• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Picking And Choosing One's Way Through The Old Testament

Skwim

Veteran Member

In a conversation not too long ago a member here said the laws and guidelines in the Old Testament were written for the Jews, and that they don't apply to Christians. Now I know he didn't mean all Old Testament laws and guidelines, just those he was finding troublesome.

My question here is that in light of what is said in the New Testament:

2nd timothy 3:16
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

how can a Christian honestly dismiss any parts of the Old Testament?

sooda

Veteran Member

In a conversation not too long ago a member here said the laws and guidelines in the Old Testament were written for the Jews, and that they don't apply to Christians. Now I know he didn't mean all Old Testament laws and guidelines, just those he was finding troublesome.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

So much of the Old Testament is borrowed from much older myths from cultures like Egypt, Babylon, Ugarit and Sumer.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Law is for the Jewish people not for the Gentiles. As Gentiles we are don't have to obey the Jewish Law because it was given to them not us.
Besides yourself, who says so?

So much of the Old Testament is borrowed from much older myths from cultures like Egypt, Babylon, Ugarit and Sumer.
Of course, but does this invalidate its pertinence to Christians?

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
I actually don't know where to start since it is in just about all the material he wrote:

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man
Ephesians 2:13-15

For as a means of righteousness Christ is the termination of Law to every believer.
Romans 10:4

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
The Law is for the Jewish people not for the Gentiles. As Gentiles we are don't have to obey the Jewish Law because it was given to them not us.
Yes. Christians got stuck with that stupid one "love one another".
I swear christians really want the other ones, because that one is is is is soooooo. .. Unreasonable and always getting in the way!

Although i am pretty sure it tends to be interpreted (my congregation only, and maybe some other ones maybe) lol.

I am left handed and left Means sinister so what do i know.

74x12

The point of 2 Tim. 3:16 is not that we are under the Law as Paul makes himself clear many times. The old Testament scriptures are used for spiritual examples and teaching etc. Not as a book of Laws like the Jews use it.

The Reverend Bob

Yes. Christians got stuck with that stupid one "love one another".
I swear christians really want the other ones, because that one is is is is soooooo. .. Unreasonable and always getting in the way!

Although i am pretty sure it tends to be interpreted (my congregation only, and maybe some other ones maybe) lol.

I am left handed and left Means sinister so what do i know.
Well it does get in the way...people are always interpreting it broadly as to mean "everybody"

The Reverend Bob

The point of 2 Tim. 3:16 is not that we are under the Law as Paul makes himself clear many times. The old Testament scriptures are used for spiritual examples and teaching etc. Not as a book of Laws like the Jews use it.
The moral principles in the Law still stands, but it is the Spirit of the Law that counts for us rather than the Letter

David T

Premium Member
Well it does get in the way...people are always interpreting it broadly as to mean "everybody"
Thats crazy. I actually dont like anyone.. I barely can stand this place, like what actually have to meet people in font!!! Omg. See this i think "love one another is unnatural!!!! Not scientific. This is why i am a devout atheist and love richard dawkins, because he is a jerk and is completely reasoned and scientific about it!!

NOTE: I am not an atheist i am not a believer i am not even remotely agnostic about that. I PRETEND to be an atheist FOR EFFECT SOMETIMES. Like a moment of normal. Strange world normal is!

David T

Premium Member
How can you write sideways??"
HA i remember the evil english
" you are cursived now lefty" its an evil. Language

This is why I converted to pakistani i write urdu the godly language right to left.

Infact my qwerty board is backwards even..

None of the above is true. Except that first part!

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

God makes a new covenant with humanity in the New Testament where He promises forgiveness of all Christians' sins and restores fellowship with those whose hearts are turned toward Him. Jesus Christ is the mediator of the New Covenant, and His death on the cross is the basis for Christians being able to disregard ancient Mosaic law.

Luke 22:20 English Standard Version (ESV) 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

hqdefault.jpg

Skwim

Veteran Member
I actually don't know where to start since it is in just about all the material he wrote:

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man
Ephesians 2:13-15

For as a means of righteousness Christ is the termination of Law to every believer.
Romans 10:4

A few other translations for comparison

(1) Ephesians 2:13-15 (NRSV)
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. 15 He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace,
AND

(2) Ephesians 2:13-15(ERV)
13 Yes, at one time you were far away from God, but now in Christ Jesus, you are brought near to him. You are brought near to God through the blood sacrifice of Christ. 14 Christ is the reason we are now at peace. He made us Jews and you who are not Jews one people. We were separated by a wall of hate that stood between us, but Christ broke down that wall. By giving his own body, 15 Christ ended the law with its many commands and rules. His purpose was to make the two groups become one in him. By doing this he would make peace.
AND

(3)Ephesians 2:13-15 (NKJV)
13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace,

So, as I read the translations:

(Yours) "he . . . has made us . . . by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances,"
(1) "He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances,"
(2) "Christ ended the law with its many commands and rules."
(3) "having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances,"

Jesus abolished the law of commandments,

Meaning that the those laid down by god in the Old Testament no longer apply, which include the 613 Commandments in the Old Testament Law. A person is no longer forbidden to "lie with beasts,"(Leviticus 18:23) "posses inaccurate weights and measures,"(Deuteronomy 25:13) or "sell captive women."( Deuteronomy 21:14) However! Jesus does say we still have to abide by the Ten Commandments. But other laws, such as: accepting a ransom from a wilful murderer,(Numbers 35:32 ), Cursing Jews (Leviticus 19:14), and having sex with one's mother (Leviticus 18:7) are now null and void.

Enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
So the Christian is no longer forbidden to curse Jews, or lie with one's mother. How nice. And homosexuals can go ahead and sex it up with no fear of going to hell for it. Now that's good!

By the way, just where does it say that the Old Testament laws don't apply to Christians, but are only to be used as spiritual examples and for teaching?