• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physics or Spirit?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

For 18 years John taught high school physics, and says it's not physics. I agree.
I've seen this played out before, but the end result does not appear to be consistent with physics.

Your thoughts, and why.
It can be explained by physics. If the Hand of God is involved, there is no evidence for us to know.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
"Luck" is just the label we put on events with seemingly low probability of which the outcome is positive for the person or group in question.

"bad luck" is the opposite: events of seemingly low probability of which the outcome is negative.

It's kind of bizar that you have to have this explained to you.
You had to explain this to somebody? Really? That is wild.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't come from anywhere. It doesn't exist as a "thing" independent of human minds.

It's just the label we put on things with low probability and with positive / negative outcome for the one involved.

Hence why it is frequently followed or preceded by "...what are the chances! so (un)lucky!"

Winning the lottery is lucky. It has low probability and the outcome is positive.
Losing the lottery is not unlucky, because losing at the lottery is almost guaranteed due to the probabilities involved.

Being struck by lightning is unlucky. It has low probability and the outcome is negative.

Why do you need this explained? Didn't you know this?
They aren't exactly exotic english words..............
OK. I see.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am not sure. That's why I wanted to investigate, through experts in the area of physics.
If I were a detective on the scene, with knowledge in physics, I would be in a better position to determine the facts.
I'm not a detective, but I am a transportation engineer who works in road safety.

I see nothing in the video that needs anything but physics to explain what happened.

David Davidovich

For 18 years John taught high school physics, and says it's not physics. I agree.
I've seen this played out before, but the end result does not appear to be consistent with physics.

Your thoughts, and why.
I'm totally confused. And perhaps I should read more posts in this thread before I respond, but I thought that Jehovah's Witnesses believed that collectively, the clergy class of Christendom was the symbolic man of lawlessness who is described in 2 Thessalonians 2:3. Therefore, I don't understand why nPeace is saying that it's not physics:

8 Who are they? The evidence shows that they are the body of proud, ambitious clergymen of Christendom, who over the centuries have set themselves up as a law unto themselves. This can be seen by the fact that there are thousands of different religions and sects in Christendom, each with its clergy, yet each conflicting with the others in some aspect of doctrine or practice. This divided state is a clear evidence that they do not follow God’s law. They cannot be from God. (Compare Micah 2:12; Mark 3:24; Romans 16:17; 1 Corinthians 1:10.) What all these religions have in common is that they do not hold fast to the Bible’s teachings, having violated the rule: “Do not go beyond the things that are written.”—1 Corinthians 4:6; see also Matthew 15:3, 9, 14.
Also, any clarity or further explanation is welcomed from you, nPeace.

Last edited:

David Davidovich

It doesn't come from anywhere. It doesn't exist as a "thing" independent of human minds.

It's just the label we put on things with low probability and with positive / negative outcome for the one involved.

Hence why it is frequently followed or preceded by "...what are the chances! so (un)lucky!"

Winning the lottery is lucky. It has low probability and the outcome is positive.
Losing the lottery is not unlucky, because losing at the lottery is almost guaranteed due to the probabilities involved.

Being struck by lightning is unlucky. It has low probability and the outcome is negative.

Why do you need this explained? Didn't you know this?
They aren't exactly exotic english words..............
I agree with what you're saying, TG, however, many fundamentalists believe that "luck" is a bad pagan thing. Therefore, that is why I always try to use the words "fortunate" or "unfortunate" when I'm around fundamentalists:

GOD OF GOOD LUCK, GOD OF DESTINY

The apostate Jews in the time of Isaiah were involved in worshiping “the god of Good Luck” (Heb., gadh) and “the god of Destiny” (Heb., meniʹ). The worshipers of these deities set a table of food and drink before them. Jehovah said to such worshipers that he would destine them to slaughter by the sword.—Isa 65:11, 12.
click here

nPeace

Veteran Member
I'm not a detective, but I am a transportation engineer who works in road safety.

I see nothing in the video that needs anything but physics to explain what happened.
I saw how physics was involved. Otherwise I could not see it. Can you explain how you saw it, because nobody could. Only one person tried. That's @Viker. All the others were just yapping :D It's physics.
So, you'll do more than yap, right? ;)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Your thoughts, and why.
You would have a point if that car went through the other as if it was not there. I am afraid your bar on miracles is a tad too low.

ciao

- viole

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I saw how physics was involved. Otherwise I could not see it. Can you explain how you saw it, because nobody could. Only one person tried. That's @Viker. All the others were just yapping :D It's physics.
So, you'll do more than yap, right? ;)
I think you've heard this already, but it looks like the errant SUV hit those posts, which bent over partially, and launched the SUV into the air, causing it to land near the Hyundai.

Do you see it differently?

BTW - what's your take on the priest's account? By his own admission, he failed to stop to help... according to him because he didn't realize there was a collision (even though he says he saw "something").

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's a miracle that the post was exactly where it needed to be when some idiot tried to drive up it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's a miracle that the post was exactly where it needed to be when some idiot tried to drive up it.
From what I can tell from the one angle of the video, the post actually made things worse.

It doesn't look to me like the two vehicles were going to collide. IMO, it might have been a near miss, but still a miss... or at very worse, a glancing blow to the Hyundai's rear that would have had very little potential to injure the priest.

OTOH, that launch? I'm surprised the SUV's air bags didn't go off. I don't think the video mentioned the SUV driver's injuries, just that the reason the SUV driver lost control was that they had a seizure.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I think you've heard this already, but it looks like the errant SUV hit those posts, which bent over partially, and launched the SUV into the air, causing it to land near the Hyundai.
I did not hear that, no. Did you say it?
Bent over partially, and launched the SUV? What is it.. a rubber pole, or something?
That's magic. Not physics. I have never seen a pole, lighter than a vehicle struck, bend partially, and then launch the vehicle. Have you? Must be a retaliation pole. :D

The only explanation I got, was that the pole dipped into the gutter, and sprung back...
Elastic pole... I would say. ;)

Do you see it differently?
Yes. I did see how the pole sprung back, and why.
I can't see it happening any other way... by physics.

BTW - what's your take on the priest's account? By his own admission, he failed to stop to help... according to him because he didn't realize there was a collision (even though he says he saw "something").
Take on the priests account? What are you talking about?
What... did I say John should get a medal?

David Davidovich

I didn't get a chance to read this entire thread, therefore, I would like to know if someone could be so kind as to tell me what was the actual answer to the OP answer as to whether the priest was spared from the accident by physics or by spirit?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I didn't get a chance to read this entire thread, therefore, I would like to know if someone could be so kind as to tell me what was the actual answer to the OP answer as to whether the priest was spared from the accident by physics or by spirit?
Neither. He was never at risk.