• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Place of miracles in today's time.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No. Even Buddha himself didn't;t claim any special powers. he actually taught his students that if they disagreed with anything he said they should listen to their own mind.

There are some theistic forms of Buddhism that do have supernatural elements. The thing about Eastern religion is how they treat the supernatural as metaphors for experiences, or phenomena, or whatever.
Oh, I understood Buddha realized Nirvana. So what is the point of attaining to Buddhahood if there is nothing to realize?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
The only difference is Imam Mahdi is not in public view, and miracles are not in public view in front of masses.
Of course not. Yesterday I also managed to perform a miracle. I prayed to Thor and turned a bottle of water into one of Champagne.
Unfortunately, that never works in public view, for some reason.

Ciao

- viole

danieldemol

Premium Member
it's not giving one person magical powers to the extent they can for example warp a whole castle in a second
To the contrary it is giving one person power to warp whole cities in a flash, you keep saying God wouldn't do that in spite of the evidence God does do that.

My suggestion to you is if you are going to be duped by things that can be done using a combination of science and deceit at least ask for a useful miracle such as for world hunger to be solved.

That would reduce opposition to your leader because at least then he would have done something useful to humanity. We can already do lame things like destroy buildings.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I believe miracles have a place in today's time too not just the future and the past, and it's alluded that Imam Mahdi will show the miracles, if we pray to God frequently both in Quran and ahadith. Du'a arifina nafsika is clear, but also Quran when it has discussed the signs said for every people there is a guide that can show these signs and who the signs prove and else where it said the hiding is up to God and else where said about them asking for such clear proof, he guides to himself those who often turn to him and else where said he has shown the signs to a people who are certain. Those who ask God frequently believing in what Quran has said about guidance, miracles, and the guide, I believe they will be shown and be guided by the hands of Imam Mahdi and he will show clear miracles and proofs. Ibrahim asked God to show him clear proofs - show him how to raise the dead, so he can have tranquility. We have the right as well in my view.

The only difference is Imam Mahdi is not in public view, and miracles are not in public view in front of masses.
There's no such thing as magic.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Because the order of the universe would be put to question if that power is not from God.

Why?
Do you see how all you do is pile on more claims whenever you are asked to explain / support your claims?

It would mean our death and afterlife can be in hands of evil creatures while God just watches which is absurd.

Or, it could mean that there is no such thing as "supernatural" creatures and gods and afterlives.

Off course, if you start from a dogmatic a priori belief of which you have already decided that it's impossible for you to be wrong.......... you might miss the obvious.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Magic can't exist without a supernatural creator.

And magic doesn't exist.

Magic is impossible, by definition.
Magic requires the violation and / or suspension of natural laws.

When we talking about things that are "impossible", then that is what we mean: those things that require natural law to be violated / suspended.

So by definition, magic is impossible.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To the contrary it is giving one person power to warp whole cities in a flash, you keep saying God wouldn't do that in spite of the evidence God does do that.

My suggestion to you is if you are going to be duped by things that can be done using a combination of science and deceit at least ask for a useful miracle such as for world hunger to be solved.

That would reduce opposition to your leader because at least then he would have done something useful to humanity. We can already do lame things like destroy buildings.

You didn't address my points though.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And magic doesn't exist.

Magic is impossible, by definition.
Magic requires the violation and / or suspension of natural laws.

When we talking about things that are "impossible", then that is what we mean: those things that require natural law to be violated / suspended.

So by definition, magic is impossible.

The point is a miracle would indicate magic exists, and so be a proof for God (two birds in one stone) as well as the Messenger/Prophet/Guide performing it.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Claims aren't evidence, let alone "proof".

Read the following phrases in that post:

But there is no point in asking others about miracles they have experienced or past miracles. The miracles themselves are not good enough to be claimed and talked about.

The miracles are talked about in a way, that God is telling us, he can show us through his guide of the time, such clear signs. All he asks us is not to accuse them of sorcery or being possessed by demons while demons are the ones performing them to deceive. If we clean our hearts enough we won't accuse them of such and accept them to be signs of God and his trusted one performing that miracle, then they will be shown to us. They might be shown to us even if we aren't ready but then if we accuse them of being a sorcerer and liar, what is our fate for life? Will we join Satanic forces and call the one with the holy spirit and power from God a liar?

