• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picking at the mind of Niccolò Machiavelli, and the 'Scientific Spirit'

Cooky

Veteran Member
I was wondering if anyone here had ever read the poetry or the philosophical works of Niccolò Machiavelli, and can articulate, in contrast or in similarity, his style with that of the 'Scientific Spirit' of modern Western civilization?

Niccolò Machiavelli - Wikipedia

Machiavelli is sometimes seen as the prototype of a modern empirical scientist, building generalizations from experience and historical facts, and emphasizing the uselessness of theorizing with the imagination.[49]

He emancipated politics from theology and moral philosophy. He undertook to describe simply what rulers actually did and thus anticipated what was later called the scientific spirit in which questions of good and bad are ignored, and the observer attempts to discover only what really happens.

— Joshua Kaplan, 2005

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh I need to read the Prince. I’ll get to it hopefully after my latest batch of TBR books.
He was fun in the Assassins Creed franchise, which portrayed him as a keen strategist, if a bit cold at times. But always had cunning plots going. Machiavellian one might say. ;)