• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pioneer Jews of the West

Amazing but true: The first European settlers in what is now the USA weren’t English Puritans or French fur trappers but Sephardic Jews. Before the Mayflower sailed to America, Jews had fled the Spanish Inquisition and settled in what is now Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Although they were eventually absorbed into the mainstream culture, they built a real Jewish life here.

Who were these first pioneers? What happened that forced them to flee? What did they encounter in this far land? These questions fascinate me, and as I read what little we know about them and imagine their lives, a story emerges:

In Spain during the Inquisition two Sephardic brothers are in deep conflict. Weary of persecution, the older has decided to have his family baptized and become nominal Christians. The younger, Elias, sees this as a threat to the survival of the Jewish people. Rather than give in to the Inquisition, he decides to flee to the colonies. Before he leaves, he and his brother put their quarrel aside and reconcile.

On the boat to Mexico he meets a young woman, Dorit, whose family is also fleeing. Their romance blossoms into love, and they are married in a traditional ceremony in the Sephardic community of Vera Cruz. Their wedding reception is broken up by an Inquisition priest with soldiers. Anti-Semitic persecution has followed them to the New World.

In a journey reminiscent of the ancient escape from Egypt, Elias and Dorit and a few other families travel as far from Spanish authority as they can, up into what is now the Southwest of the USA. On the way Dorit gives birth to a son, and the group celebrates this perpetuation of their Jewish life with the bris ceremony.

The group settles in a remote area inhabited only by Native Americans, with whom they trade. They have brought extra horses, cloth, and metal tools, which they exchange for food. The newcomers and the natives develop a relationship of mutual assistance and respect. Here the group is free to build a new life centered around their Jewish faith. The family has a second child, a daughter.

Spaniards gradually move into the area with herds of cattle and set up ranches. Some of them are hostile to the Jews, but others accept them. The Spaniards want the natives’ land, so they approach the Jews for information about the native settlements and their defenses. The ranchers, some of whom the Jews had thought were their friends, threaten them with exposure to the Spanish authorities and imprisonment if they don’t cooperate. After much internal conflict, the Jews give them the information.

The natives are brutally pushed off the fertile land, much of which the ranchers then sell to Spanish farmers who have begun arriving.

A priest and soldiers come to build a mission and fort. It is the same priest who broke up their wedding reception back in Mexico City. He announces that the Jews must either convert or face imprisonment.

This throws the community into crisis. Some want to flee again, others to give up and convert. Elias, who over the years has become the leader, convinces them that now is the time to stay and resist. Although they number only about thirty, they are an important part of the larger community. They have allies among the settlers, who need them as traders and craftsmen. Plus they now have the ability to defend themselves.

When the priest and his soldiers come to take the Jews away, half the town are there to protect them. This solidarity forces the priest to see that he is not all powerful. He backs off and accepts peaceful coexistence with the infidels.

Their children, though, become discontent with the narrowness of the small Jewish community. The daughter falls in love with the son of a Spanish settler. Her parents try to persuade her to marry a Jewish boy, but her heart is set on Miguel. The priest smirks victoriously as he marries them in the Catholic mission.

The son has a moral crisis when he learns they helped the Spaniards push the natives off their tribal land. He turns against his father and all the European settlers. After a cross-cultural romance, he marries a native girl and goes to live with her tribe.

The daughter’s first child is a boy, and instead of circumcising him, she has him baptized.

Other Jewish families are facing similar attrition. The younger generation are turning their backs on tradition and merging with the larger society. Elias is crushed and bitter. He feels this assimilation has accomplished what the Inquisition couldn’t: the destruction of their Jewish community.

But after the son and his wife have a daughter, the grandchildren win the hearts of the old couple. Dorit helps Elias to see that these people they love are more important than the abstractions of religion and group identity. The family reconciles. The grandparents have to accept that their community will probably disappear, absorbed into the Spanish culture. Individual life and the identities that come with it are transitory, but the life force takes on new forms and flows on.

After a happy family visit the old couple ride home in their buggy, fading out of sight into evening shadows and blowing desert sand.

#

Of course thousands of other stories could be told, but they too are speculations because the first pioneers left few traces. If you’d like to investigate what we do know about them, the following sites will be helpful:

Jews in Mexico, a struggle for survival: Part One - MexConnect

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~nachumd/sch/sch/PAPERS/Folklore.txt

http://web.archive.org/web/20060518015613/http://www.du.edu/~sward/cryptojews.html

TEXAS MEXICAN SECRET SPANISH JEWS TODAY

River Sea

Amazing but true: The first European settlers in what is now the USA weren’t English Puritans or French fur trappers but Sephardic Jews. Before the Mayflower sailed to America, Jews had fled the Spanish Inquisition and settled in what is now Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. Although they were eventually absorbed into the mainstream culture, they built a real Jewish life here.

