincarnation, Soul, and Karma

hinduharsh123

hinduharsh123
Do plants have a soul? Do they have free will? We will start off there and then continue with my arguments as to why or why not. :shout

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I'll be interested in reading the opinions of Hindus on this since popularized (mostly New Age-inspired) beliefs about reincarnation support the idea that plants have a rudimentary soul.

Please continue.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here's one Hindu's POV, but there will surely be more. In an ultimate sense, everything is Brahman. So 'soul' could mean that. We (all live and sentient things, even rocks :)) can be part of that. In that sense vegetables have souls.

But I don't believe vegetables have the same nature of soul as humans, or even animals do. Life, yes. But not specific soul bodies like humans. The universe, and the life forms in it are vast.

hinduharsh123

hinduharsh123
Okay, but then are we reincarnated into plants at some point since they are living? Because if we are not then why would god make them in the first place? And also if you see whenever humans expand and grow, it is at the expense of plants souls which could be reborn as humans. For example, if someone cut down a forest, you kills all the trees but if you built a hospital, if those souls were included int the cylce of Hindu reincarnation then they would be reborn as babies into the hospital. Thus wouldn't that mean they have souls as to to speak a human who did wrong during his life could be reborn as a plant? And you also did not answer whether you thought plants have free will. Do you think they do? What do they decide freely. Most of what they do Is governed by their surroundings and scientifically proven to be reactions. So do they? I still think they do, but I will share my reasoning later on....

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sorry, didn't realise you wanted to debate. I thought you wanted some Hindu opinions. I will withdraw.

HerDotness

Lady Babbleon
I've never heard that Hinduism supports the belief that a human can be reborn as a plant.

Is that an accepted belief or simply Hinduharsh's own idea?

For example, if someone cut down a forest, you kills all the trees but if you built a hospital, if those souls were included int the cylce of Hindu reincarnation then they would be reborn as babies into the hospital.

This doesn't sound like an actual Hindu belief either. In fact, it wouldn't even be supported by New Age or any other Western beliefs in reincarnation.

I hope someone comes onto this thread and clarifies these matters.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, but then are we reincarnated into plants at some point since they are living? Because if we are not then why would god make them in the first place?

To use up their store of sanchita karma. That is the accrued karma of all past lives. Sometimes a jiva (soul, if you will) is born as another form of life only to live that life and use up sanchita karma. It cannot create new (kriyamana) karma, however. Neither can a dog, a cat, an earthworm or an infant who dies. Karma is extremely intricate and complex; I do not believe any human can comprehend it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never heard that Hinduism supports the belief that a human can be reborn as a plant.

Is that an accepted belief or simply Hinduharsh's own idea?

This seems to support the belief only in a "body" being reincarnated:

Reincarnation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I have read that plants and other lowly organisms can be the reincarnation of a human. Of course, I can't remember where I read it. :rolleyes:

Vrindavana Das

I am unable to understand what hinduharsha is saying and do not want to get into it.

For the record, below is a clarification.

As per Padma Purana, there are 84 Lac species of lives. Out of these 84 Lac, 4 lac different kinds of human species are there.

Same is mentioned in Chaitanya Charitamrita as under:

jala-ja nava-laksani sthavara laksa-vimsati
krmayo rudra-sankhyakah paksinam dasa-laksanam
trimsal-laksani pasavah catur-laksani manusah[C.C.19.138]​

900,000 forms in the water,
2,000,000 forms of trees and plants,
1,100,000 forms of insects,
1,000,000 forms of birds,
3,000,000 forms of beasts, and
400,000 human species.

We must understand here that souls evolve in their levels of consciousness, which forms the basis of their classification in different species like trees, insects, birds etc. That is also the reason why there are 4 lac human species as against 1 as understood by modern science (homo sapiens).

A soul can transmigrate into any of the above species depending upon their Karma.

For example, a soul in human form, who like to expose, has to take on a body of a tree after death. As a tree, he is forced to take a very low level of consciousness and stand naked enduring the onslaught of rains, sun, winds, ...everything. Trees are in the mode of ignorance.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
900,000 forms in the water,
2,000,000 forms of trees and plants,
1,100,000 forms of insects,
1,000,000 forms of birds,
3,000,000 forms of beasts, and
400,000 human species.

That's what I read! A thousand blessings on you! :namaste

atanu

Premium Member
Yes. Regression to Lower Forms, including to inanimate forms, is taught in upanishads and Gita. Such stories (?) are also recorded in purAna an itIhAsa.

Q. Is it possible for a man to be reborn as a lower animal?
A. Yes. It is possible, as illustrated by Jada Bharata--the scriptural anecdote of a royal sage having been reborn as deer.
Ramana Maharshi, 196-197

Upanishads talk of three paths of re-incarnation and the third way leads to life of insects etc..

Gita teaches as below:

14:14 If the embodied soul meets with death when sattva prevails, it goes to the spotless realms of those who know the Highest.

14:15 If the embodied soul meets with death when rajas prevails, it is born among those who are attached to action; and if it meets with death when tamas prevails, it is born in the wombs of creatures devoid of reason.

Gita also teaches that whatever one contemplates on during the last moments that form one acquires.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is only one "stuff" in the Universe. There is only a single Consciousness. All the myriad "things" and beings and diversity are illusory -- dreams of the Single Consciousness; all part of the single, Universal Soul.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Gita also teaches that whatever one contemplates on during the last moments that form one acquires.

Very important to remember Sri Krishna and chant His names at time of death. I believe it results in instant moksha.

atanu

Premium Member
There is only one "stuff" in the Universe. There is only a single Consciousness. All the myriad "things" and beings and diversity are illusory -- dreams of the Single Consciousness; all part of the single, Universal Soul.

This.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Very important to remember Sri Krishna and chant His names at time of death. I believe it results in instant moksha.
Interesting, but by what mechanism? How's that work?
Do other god's names work, as well?
Gandhi, for example, called out to Ram at the moment of his death.