I say this, because you NEED to learn to see what others are saying, and not just respond to argue.

The_Fisher_King

Trying to bring myself ever closer to Allah
Premium Member
It can though, if you reflect over it.

How is Hasan al-Askari's son the guide of our time if he has not yet fully revealed himself to the masses?

And I don't see how the du'a addresses my question on what Shi'a Ahadith say about ad-Dajjal/his magical or miraculous powers.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
The point is a miracle would indicate magic exists

Useless tautology.

Like saying that observing a pink elephant would indicate pink elephants exist. Well derp.

, and so be a proof for God (two birds in one stone) as well as the Messenger/Prophet/Guide performing it.

Not at all.
You have to actually demonstrate the causal link. Not just assert it.
So even in the impossible event that a "miracle" or "magic" occurs, you would have no idea HOW it occurred and / or what triggered it and why. To then simply assert that it was your god of choice, is just an extreme case of confirmation bias.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Read the following phrases in that post:

But there is no point in asking others about miracles they have experienced or past miracles. The miracles themselves are not good enough to be claimed and talked about.

The miracles are talked about in a way, that God is telling us, he can show us through his guide of the time, such clear signs. All he asks us is not to accuse them of sorcery or being possessed by demons while demons are the ones performing them to deceive. If we clean our hearts enough we won't accuse them of such and accept them to be signs of God and his trusted one performing that miracle, then they will be shown to us. They might be shown to us even if we aren't ready but then if we accuse them of being a sorcerer and liar, what is our fate for life? Will we join Satanic forces and call the one with the holy spirit and power from God a liar?

I say this, because you NEED to learn to see what others are saying, and not just respond to argue.

Maybe you should read the part that I quoted. That's the statement I was responding to.
And in that quote, you called it "proof".

I responded by saying that claims aren't proof.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Maybe you should read the part that I quoted. That's the statement I was responding to.
And in that quote, you called it "proof".

I responded by saying that claims aren't proof.

So you took my statement completely out of context, and responded to how I didn't mean it.

danieldemol

Premium Member
You didn't address my points though.
Your points are a series of assumptions.
You assume a) God created the material realms
b)God continues to intervene (or to use your wording control the universe)
C)God cares enough about whether we know who is controlling the universe that God restricts power to a chosen elect.

All of these assumptions were unevidenced and I provided contrary evidence to point C.

Points addressed.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
C)God cares enough about whether we know who is controlling the universe that God restricts power to a chosen elect.
All of these assumptions were unevidenced and I provided contrary evidence to point C.

To support C, I'm suggesting if we don't affirm this, then the next world to come after can be in hands of devils and evil creatures, do you believe this is possible? We forever are in the hands of devils while God watches and does nothing?

danieldemol

Premium Member
To support C, I'm suggesting if we don't affirm this, then the next world to come after can be in hands of devils and evil creatures, do you believe this is possible? We forever are in the hands of devils while God watches and does nothing?
It is possible, but I do not believe it. What I believe is that God restricts power to those who would do evil in the afterlife.

This is closer to being in accord with all the evidence than your account because we have;
-Evidence that evil people in this world have power
-No evidence that dead evil people have power

That being said there is no evidence in favour of the afterlife existing and miracles do not prove an afterlife exists unless they actually enable you to view the afterlife whilst still alive, which I dont believe anyone has ever done.

In my opinion.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is possible, but I do not believe it. What I believe is that God restricts power to those who would do evil in the afterlife.

This is closer to being in accord with all the evidence than your account because we have;
-Evidence that evil people in this world have power
-No evidence that dead evil people have power

That being said there is no evidence in favour of the afterlife existing and miracles do not prove an afterlife exists unless they actually enable you to view the afterlife, which I dont believe anyone has ever done.

So why wouldn't he restrict power in this world? As for the power, I already explained, evil government can be overthrown with right words and effort, and as well, science and nukes are not absolute control. Also there is a whole system for nukes and there is balance of power in the world with conflicting countries.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Trump had power in terms of nukes and weapons sure, but there is counter measures, but imagine he can teleport a whole throne in a twinkle of an eye. That's too much power to an evil person. Why would God let that happen?