• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pity

Aasimar

Atheist
So I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand today, and I came across an interesting short passage.

A character, a very wealthy man by the name of Midas Mulligan, who was also quite proud of his wealth, we asked by a reporter if he knew of anyone more evil then the man who feels no pity for his fellow human being.

His response was, "Yes, the man who uses another mans pity for him as a weapon against him."

Any thoughts ?

robtex

Veteran Member
Can you help us out by telling us the context of the passage. Who Mr. Mulligan is, where he asked the question and the event that may have let up to that question? I never read the book and hate guessing at quotes out of context.

Aasimar

Atheist
Can you help us out by telling us the context of the passage. Who Mr. Mulligan is, where he asked the question and the event that may have let up to that question? I never read the book and hate guessing at quotes out of context.

I tried too, but I'll make it more clear I guess.

Midas Mulligan as I said in the OP is a very wealthy successful banker. He makes profit, he does not give loans to the poor and those who will be unable to pay them back. He is impeccably honest, but he is also uncompromising. He is often accused of being heartless and pitiless, which he doesn't deny.

As far as the events, he actually wasn't mentioned at all until this point in the book, with basically a brief synopsis of who he was. A self made man who brought himself up from nothing with his own blood, sweat, and tears to become an extraordinarily successful banker.

The context isn't as relevant in this, it's basically which is worse:

To have no pity for your fellow man.

Or

To be the one who is pitied and use the fact that you are being pitied as a weapon against the one who pities you.

As in, is one morally obligated to provide for those who need what you have, even if they have done nothing to earn it and you have?

robtex

Veteran Member
Midas Mulligan as I said in the OP is a very wealthy successful banker. He makes profit, he does not give loans to the poor and those who will be unable to pay them back. He is impeccably honest, but he is also uncompromising. He is often accused of being heartless and pitiless, which he doesn't deny.

that part helped a lot. I have to leave but can get back to this thread later.

robtex

Veteran Member
Nobody lives in a vacuum. We have the ability to define our place in society and how social or non-social we choose to be. Each person is free to choose their level and to change that level from time to time. Social attributes weigh in that decision to various degrees. Mr. Mulligan lacks compassion. It is his choice to do so. In real life I know people who lack compassion. I don’t hate them but I don’t like them either. They inspire me with apathy. If someone who has a similar personality has a mishap I don’t care. I don’t visit them at the hospital or send them cards, and they honestly may have not cared that I did. People who lack compassion mean as little to me as I do to them.

With Mr. Mulligan If I needed a lone and he wanted to give one (from his bank) we could do business. If I had a business need of his we could do business. If he got a flat tire and was late to an important meeting and asked me for a ride he would be wasting my time. If he gets cancer and is in the hospital he should except me to show-up to provide him with support. He is outside of society and outside of the people I would feel inclined to help by his choice—and by his choice alone. Somebody I perceived as compassionate wouldn’t be wasting my time. The difference is that I place value in the society as a whole and even if that person helps me in the future the idea that they contribute to the society gives me perceived in that person. \

There is nothing wrong with Mr. Mulligan doing what he is doing. I don’t see any reason to dislike or hate that person based on his philosophy of life, but if he is stingy on the favors, and un-inclined to help others when they need it, he hope hopefully realize he is at the end of the list of people I or most others would feel inclined to help if they were in need.

I don’t think what he does is wrong, not by a long shot, but I do think it creates the paradigm that others, like myself will have a harder time justifying supporting that person if they have a need that there money can’t fix. Mr. (name) may be happy with the choice, and a reader of Atlas Shrugged may feel that idea applies to them to. They should just realize you beget what you give. If you lack compassion it would be unrealistic to expect it in return. That applies, to friendships, relationships, family ect. If one is ok with that, than maybe that is the right choice for them, if they are not ok with it maybe they should re-evaluate. I feel they have the right to make their choice on this though, and wouldn’t call it immoral.

In regards to the second part: ""Yes, the man who uses another mans pity for him as a weapon against him." I would concur with that thought but need more time to elaborate on that.

Aasimar

Atheist
In regards to the second part: ""Yes, the man who uses another mans pity for him as a weapon against him." I would concur with that thought but need more time to elaborate on that.

Take all the time you need, I still gotta finish the freaking book lol.

tomspug

Absorbant
So I was reading "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand today, and I came across an interesting short passage.

A character, a very wealthy man by the name of Midas Mulligan, who was also quite proud of his wealth, we asked by a reporter if he knew of anyone more evil then the man who feels no pity for his fellow human being.

His response was, "Yes, the man who uses another mans pity for him as a weapon against him."

Any thoughts ?

I'll bite.

Are there more than one kinds of pity? Well, pity is different than remorse. Pity is synonymous with 'pitiful', meaning that you have pity on the pitiful. There is also empathy and sympathy.

Perhaps a noble pity would be recognizing a situation with no hope (i.e. to pity the damned). Is it right to have no hope for an individual? It is certainly realistic in some cases, but pity can also be misplaced.

In the context of your quote, is it evil to have 'no pity'? That implies that the person is entirely selfish with no concern for their fellow man. Sounds evil to me.

In the context of Mulligan's response... I understand now. He's saying that you shouldn't use the fact that OTHER people have pity as a weapon against those that don't have pity, like him. In other words, he's saying that comparing the goodness of anyone to other people is evil. I'd have to agree, although I'm not sure that it is more evil than having no pity, but it's a valid point.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think feeling pity for people is much of a virtue. Feeling compassion is, but not pity. There's too much condescension in pity.