• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pictures From Your Faith

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
28256bb9d22574857a840ace9b74a220.jpg

garchenwou4y.png

firedragon

Veteran Member
Post pictures that you like that have something to do with your religion :)

(A lot of folks like this particular avatar, I've noticed, even though it's from here Taking Haredi Suicide Out Of The Shadows – The Forward and that's half why I chose it).

I know there are some Pagans here who have, par example, fertility Gods who have certain features (you know what I'm talking about) and if you want to post those, please put them in spoilers. Thanks.

I have never thought of this. Now that I have, I realised throughout Islamic history there never have been an image that has something to do with the religion. I know some people have attributed certain images but from a theological point of view, there are none.

Interesting thread.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Madras is Chennai now. Rameswaram is about a 10 hour drive further south.

I know I know about madras. But I didnt know Rameswaram is like 10 hours down south. Then maybe I have not been there. Couldn't have gone so far away. But I was too young to remember fully. At that time, busses were segregated. Women and men used to sit on two sides of the bus. I remember that very well. And the rickshaws had those metres that had to be twisted from the top like a winding clock. I guess now there are no metres. Not too sure about that. In the streets they used to have small vendors in a cart selling fruit juice. Fresh as milking off a tree. The last time I went there was to Bangalore I think about 15 years ago. But Chennai was very long ago.

Anyway I'm gonna derail this thread.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Better an ignis fatuus
Than no illume at all

- Emily Dickinson
Sure. I also love uplifting happy ending romantic fiction. No matter how fatuus and counterfactual they might be. For instance, I am addicted to watch the final part of "Officer and Gentleman", and I weep every single time. My hubby thinks I am crazy. Or over romantic.

However, when it comes to truths about the Universe, my beliefs generating system does not rate "better" as a reliable epistemic tool. Does yours?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Sure. I also love uplifting happy ending romantic fiction. No matter how fatuus and counterfactual they might be. For instance, I am addicted to watch the final part of "Officer and Gentleman", and I weep every single time. My hubby thinks I am crazy. Or over romantic.

However, when it comes to truths about the Universe, my beliefs generating system does not rate "better" as a reliable epistemic tool. Does yours?

Ciao

- viole

I don’t think an Ignuus fatuus is what you think it is. It is an illusion, an insubstantial flame, a half glimpsed spark in the dark. Enough to light a candle perhaps, but only if the candle rests in a willing hand.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don’t think an Ignuus fatuus is what you think it is. It is an illusion, an insubstantial flame, a half glimpsed spark in the dark. Enough to light a candle perhaps, but only if the candle rests in a willing hand.
I know what it is, since I know Latin. I had to study it for eight long boring years. Even though it helped me a lot towards learning German in almost no time. Amazing how so called dead languages can help to learn live ones.

So, it came immediately to my attention that "Ignuus fatuus" does not actually exist. Sounds too much like Sillius Soddus, doesn't it? What in fact exists is "ignis fatuus", so it is me doubting now that you know what you are talking about.

My personal recommendation is to try to impress people with Latin, only when you actually learned Latin. That will save you from a lot of self inflicted embarrassment. **mod edit**

Here is a crash course for you:

Ciao

- viole

Last edited by a moderator:

RestlessSoul

I know what it is, since I know Latin. I had to study it for eight long boring years. Even though it helped me a lot towards learning German in almost no time. Amazing how so called dead languages can help to learn live ones.

So, it came immediately to my attention that "Ignuus fatuus" does not actually exist. Sounds too much like Sillius Soddus, doesn't it? What in fact exists is "ignis fatuus", so it is me doubting now that you know what you are talking about.

My personal recommendation is to try to impress people with Latin, only when you actually learned Latin. That will save you from a lot of self inflicted embarrassment.

Here is a crash course for you:

Ciao

- viole

It’s a quote from an Emily Dickinson poem, as I indicated.

The poem is a short one, about how lack of belief diminishes the quality and experience of human life. You can read it here…

https://www.americanpoems.com/poets/emilydickinson/those-dying-then/

Last edited by a moderator:

Dropship

HIGH PRIEST- "Jesus of Nazareth alias the Christ, the Messiah and the Son of God, you stand accused of upsetting us real bad, how do you plead?"

JESUS- "On yer bike Jack"

rel-jes-finger-high-p.jpg

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It’s a quote from an Emily Dickinson poem, as I indicated.
Well, then she should study latin instead.

The poem is a short one, about how lack of belief diminishes the quality and experience of human life. You can read it here…
Which is applicable, at best, to the experience of human life, as experienced by human instance Emily Dickinson, who, I hope, did not crown herself as arbiter of what constitutes quality for human life, and what not.

For instance, I find mathematical theorems something that really enhance my experience of human life, together with being skeptical about comfortable and “fatuus” things that are rationally not tenable, while I consider poems, including Ms. Dickinson’s, independently of their length, utterly boring and irrelevant.

Now what?

ciao

- viole

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Well, then she should study latin instead.

Which is applicable, at best, to the experience of human life, as experienced by human instance Emily Dickinson, who, I hope, did not crown herself as arbiter of what constitutes quality for human life, and what not.

For instance, I find mathematical theorems something that really enhance my experience of human life, together with being skeptical about comfortable and “fatuus” things that are rationally not tenable, while I consider poems, including Ms. Dickinson’s, independently of their length, utterly boring and irrelevant.

Now what?

ciao

- viole

There’s a kind of poetry in maths I suppose

But there are more things in heaven and earth Horatio, than are dreamed of in thy philosophy - as the greatest poet of them all observed

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This Tablet by the Bab.

images (21).jpeg

The Star Tablet of the Bab

The British Library haykal of the Bab

The haykal which the British Library holds (Or 6887) is on a large sheet of pale pink paper (27.5cm x 40.5cm) in the exquisitely beautiful and carefully written handwriting of the Bab. Although the words are written very small—such that a magnifying glass is necessary to read it—almost every word is clearly legible and elegantly formed. There is no indication of the person for whom this haykal was written. It is possible to speculate that it was written towards the end of the Bab’s life because it is similar in wording to such works as the Kitāb al-Asmāʼ and the Panj Sha’n, which were written while the Bab was imprisoned in isolated fortresses in the northwest of Iran in the last three years of his life.

Regards Tony