• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics > Theology

... Consider the famous Hubble Ultra Deep Field image, which magnfied a tiny speck of the night sky in a random direction. Every fleck of light in that image is an entire galaxy (except those few large balls of light with spikes sticking out--those are foreground stars); each galaxy contains hundreds of billions of stars like our Sun. Based on this image and other data, it has been estimated that there are many hundreds of billions of large galaxies in the observable universe. And if the inflation model of big bang theory is correct, the size of the entire universe compared to the size of the observable universe is like comparing the observable universe to a single proton.

Now, I have heard it seriously suggested that nothing is meaningful, beautiful, etc. if Yahweh did not create it. But go stare at the Hubble Deep Field for a few minutes. Then tell me how "meaningful" it would be if all that was merely leftovers from the special creation of one particular speck, on which woman came from a rib and a talking snake made her realize she was naked.

The science of physics, in particular, overtook its religious predecessor and counterpart--theology--and left it in the dust long ago, in my opinion. This shouldn't be surprising, since the methods of physics involve questioning, calculating, experimenting, and ruling out hypotheses; theology in general does not, and cannot, do any of those things, since no known measurement device can distinguish divine revelation from the voices produced in one's own head. This is why we remember Isaac Newton for his lasting contributions to fundamental physics; not his large volume of work in Bible numerology, or the fact that he succeeded in pleasing God by dying a virgin. It is also why Albert Einstein is often claimed by the religious as a God-fearing man, even though he rejected the idea of a personal God and thought religion "childish".

Stephen Hawking freely uses the metaphor of God, as do a few of my physics textbooks, on occasion. But this is a consequence of the physicist's annoying habit of encroaching on, and conquering, the theologian's turf.

A case in point:

When Benjamin Franklin invented the "lightning attractor" in the 18th century, the priests, reverends, and many other self-appointed spokesmen for God had understandable reservations. The lightning rod, as it came to be known, seemed to interfere with the Divine order. The Harvard-educated Reverend Thomas Prince (after whom Princeton, Massachusetts is named) believed these abominable "points of Iron" would force God to take more drastic measures. In 1755, he published an addendum to his sermon "Earthquakes the Works of God and Tokens of His Just Displeasure" saying, in part:
"the more points of Iron are erected round the Earth, to draw the Electrical Substance out of the Air, the more the Earth must needs be charged The Reverend Thomas Prince with it. And therefore it seems worthy of Consideration whether any part of the Earth, being fuller of this terrible Substance, may not be exposed to more shocking Earthquakes. In Boston are more erected than anywhere else in New England; and Boston seems to be more dreadfully Shaken, - 0, there is no getting out of the mighty Hand of God. If we still think to avoid it in the Air we cannot in the Earth; yea, it may grow more fatal."​

(I believe he refers to the 1755 Boston earthquake.) Presumably, the good Reverend used the Standard Method of the Theologian in Reaching his Conclusions: he Closed his eyes, let his Imagination run wild, and yea, he Wrote down the Results.

Of course, it's easy for us to dismiss his argument as silly today, after hundreds of years of success using lightning rods. But imagine living in 1755. There was no such thing as shifting tectonic plates or a Richter scale back then, no unified theory of electricity and magnetism; there were simply Earthquakes and Volcanoes, and that eerie glowing Substance responsible for Lightning. Their origins were not of this world; they were the awesome manifestations of Heaven's will.

So, in my opinion Rev. Prince's logic was pretty sound; it was simply based on bad premises. Remember that most people back then, including well-educated reverends, truly believed lightning and earthquakes were under divine control. Given that assumption, erecting a lightning rod is sort of like running away from a divine spanking; the Heavenly Parents will simply chase you down, shouting "You're only making it worse for yourself!"

So why don't we buy the good Reverend's argument today? Because we reject his premise. Most of us no longer believe destructive phenomena are instruments of Divine Judgment. And the reason we came to reject it, the reason countless lives have been saved, has nothing to do with breakthroughs in theology.

Your thoughts?
From Frey vs. Frey

How has the relationship between physics and theology changed over the centuries? Can/does physics address questions that are/were "theological"?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I think theology only comes into the question when the physicist allows their own faith to interfere if there are missing connections in thewir work. This is not an attack on religion, but have you noticed that physics seems to interfere with the words of God whenever new scientific theories are presented? Scientific theories are always presented before the bible. Why? The bible does not serve a purpose in physics. Although many of the scientists who have made huge innovations in science/chemistry/physics were God-fearing, many are not. I think the main issue is trying to apply theories to a biblical timeline in the past.

