• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pinching Feeling Near the Heart?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I would say that I'm not really the healthiest guy around, but I know people that do more unhealthy things than I do without having (at least never told me) any health issues.

So, I'm not too worried about this, but really would like to know what it could possibly be. I have had this once before, but it was over a year since I had this problem.

Basically, occasionally I will feel this pinching feeling in my chest by my heart, if not it being the heart causing the pain itself. I'm sure that this is not heart burn, it feels nothing like it. It is more best described as (but not exactly like) the feeling you get when you crack your knuckles.

According to a diagram of where the heart is located in the body, this feeling I would say occurs in the area of where the left ventricle is, maybe a little lower if anything, because, from looking at the spot from the chest, it would be lower than my nipple. And the feeling I'm pretty sure is coming from inside the body, probably under the chest.

It is off and on, but also unpredictable. Like I said, though, it's only bothersome, nothing that I'd be completely worried about (unless it is something surgically important that I don't know about) but it doesn't hurt or anything.

Thana

Lady
Heart palpatations?
No idea, Could be an an arrhythmia.
But I'm no doctor lol

Get yourself checked out mate,
Better safe than sorry yeah :)

The Sum of Awe

Thanks for your answer! Much appreciated.

But I decided to see what I could sweep up on it over the internet because I have recently been to the hospital for an overdose and, my parents still being angry at me, will probably that I'm still popping, and that being the result, and if it turns out to be nothing serious, I would not like to take that risk. Although, if it turns out that it is something that is serious, then I'm willing to go.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I would say that I'm not really the healthiest guy around, but I know people that do more unhealthy things than I do without having (at least never told me) any health issues.

So, I'm not too worried about this, but really would like to know what it could possibly be. I have had this once before, but it was over a year since I had this problem.

Basically, occasionally I will feel this pinching feeling in my chest by my heart, if not it being the heart causing the pain itself. I'm sure that this is not heart burn, it feels nothing like it. It is more best described as (but not exactly like) the feeling you get when you crack your knuckles.

According to a diagram of where the heart is located in the body, this feeling I would say occurs in the area of where the left ventricle is, maybe a little lower if anything, because, from looking at the spot from the chest, it would be lower than my nipple. And the feeling I'm pretty sure is coming from inside the body, probably under the chest.

It is off and on, but also unpredictable. Like I said, though, it's only bothersome, nothing that I'd be completely worried about (unless it is something surgically important that I don't know about) but it doesn't hurt or anything.

Hello! Does this happen mostly when you are at rest? Maybe sitting in front of your computer table, or relaxing as you watch television?

Or does this happen when you are exerting yourself in any way?

See if you can answer the above and then we can look further?

The Sum of Awe

Hello! Does this happen mostly when you are at rest? Maybe sitting in front of your computer table, or relaxing as you watch television?

Or does this happen when you are exerting yourself in any way?

See if you can answer the above and then we can look further?

The times it has happened is when I'm relaxing

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The times it has happened is when I'm relaxing

Thank goodness for that!

If you are interested in a carpet cleaner's advice :)eek:) there is nothing wrong with your heart!

I'll bet that you're very very stressed out and tense, and also that you have high blood pressure just at this time. This will cause pin pricky twitches and other types of pain, some sudden, some more continuous.

Go see your quack, SumofAwe, and he/she will sort you out, no problem.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Or you may have plaque building up in an artery (I speak from experience). The prudent thing to do is get a stress test because they wouldn't have found mine with a general check-up (I took the foolproof method of discovery--mild heart attack).

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

I get absolutely no feeling from cracking my knuckles, so I can't say. I can only ask that you see a doctor, even though I distrust this course of advice. Good luck.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You may have mild Precordial catch syndrome which would be worth reading about based on what you described (pain from left side, a bit lower than the breast region, not the heart, happens occasionally rather than continuously, feels like cracking, can happen while at movement or rest), but if you have chest pain you should probably see a doctor to be sure rather than just risk reading about self-diagnosis online.

I had a particularly severe case of it when I was young. Usually it's not so bad but I had like the far end of the spectrum of severity with this. A couple of times per day I would have excruciating pain in my chest wall (left side, cracking feeling) which made me freeze in motion and gasp until it went away after several minutes, so my father took me to the doctor. They analyzed my heart and stuff and found no health problems, and said the pain is from the cartilage between the ribs, that there is no known cause, no known treatment, no known cure, but that it doesn't actually cause any harm other than pain. And the pain happens randomly throughout the day so they can't give pain medication for it, so I just had to put up with it.

For me it lasted into adulthood. Apparently it's somewhat common in young people (might have something to do with a growing chest structure?) but rare in adults, but I guess the severe version lasted into adulthood for me. It's not nearly as severe as it used to be though- it happens way less often and with less intensity.

