• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physically Ill During Baptism

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You are right.
I should empathize more with @1137 .
I am sorry dude.
There was a time when i would have felt the same way.
It is sometimes hard to see children being subjected to something that seems to be not only unnecessary but potentially psychologically harmful.
I was baptized as a child, had god parents and all of that.
I do not remember the baptism at all.

I was baptized, and whilst I find it mildly irritating (very mildly) if I actually think about it, it had exactly zero impact on my life. Luckily for me, my parents always accepted my beliefs as mine to own, even whilst they raised me loosely Christian.
Someone (maybe you?) made the point earlier in the thread that the baptism doesn't harm the kid directly, and I'd agree. Still find them hard to sit through. Funnily enough, I find them much easier to sit through where the parents intend to 'walk the walk' and raise the kid Christian, even though that is not how I think a kid should be raised (broadly speaking here) as opposed to sitting through one where the parents are talking crap and have no intention of raising the kid Christian.

I'm not 100% sure why. Obviously the hypocrisy is troubling to me, but probably more than it should be. :shrug:

allfoak

Alchemist
I'm not 100% sure why. Obviously the hypocrisy is troubling to me, but probably more than it should be.
It may not have been hypocrisy if you think about it.
I was not there for the baptism but i just had this discussion with the parents of a new born and the grandmother of the child a few months back.
The child got baptized despite the initial objections of the parents.
The parents have no intention of raising their daughter Christian or any other religion for that matter.
Unless the "Walking Dead" is a religion?

David T

Premium Member
I couldn't really stand living with my step parents. It was like living in an insane asylum is that house.
Ha!!! I grew up in a dysfunctional alcoholic home. I exchanged it for a sober non alcoholic even more dysfunction family the one I married into. What was I thinking they were, were NORMALZ AAAAARGH. lol all true btw

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It may not have been hypocrisy if you think about it.
I was not there for the baptism but i just had this discussion with the parents of a new born and the grandmother of the child a few months back.
The child got baptized despite the initial objections of the parents.
The parents have no intention of raising their daughter Christian or any other religion for that matter.
Unless the "Walking Dead" is a religion?

So the parents swore to God they would renounce Satan and raise the child Christian, but are not going to?

Dunno, mate, sounds hypocritical to me.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
1) What <2 year old has much of a question or say about anything?

2)What <2 year old is not crying, or throwing a tantrum, 70% of the time?

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Ha!!! I grew up in a dysfunctional alcoholic home. I exchanged it for a sober non alcoholic even more dysfunction family the one I married into. What was I thinking they were, were NORMALZ AAAAARGH. lol all true btw
My step mom is an alcoholic. Sometimes I wonder if she got drunk a lot because she didn't want to deal with me or my step dad.
My step mom and step dad were never married or never couples. My step dad was only with my step mom so he can hopefully get with me and have sex with me once I turned 18...

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am talking about intent.
If the intention was to make grandmother happy then there was no hypocrisy.
Intent is the key here.

If they promised to raise the child Christian but had no intention to, it's hypocritical. Seems pretty black and white to me.
Can the happiness of the grandmother be more important than the hypocrisy? Sure. That's their call.

David T

Premium Member
My step mom is an alcoholic. Sometimes I wonder if she got drunk a lot because she didn't want to deal with me or my step dad.
My step mom and step dad were never married or never couples. My step dad was only with my step mom so he can hopefully get with me and have sex with me once I turned 18...
Ouch... such life family life can be. I learned the trees don't give a **** about our problems. I then learned to listen to to them and turn off the noise of culture. They are hard to understand they don't have lips.

You can't see the heavens or stars for that matter always standing in the middle of the city, during the day. So much here is people talking about the stars while doing exactly that just standing in the middle of the city, during the day talking about the stars theoretically. Nature nature nature the great guide and healer!!! People go Into the wild for good reason.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Ouch... such life family life can be. I learned the trees don't give a **** about our problems. I then learned to listen to to them and turn off the noise of culture. They are hard to understand they don't have lips.

You can't see the heavens or stars for that matter always standing in the middle of the city, during the day. So much here is people talking about the stars while doing exactly that just standing in the middle of the city, during the day talking about the stars theoretically. Nature nature nature the great guide and healer!!! People go Into the wild for good reason.
Both of my step parents should be behind bars. Before I even turned 18 my step dad used to open the damn door while I would take a shower to see me nude. He did it a few times but my step mom never called the cops. I want to expose for who they are. They deserve to rot behind bars.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think your priorities are a bit wrong here. The child (most likely) isn't harmed in anyway during baptism. If she or he is, it's during the time she is indoctrinated(if she is).
... or from the parents who thought the kid was so evil from birth that he needed to go through a special ceremony to "fix" him.

David T

Premium Member
Both of my step parents should be behind bars. Before I even turned 18 my step dad used to open the damn door while I would take a shower to see me nude. He did it a few times but my step mom never called the cops. I want to expose for who they are. They deserve to rot behind bars.
Be better than them, not bitter, it's their bitterness let it stay with them. Always see good when things are ****, and when mother nature beats you down stand up flip the cosmos off say **** you i will not quit FOREVER!! One might say being strong and kind is very difficult but one that the cosmos, God, nature, respects because it gives life and it brings death as well it is kind and very strong.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Be better than them, not bitter, it's their bitterness let it stay with them. Always see good when things are ****, and when mother nature beats you down stand up flip the cosmos off say **** you i will not quit FOREVER!! One might say being strong and kind is very difficult but one that the cosmos, God, nature, respects because it gives life and it brings death as well it is kind and very strong.
Yes but letting them get away with something like that bothers me.