I think there is a new age of scientific freedom. Scientists no longer work for a church organisation like in old times. Their results no longer have to fit within biblical timelines like the nebular hypothesis first theorized in the 1700's and then refined. Another example would be the formation and separation of Pangaea.

I think this may be a bold statement but if you look at the history of modern physics (from say the 1500's onwards), separation from "God" has moved parallel with scientific advancement.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Physics > Theology?

I guess when discussing, or explaining, physical phenomenon, yes... Outside of that, they are different fields...

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Using a thing created in this universe to explore the universe isn't going to allow you to measure something generally considered to be outside, or beyond, or in addition to the universe ;)

Entirely different fields, although there can perhaps be some overlap in some areas.

Okay, let's ask one of many possible questions: Are earthquakes "works of God and tokens of his just displeasure"? I think this is a legitimate question which must have some definite answer, whether or not we can discover it.

Rev. Prince thought the answer was "yes". Presumably Rev. Prince used the methods of the theologian in arriving at this answer. What are those methods?

Can the methods of physics (or geology/geophysics) provide any useful information on this question?

Is one method more likely to arrive at answers that are actually true?

If not, why do you think the consensus on this question was "yes" for thousands of years, and why do you think it shifted to "no" in the past few centuries?

Last edited:

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Okay, let's ask one of many possible questions: Are earthquakes "works of God and tokens of his just displeasure"? I think this is a legitimate question which must have some definite answer, whether or not we can discover it.

Rev. Prince thought the answer was "yes". Presumably Rev. Prince used the methods of the theologian in arriving at this answer. What are those methods?

Can the methods of physics (or geology/geophysics) provide any useful information on this question?

If not, why do you think the consensus on this question was "yes" for thousands of years, and why do you think it shifted to "no" in the past few centuries?

Strictly speaking, neither method is more likely to arrive at a true answer. Being what they are, theologies try to explain God, and physics try to explain... well... physical stuff. And like I've said, using a physical tool to measure non-physical stuff is rather difficult, and using a non-physical tool to measure physical stuff is again, very difficult indeed.

Geology will show you that physical stuff happens, and what physical things can cause those physical events. But it won't show whether or not it was a result of God twisting a few knobs and pulling a few levers.

Likewise, theologies can say "God likes doing these things and likes doing those things" but it won't show how earthquakes happen in a physical sense.

These two tools aren't equipped to answer the questions of the other discipline - though they can, in some areas, be combined where they overlap.

But methylated ghosts you sort of didn't answer my questions....for example, why do you think the view has changed?

Don't you think it would be significant if sensors found earthquakes had no physical origin....that they any defied predictable, physical understanding of matter/energy, sparing churches even while destroying areas around them...that the worst sinners (or cities of sinners) were indeed targeted? And similarly, isn't it significant that those things were not found, that earthquakes arise from (in principle, oftentimes) predictable physical phenomena?

You refer to non-physical tools....what is a "non-physical tool" and how can we use them to establish....anything?

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
But methylated ghosts you sort of didn't answer my questions....for example, why do you think the view has changed?

My apologies :D

I'd say it's because people are now putting more importance on tangible results. Things you can see and feel and hear, rather than things you can feel emotionally, or instinctively.

Don't you think it would be significant if sensors found earthquakes had no physical origin....that they any defied predictable, physical understanding of matter/energy, sparing churches even while destroying areas around them...that the worst sinners (or cities of sinners) were indeed targeted? And similarly, isn't it significant that those things were not found, that earthquakes arise from (in principle, oftentimes) predictable physical phenomena?
Perhaps, but just because these things might happen (which, of course, they don't normally ;)) doesn't mean it's god's work, you could easily scratch it up to coincidence.

You refer to non-physical tools....what is a "non-physical tool" and how can we use them to establish....anything?

Theology relies on "non-physical" tools. It's language, thought, emotion, instinct, meditation... all the things that can, at least theoretically if mind is separate from brain, exist without physical reality.

Physics relies more on physical tools i.e. measurements of force, mass, speed... all things that exist only in physical reality.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard

Earthquakes are a result of moving tectonic plates, uplifting via hotspots and sometimes smaller ones are felt by rifting which occurs underwater. Physics explains the movement of waves causing matter movement and geology explains the soil movement, the tectonic movement and the volcanic activity amongst other things.

If earthquakes are a result of God and can be proven ill renounce atheism and become a born again christian.

Bishadi

It seems to me the difference is honesty.