The frequency, intensity, and duration can vary. If you have it once per year and it's not too severe, then that's fairly mild. You're older than the most common occurrence of it, though. I figured I'd point out the link because all the symptoms you describe sound basically like what I had, and I had it checked out by doctors.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Although it is always best to seek medical advice in these matters and mine should be no substitute for it...

The basic way to tell if any pain is cardiac related is to see if there are other related symptoms.

Does the pain radiate into your left arm, back or jaw?

Does the pain cause shortness of breath or become worse upon exertion?

Does the pain occur after eating a certain food?

Does the pain cause sweating, nausea or vomiting?

Just observe the pain, observe your diet, and take it easy. If any of the above happens, go and see your doctor ASAP, although a cardiac stress-test would be a good idea anyway, just to put your mind at ease.

I recently went through the same thing and the doctor told me it was 'anxiety'. I knew what anxiety could do (and among the symptoms of anxiety is chest twinges) but anxiety wasn't doing this.

By process of elimination, I found out I was lactose intolerant.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
It could even be your nerves or gas, Sum. Gas in your chest cavity can be alarming and hurt like hell. But, we can't really self diagnose so get to a doc if it's persistent or you're worried. Be well!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also don't assume its your heart.

Nerves are weird.

It could feel like its coming from your heart but be unrelated.

Get a thorough check up.

The Sum of Awe

Thanks everyone for your replies, I am grateful there are many informative posts here, and I hope I can return the favor by helping you out someday :)

You may have mild Precordial catch syndrome which would be worth reading about based on what you described (pain from left side, a bit lower than the breast region, not the heart, happens occasionally rather than continuously, feels like cracking, can happen while at movement or rest), but if you have chest pain you should probably see a doctor to be sure rather than just risk reading about self-diagnosis online.

I had a particularly severe case of it when I was young. Usually it's not so bad but I had like the far end of the spectrum of severity with this. A couple of times per day I would have excruciating pain in my chest wall (left side, cracking feeling) which made me freeze in motion and gasp until it went away after several minutes, so my father took me to the doctor. They analyzed my heart and stuff and found no health problems, and said the pain is from the cartilage between the ribs, that there is no known cause, no known treatment, no known cure, but that it doesn't actually cause any harm other than pain. And the pain happens randomly throughout the day so they can't give pain medication for it, so I just had to put up with it.

For me it lasted into adulthood. Apparently it's somewhat common in young people (might have something to do with a growing chest structure?) but rare in adults, but I guess the severe version lasted into adulthood for me. It's not nearly as severe as it used to be though- it happens way less often and with less intensity.

The frequency, intensity, and duration can vary. If you have it once per year and it's not too severe, then that's fairly mild. You're older than the most common occurrence of it, though. I figured I'd point out the link because all the symptoms you describe sound basically like what I had, and I had it checked out by doctors.

Actually this post has helped me a lot, looking into it a bit, I can really relate to what is described about it. I think this could be what it is. Thanks, Penumbra, very much appreciated, I have to spread fruballs around in order to give you more :eek:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
As has been stated before, please go see your doctor. The reason I highly advise it is because so many vital organs are located in your chest cavity that self-diagnosis is extremely difficult to do. It could be your heart, your lungs, your digestive tract, nerves, cartilage, or muscle.

I had some severe chest pain in the past, and I was admitted into the hospital after doctors in the ER found abnormalities in my EKG. They gave me a stress test (to where I passed with flying colors), and then began searching for other possibilities. Docs have been guessing I have an autoimmune disorder, though I've tested negative for lupus, RA, and I'm HIV-negative.

But back to you, I highly suggest going to see a doctor. Start with a family practitioner and go from there.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you smoke? If you're a smoker this is possibly related. I've been having something identical to what you described for a couple of years now, and if it is the same then it's not your heart.

I got that checked out, and was told that my heart was fine. Rather the doctors said that my nervous system is what's messed up. It still didn't explain specifically why i get that pain (or at least i didn't get it), but i should've followed up on that to get a clearer picture and didn't.

Looking through the two pages of this thread you can see that there are many possibilities here, so i'd really get it checked out if i were you. I don't think you can be sure through the internet.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Do you smoke? If you're a smoker this is possibly related. I've been having something identical to what you described for a couple of years now, and if it is the same then it's not your heart.

I got that checked out, and was told that my heart was fine. Rather the doctors said that my nervous system is what's messed up. It still didn't explain specifically why i get that pain (or at least i didn't get it), but i should've followed up on that to get a clearer picture and didn't.

Looking through the two pages of this thread you can see that there are many possibilities here, so i'd really get it checked out if i were you. I don't think you can be sure through the internet.

Smokers often suffer from acid reflux too, which can yield some of the symptoms that he has referenced.