• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pics of Your Religion!

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
eGDikKf.jpg

Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church, Butte, MT
Why are the Eastern Orthodox churches always so much prettier than Catholic and other such ones?

sampuna

old yogi.jpg

Age is not a limit for this devout meditator - Tha Ba Wa Centre, Myanmar.

The Buddha's extortion resound :
"vayadhammā saṅkhārā appamādena sampādetha "
All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
A rather interesting print of Lord Caitanya from the 1940s, in that later ISKCON obviously took this exact print for a template oil painting of the 1960s. Nothing wrong with that but ... interesting, look at this print of Caitanya from about 70 years ago.
qsYwaQ.jpg

Sundance

Premium Member
download (3).png

This is the Nyame symbol, one of the most well-known of African religious symbols. Nyame translates to "Except God, I fear none."

Sundance

Premium Member
Nice but how do you term it monistic with Ngula, Asase Ya, Tano, Bia, Anansi, Abosom and Nsamanto

That's actually a good question: I don't know, but perhaps "monistic" is not the best descriptor for Indigenous African Religions. You're correct in calling it out, a better term would be "henotheistic" ....:oops:

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Pagans (Ásatrúar) in Iceland celebrate the first day of summer. According to Icelandic tradition, the first day of summer takes place this year on Thorsday 4/23.

800494.jpg

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I see you are not in step with vernal equinox. Perhaps when the tradition was formed, April 23 was the day of vernal equinox. It slipped back by a month (precession of equinoxes). That will be a little more than 2,000 years ago.

Sundance

Premium Member
This is because we have a lot of experience with monistic, henotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic views. Ours has all. :D

Which is why if I wasn't already a Neopagan, I'd be a Hindu hands down! Peace and Blessings to you, dear Aupmanyav!

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I see you are not in step with vernal equinox. Perhaps when the tradition was formed, April 23 was the day of vernal equinox. It slipped back by a month (precession of equinoxes). That will be a little more than 2,000 years ago.

I think you are exactly right. June 21 is Midsummer relative to the Vernal Equinox, but not relative to the Icelandic reckoning of the first day of summer. The western calendar is seriously out of whack. The western zodiac is off by one full sign relative to jyotish and the sidereal calendar, due to precession of the equinoxes. I may not be Hindu anymore, but I still place my confidence in that method. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Actually we too are out of whack and need to adjust the calendar. We take Ashwinis (beta and gamma Arietis) to be the asterism in which the sun rises on the day of vernal equinox. But that is not correct. The sun now rises in the asterism of Revati (ζ Piscium) on the day of vernal equinox. We too are out of date by one month. There is always a delay in making a change in the calendar, and even when a change is made, the orthodox do not accept it readily.