The initial intent of the sciences (curiosity) is within honest observances.

In contrast, many faith require complacent acceptance and the denial of many scientific observations that address phenomena.

B Franklin was only trying to assist other human beings.

Putting a church on ground higher than the lowlying slope was not magic, it was using intelligence.

We are capable to think and Eve shared that what someone may believe is often untrue.

Being honest to the point of putting yourself on the floor, for the benefit of others, is the best magic any can experience.

Physics, math and the sciences they support are not to harm but to enable man to think and understand, just as most religious texts share is the inevitable, and have faith the truth WILL exist.

Have faith in truth!

Last edited:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have to say... I love the idea that god is going to punnish us with earthquakes for putting up lightning rods. :D

It just goes to show that some things never change.

wa:do

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
No...

Probably has something to do with a physical cause having been discovered... however, my answer of no has little, to nothing, to do with physics...

Earthquakes are a result of moving tectonic plates, uplifting via hotspots and sometimes smaller ones are felt by rifting which occurs underwater. Physics explains the movement of waves causing matter movement and geology explains the soil movement, the tectonic movement and the volcanic activity amongst other things.
Indeed... but none of that says anything about divine involvement(yea or nay)...

Really? The fact that earthquakes obey predictable physical laws, which are never broken, in patterns that have nothing to do with who sinned or where....that's not useful information? It would have come as a shock to most people, most of the time, throughout most of human history to know this....do you think you might be taking it for granted?

Probably has something to do with a physical cause having been discovered...
Bingo. :yes:

however, my answer of no has little, to nothing, to do with physics...
I'm curious...what does your answer have to do with? If you base it on 'theological' or 'Biblical' grounds, what are those grounds, and what's wrong with the arguments put forward by most theologians in Judeo/Christian/Islamic history? For them it was virtually taken for granted that earthquakes and other inexplicable catastrophes were interventions from Heaven....after all, God made the Sun stand still, made the dead walk in Jerusalem, created towers of fire, sent plagues, sent mana to rescue people, etc. Before modern science it was virtually taken for granted that God actively caused things like earthquakes.

Indeed... but none of that says anything about divine involvement(yea or nay)...
Well, it does say something about divine involvement. It says that IF there is divine involvement, it is done in just such a way as to exactly mimick the effects we would expect if there were NO involvement (unthinking, physical laws alone). It didn't have to turn out that way. We could have found that natural phenomena do not obey any simple, predictable natural laws any more than the movement of a toy can be predicted when an intelligent being (like a child) is interacting with it.....

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The fact that earthquakes obey predictable physical laws, which are never broken, in patterns that have nothing to do with who sinned or where....that's not useful information?
It is extremely useful information in other ways, but not for answering the question asked.

I'm curious...what does your answer have to do with?
Theology ;)

If you base it on 'theological' or 'Biblical' grounds, what are those grounds, and what's wrong with the arguments put forward by most theologians in Judeo/Christian/Islamic history?
The grounds of God as I know Him ;) Also, I've not read the theological arguements for God causing earthquakes(perhaps I will have an opportunity in the near future, but as of now, alas I have not yet)...
It would have come as a shock to most people, most of the time, throughout most of human history to know this....do you think you might be taking it for granted?
A distinct possibility, that I can not accurately answer, as I've not existed in a state of not knowing that there were physical laws...

Before modern science it was virtually taken for granted that God actively caused things like earthquakes.
That God caused all earthquaks, or that God causes some earthquakes?

Well, it does say something about divine involvement.
I meant to say, with the parentheses, that it said nothing about whether or not God has been involved with natural disasters...

It says that IF there is divine involvement, it is done in just such a way as to exactly mimick the effects we would expect if there were NO involvement (unthinking, physical laws alone). It didn't have to turn out that way. We could have found that natural phenomena do not obey any simple, predictable natural laws any more than the movement of a toy can be predicted when an intelligent being (like a child) is interacting with it.....
What if the laws are part of God's interaction? I am fairly sure, I clearly remember reading, that some early scientists(I want to say Newton for one, but not 100%) believed that studying nature was worthwile only because God would create a world with laws... I could be wrong on this though ;)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
How has the relationship between physics and theology changed over the centuries?

They had a great relationship, but physics was more apt to change and make new friends. Theology may have been a bit slower, but I think that sometimes they renew their relationship when no one is looking.

Can/does physics address questions that are/were "theological"?

Maybe in an impersonal sort of way, but physics is the search for scientific patterns, whereas theology appears to be more romantic: seeking the personal meanings behind our experiences.

