• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Placebo Effect and Belief

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I honestly believe belief has to do with:

Synchronicity (of personal experiences and observation of seemingly related event patterns that we attribute to a source X.)

Placebo (Since I had this experience X, that must have helped me, I feel better now)

Repetition (this worked above, so I should do it again)

Self-reflection (Now that I feel better because of X, I can reflect to see how I can use this to make my life better)

Self-fulfilling Prophecy (Since X has happened a lot and I feel better because of it, when something happens, I know it's related (and attributed) to X and nothing else)

This goes back into a circle and engraved by the argumentation theory-if the majority believes X and the relationship with all the above, it must be true (and mistaking theory or belief for fact and evidence). Since the majority believes it, especially in a community, there are laws, religious and cultural norms, practices, and languages that are centered around this cycle. This makes each of these above stronger.

People become indoctrinated (positive or negative) with the cycle. It's all psychological; hence, a positive placebo.

-

All based on a placebo effect. I wrote about belief and placebo one time on RF and somewhere else. Not many replied to it. They got offended because they thought I said their belief was fake.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Tis an interesting effect.
I like that it works even when one knows it's a placebo.

That actually makes for the best religious belief when one knows. Then it takes time and more self-reflection to see if knowing reflects whether or not it is still helpful. I find those who don't want to know (or maybe deny?) it are more defensive than those who know and practice self-reflection because of it. Beautiful thing, actually.

You can get people placebo effect drunk if they simply believe they are drinking alcohol.

Their bodies even exhibit some of the effects like slowed reaction times, worse balance, etc.

Also the more you pay for your headache pills the better they work, so you can get a placebo cure in case you get a placebo hangover :D

Nous

Premium Member
. . . in one study, people were given a placebo and told it was a stimulant. After taking the pill, their pulse rate sped up, their blood pressure increased, and their reaction speeds improved. When people were given the same pill and told it was to help them get to sleep, they experienced the opposite effects.​

The Placebo Effect: What Is It?

The placebo effect demonstrates the reality of mental causation.