Who were these first pioneers? What happened that forced them to flee? What did they encounter in this far land? These questions fascinate me, and as I read what little we know about them and imagine their lives, a story emerges:

In Spain during the Inquisition two Sephardic brothers are in deep conflict. Weary of persecution, the older has decided to have his family baptized and become nominal Christians. The younger, Elias, sees this as a threat to the survival of the Jewish people. Rather than give in to the Inquisition, he decides to flee to the colonies. Before he leaves, he and his brother put their quarrel aside and reconcile.

On the boat to Mexico he meets a young woman, Dorit, whose family is also fleeing. Their romance blossoms into love, and they are married in a traditional ceremony in the Sephardic community of Vera Cruz. Their wedding reception is broken up by an Inquisition priest with soldiers. Anti-Semitic persecution has followed them to the New World.

In a journey reminiscent of the ancient escape from Egypt, Elias and Dorit and a few other families travel as far from Spanish authority as they can, up into what is now the Southwest of the USA. On the way Dorit gives birth to a son, and the group celebrates this perpetuation of their Jewish life with the bris ceremony.

The group settles in a remote area inhabited only by Native Americans, with whom they trade. They have brought extra horses, cloth, and metal tools, which they exchange for food. The newcomers and the natives develop a relationship of mutual assistance and respect. Here the group is free to build a new life centered around their Jewish faith. The family has a second child, a daughter.

Spaniards gradually move into the area with herds of cattle and set up ranches. Some of them are hostile to the Jews, but others accept them. The Spaniards want the natives’ land, so they approach the Jews for information about the native settlements and their defenses. The ranchers, some of whom the Jews had thought were their friends, threaten them with exposure to the Spanish authorities and imprisonment if they don’t cooperate. After much internal conflict, the Jews give them the information.

The natives are brutally pushed off the fertile land, much of which the ranchers then sell to Spanish farmers who have begun arriving.

A priest and soldiers come to build a mission and fort. It is the same priest who broke up their wedding reception back in Mexico City. He announces that the Jews must either convert or face imprisonment.

This throws the community into crisis. Some want to flee again, others to give up and convert. Elias, who over the years has become the leader, convinces them that now is the time to stay and resist. Although they number only about thirty, they are an important part of the larger community. They have allies among the settlers, who need them as traders and craftsmen. Plus they now have the ability to defend themselves.

When the priest and his soldiers come to take the Jews away, half the town are there to protect them. This solidarity forces the priest to see that he is not all powerful. He backs off and accepts peaceful coexistence with the infidels.

Their children, though, become discontent with the narrowness of the small Jewish community. The daughter falls in love with the son of a Spanish settler. Her parents try to persuade her to marry a Jewish boy, but her heart is set on Miguel. The priest smirks victoriously as he marries them in the Catholic mission.

The son has a moral crisis when he learns they helped the Spaniards push the natives off their tribal land. He turns against his father and all the European settlers. After a cross-cultural romance, he marries a native girl and goes to live with her tribe.

The daughter’s first child is a boy, and instead of circumcising him, she has him baptized.

Other Jewish families are facing similar attrition. The younger generation are turning their backs on tradition and merging with the larger society. Elias is crushed and bitter. He feels this assimilation has accomplished what the Inquisition couldn’t: the destruction of their Jewish community.

But after the son and his wife have a daughter, the grandchildren win the hearts of the old couple. Dorit helps Elias to see that these people they love are more important than the abstractions of religion and group identity. The family reconciles. The grandparents have to accept that their community will probably disappear, absorbed into the Spanish culture. Individual life and the identities that come with it are transitory, but the life force takes on new forms and flows on.

After a happy family visit the old couple ride home in their buggy, fading out of sight into evening shadows and blowing desert sand.

#

Of course thousands of other stories could be told, but they too are speculations because the first pioneers left few traces. If you’d like to investigate what we do know about them, the following sites will be helpful:

Jews in Mexico, a struggle for survival: Part One - MexConnect

http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~nachumd/sch/sch/PAPERS/Folklore.txt

http://web.archive.org/web/20060518015613/http://www.du.edu/~sward/cryptojews.html

TEXAS MEXICAN SECRET SPANISH JEWS TODAY

@William T. Hathaway Have you ever heard about any history about the Hebrew Yadavas from the Indus Valley? I learned this history from
@Bharat Jhunjhunwala

Bharat, what are your thoughts about Sephardic Jews fleeing the Spanish Inquisition and migrating to America that William shared?

@William T. Hathaway Have you ever heard about any history about the Hebrew Yadavas from the Indus Valley? I learned this history from
@Bharat Jhunjhunwala

Bharat, what are your thoughts about Sephardic Jews fleeing the Spanish Inquisition and migrating to America that William shared?
Thanks for the tip, River Sea. I just read excerpts from Bharat Jhujhunwala’s work in the internet and find it fascinating. It seems to support the research this article of mine is based on: Vedic Peace. More and more of the suppositions Western civilization has been based on are starting to crumble. Thank goodness!

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
It seems to support the research this article of mine is based on: Vedic Peace.
Hi. Read your nice research. The Indus Valley Civilization being the oldest if often recognized. But little is discussed about the pathways of its spread to the west. I am suggesting that Adam-Cain-Noah-Abraham-Moses lived in India and Moses led to Exodus from here to Israel. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

Hi. Read your nice research. The Indus Valley Civilization being the oldest if often recognized. But little is discussed about the pathways of its spread to the west. I am suggesting that Adam-Cain-Noah-Abraham-Moses lived in India and Moses led to Exodus from here to Israel. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.
I don't see how that accounts for the slavery of the Jews in Egypt. Please share your research on this with us.

A connection between the two civilizations, the older Vedic and the younger Jewish, is indicated by the similarities of names and functions of Brahma and Saraswati in the Vedas with Abraham and Sarah in the Bible. Brahma and Saraswati are the parents of the universe and Abraham and Sarah are the parents of the Semitic peoples, both Jews and Arabs.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
I don't see how that accounts for the slavery of the Jews in Egypt. Please share your research on this with us.

I am suggesting that Adam-Cain-Noah-Abraham-Moses lived in the Indus Valley Civilization (IVC) and Moses led the Exodus from IVC to Israel. So we should get evidence of “slavery” in the IVC. The IVC counterpart to Pharaoh, Moses and Aaron appear to be Kamsa, Krishna and Balarama. Now Kamsa’s narrative parallels that of the Bible.

1] Kamsa sent Putna to kill sons of the Yadavas. (~ midwives).

2] Kamsa collected (I presume, punitive) taxes. (~slavery).

3] Krishna killed Kamsa. (~Moses killed Mitsrite).

4] Jarasandha attacked Yadavas at Mathura and forced them to flee to Dwarka. (~move to Goshen).

5] Yadavas fled Dwarka.

6] Yadavas killed each other. (~Hebrews killed each other at Sinai).

7] Krishna left for an unknown country. (~Exodus).

Happy to provide more details.

River Sea

@William T. Hathaway reading what you shared, and I learn from you that Sephardic Jews arrived in America before British and French arrived.

@William T. Hathaway can you help me understand this word colonies and other words for explaining people living arrangements on land?

Mexico seems to have colonies but not America of yet.

Because the Sephardic Jews arrived before the British arrived in America, and it's the British who had colonies that's on the east area of America.,

but when the Sephardic Jews arrived in America there wasn't any colonies of yet.,

Sephardic Jews went to Mexico first to what type of colonies in Mexico, I saw online the colonies in Mexico is Mormons - I yet need to look up Vera Cruz. I need to re-read this area in your writing, and look up online more closely as I really don't know Mexico during that era. I apologies a head of time if I really make a mess for a while about this. I'll eventually comprehend as I keep at this 'till I understand.

Then after Mexico the Sephardic Jews travel to America where there's no colonies due to Indians in America were nomads due to travel and moving their tents., that's not colonies but nomads am I understanding correctly?

@William T. Hathaway @Bharat Jhunjhunwala

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala what are your thoughts about the Sephardic Jews arriving to American before the British and French arrived to America?

Were these Sephardic Jews Indians due to Hebrews Yadavas left Indus Valley and travel to Yisrael? So Jews are Indians still when later Sephardic Jews travel to America. So, my questions did these Sephardic Jews known they were Indians when traveling to America?

Notice now days not everyone claims themselves to be Indian even though we all came from Indus Valley, so actually we're all Indians then right?

By the time the Sephardic Jews went to America would they be consider Indian still or not Indians., cause when they went to America they're living with Indians, and it makes it sound like non Indians being with Indians, or is it Indians from not America being with Indians in America

The first European settlers in what is now the USA weren’t English Puritans or French fur trappers but Sephardic Jews

River Sea

@William T. Hathaway

I read this article that help me understand Mexico more.
So it was Catholics and not Mormons during that time who cause so much suffering for Jews

• I don't understand why subjective spiritual beliefs become religion court that results to pride condemnation with their laws?
  • What caused Catholics to resemble more a court system, but Jews also have a court system too right?
  • Is it a court system war then?
  • I notice these religions has a court systems actually, how come?
  • What is spirituality in relationship compare to spirituality in a court system behaviors?
  • What is the court system like now with the different religions, if improved what happen that caused the improvement, is it more due to relationships?

River Sea

@Ehav4Ever @metis @Messianic Israelite @Bharat Jhunjhunwala @Brian2 @Jayhawker Soule @Truthseeker

[COLOR=rgb(102, 0, 0)][B][SIZE=7]In Mexico did Jews feel safe or not safe and how come?[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

[QUOTE="William T. Hathaway, post: 7924913, member: 77106"][URL]http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~nachumd/sch/sch/PAPERS/Folklore.txt[/URL][/QUOTE]

The presence all over the Spanish New World of descendents of peninsular [B][COLOR=#0000ff]Jews who had been forcibly converted to Catholicism[/COLOR][/B]--referred to as anusim in the Hebrew literature

As is well-known, the Spanish and Portuguese Inquisitions
attempted over the centuries to ferret out any secret keepers of the Jewish faith within their reach. Church officials often complained that Mexico is inundated with Jews (Liebman 1970:42,47,185). The Mexican Inquisition, in its zeal to rid the Spanish colony of all remnants of Judaism among these people
and in its avarice for their possessions (Marcus 1970:1399) was established in 1571. The first Mexican auto da fe was held in 1526 and the last in 1815. The Inquisition was abolished with Mexico's independence in 1821, at which time [B][COLOR=#0000ff]the last person imprisoned for judaizing was released[/COLOR][/B]. We thus have documentary evidence for the secret preservation of Judaism in Mexico until the end of the eighteenth century

I over did it when adding people to check out this thread, cause I was having fun adding people and finding them. Then the next day I thought I over did it, so I gotten rid of names. And only kept a few.

Lets do this shall we, explore Mexico and America

I want to do this, and this thread already started.

I'll wait 'till someone wants to do this with me. Lets explore Mexico and America together?

Besides the Jews who else travel to Mexico then went to America, how come they went to Mexico first and then to America? How come they didn't go directly to America?

I notice this, going to Mexico first, how come?

How come the Europeans and French landed on the eastern side of America for, how come the Europeans and French didn't go to Mexico first and then to America, why is that?

Last edited:

River Sea

Anyone reading this thread., please know I was in the process of learning it wasn't Mormons but Catholics. Any Catholics in this forum, what are your thoughts about all of this?

I am realizing there's a lot still missing for my understanding. Yes I can research online. But I want to interact where I'm at.

• Catholics vs Mormons and who colonies and where?
  • Why did they colonies and not use tents and be nomads?
  • How did religion become colonies how much was influence by rulers?
  • How much is religion a program by the programmers?
  • How is America similar and different compare to Mexico?

Last edited:

River Sea

That should have a thread of its own.

@William T. Hathaway How come that needs it's own thread when you asked @Bharat Jhunjhunwala to share?

However, I did ask @Bharat Jhunjhunwala what he thought about the Sephardic Jews, who arrived in America before the British and French. and still waiting for an answer; however, what if green people from Mars arrived in America before Sephardic Jews? You know green people blend with grass and leaves from trees and maybe they sing, "green green green..."

I think both of you @William T. Hathaway and @Bharat Jhunjhunwala need some coffee from Moses because 'Hebrews' it

Last edited:

River Sea

7] Krishna left for an unknown country. (~Exodus).

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala How come some Hindus claim Krishna died in India, and yet you claim Krishna didn't die but went somewhere else? How come you never thought Krishna died in the Indus Valley?

What do Hindus think about the seven chakras?

What if one of the Hindus discovered more chakras? Would they be able to share this information and have people listen, or are people stuck with only 7 chakras and refuse to listen to information about other chakras?

What do the Jews think about chakras? Or do Jews use a different word for chakras? What about Muslims What word do Muslims use for the word "chakras"?

Do these different words allow people to understand them, or do they cause debates? These words in reference to chakras? Do these words help people relate from other religions?

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala How come you want me to spread light through all of my spine for what I get fed in the spirit heart chakra, as you claim that's why I get burn fire in the spirit heart because it's not spread.
Yet when I allow light teach me, I get fed in spirit heart burn fire, and yet I keep thinking that's where my spirit gets fed, in the spirit heart, and the burn fire is spiritual food, but you want me to get fed through my whole spine, so how come I want to be fed burn fire in the spirit heart? Do we differ here? What are your thoughts about this? I'm I stubborn and slow learner? Yes I felt in other chakras, but I don't associate this as spiritual food in other chakras, what are your thoughts about spiritual food?

Last edited:

jbg

The Autobiography of August Bondi ([link] is to free Google Books site). He emigrated from the Austrian Empire as a result of the fallout of the Revolution of 1848 or 1849, and fought both in the Bleeding Kansas battles and for the Union in the Civil War.