Both are important, and I think it's irrelevant to say that one has superiority over another.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
No...

Probably has something to do with a physical cause having been discovered... however, my answer of no has little, to nothing, to do with physics...

Why would it? Divine involvement and geology are not words you usually hear in the same sentence. I thought it went without saying from my posts that earthquakes have nothing to do with God.
Earthquakes fall into many physics fields, Wave propogation being the obvious major one. Lightning deals with magnetism, the atomic theory, the laws of motion and many more.

Generally, i do not see how theology has anything to do with things so easily observed and proven with physics, is physics too complicated for some so instead they make laws involving God?

It is extremely useful information in other ways, but not for answering the question asked.
The question was:
Are earthquakes "works of God and tokens of his just displeasure"?
and
It seems to me the answer is clearly 'yes'. Here's why.
Consider the following hypothesis:

1. Earthquakes are a natural phenomenon which have nothing to do with human sin.
Many, many observations could potentially falsify this hypothesis. Yet, it goes without saying that despite a preponderance of observation, the hypothesis has not been falsified.

Admittedly, hypothesis (1) is not incompatible with this hypothesis:
2. Earthquakes are caused by space aliens
Now, (2) could be demonstrated (not 'proved'; e.g. we could observe alien ships come down from the sky and shoot their 'earthquake ray' at us--this would be rather compelling evidence; subtler forms of evidence are imaginable). But (2) cannot be falsified. That is, it is not incompatible with any observation imaginable--including observations which support hypothesis (1). (After all, our entire universe could be a computer simulation created by the aliens, who exist outside of our space and time, and they adjusted our physical laws precisely to cause each and every earthquake that has ever occurred--or just some of them.) The same arguments apply if you replace "space aliens" in (2) with "God", "demons", "spirits", or other magical beings.

Can science inform our conclusions about these hypotheses? Well, we have a lot of observations which support hypothesis (1). Remarkably, despite many experiments using many methods, we have yet to observe anything which rules out hypothesis (1). We also do not observe anything which demonstrates hypothesis (2), again despite many experiments and despite many imaginable ways such observations could occur. We also do not observe anything which rules out (2), but we expected as much, since all conceivable observations are not incompatible with (2), the way it is posed.

Now, you could look at the evidence and conclude:
"Earthquakes obey natural laws. But science cannot disprove the Space Aliens. The Aliens I know work through the laws of nature. Physics and Alienology are just two different ways of knowing," etc.
But it seems to me a rational, honest person would simply say:
"The evidence strongly supports (1). There is no evidence for (2), or any of its variations."
Which is quite different from confidently declaring:
"Earthquakes are works of God and tokens of his just displeasure."
Therefore, physics can indeed provide useful information on this issue because it causes a rational, honest person to come to different conclusions about hypotheses (1) and (2) depending on what is discovered.

Okay...how does Theology arrive at your answer, and not the answer of countless others?

The grounds of God as I know Him ;)
Suppose God as someone else knows him arrives at a different answer. How could you, him, me, or anyone figure out which one of you is mistaken and which one is correct?

That God caused all earthquaks, or that God causes some earthquakes?
In general, some (the important ones);

I meant to say, with the parentheses, that it said nothing about whether or not God has been involved with natural disasters...
Well it could have been demonstrated that God is involved in natural disasters. The most obvious way it could have been demonstrated is to hear the loud booming voice and watch the angels go to work, as described in some OT events. But subtler ways are imaginable....after all, the IRS, Vegas casinos, credit card fraud investigators, and archeologists picking out fragment of pottery from ordinary stones are able to detect 'unnatural' causes by a lot of very clever methods. There's no reason to assume those same clever methods couldn't detect the overt influence of Heaven in worldly affairs.....it IS useful to find there is NO evidence for such influence....today, we simply take this fact for granted, i.m.o.

What if the laws are part of God's interaction?
This is possible, just as it is possible the laws are part of the Aliens' interaction. We might even uncover evidence for these possibilities....but so far we have none, not for lack of searching. Don't you agree?

Last edited:

rojse

RF Addict
Stephen Hawking freely uses the metaphor of God, as do a few of my physics textbooks, on occasion. But this is a consequence of the physicist's annoying habit of encroaching on, and conquering, the theologian's turf.

Different usages of the word God, few of which have to do with religion as you envisage.

Seven

six plus one
Physics is to theology as chemistry is to alchemy.

Personally I find it hard to make room for a non deist god in our current understanding of the universe. I think we cling to god out of habit.

Last edited: