• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physically Ill During Baptism

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Question (because I couldn't tell from the OP and didn't see it elsewhere): How old is this child? An infant? One to three years? Thirteen? somewhere in between? It does make a difference in at least my understanding of what you observed and how/why you reacted.

A few months shy of 2 years old.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A little water on the child's head doesn't hurt the child and it keeps all of the silly adults happy thinking they did some good for the child.
You may be overreacting a bit.
I was wondering if it was the dunk tank that wasn't properly chlorinated.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
A few months shy of 2 years old.
okay, makes sense that the child could be quite scared because this is something she's not familiar with, and she realizes that SHE seems to be the center of attention...kids will do that. Maybe if the parents had done more to prepare her, to practice what was going to happen. I doubt that she was terrified of being baptized; she was likely terrified because people were making her do things she wasn't familiar with. Young children are very perceptive about emotions around them, and it seemed like an emotional situation to her.

I can see your intellectual reaction to it, but your emotional reaction seems to be related to that and your empathy with the child.

Were the parents regular attendees at this church? Does the girl attend the services, and so is familiar with the setting? Or was this that the parents suddenly decide that they need to join a church or something?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
No offense, but an unbaptism ceremony would be a bit more involved than that, if i were doing it. If you think this 'worked', ok, but if you are really trying to unbaptize yourself, you might want to advise others on a more detailed ceremony.

Such as?

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
So things and people I disagree with don't make me feel ill. I can listen to Trump all day and may be angry, but I don't feel like I'm being hit with a flu of the soul. Well, I was just at a baptism for my SOs niece, and man do I feel sick. This little girl not only has no say, but she has no idea what's going on at all, no ability to question nor understand. Then the priest was talking about heaven and hell, just instilling this fear in the members of "remember, you could totally go to hell." Mixed with the hypocrisy of the other family involved, their horrible ethics, the very fact that this is an out of wedlock marriage, I'm surprised I didn't laugh out loud. Then the actual baptism, holding a child basically head lower than legs, her crying her eyes out in terror as she's forced into a spirituality she knows nothing of. I just couldn't handle it. I'm sworn to protect individual freedom as well as children themselves, and felt like I was witnessing this horrible ritual completely against the child's will. How in the world is this even legal, let alone moral?
Christianity wants to brainwash young children. That is how they can control them. As for hell, it is just a way to make people fear it so they can stay in christianity. Hell was invention just to keep those who follow god in control. I despise christianity and their hateful ways.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
When I was 17 (my LaVeyan Satanist days) I had a short lived relapse into the Christian religion and decided to get baptized. As soon as the baptism took place I knew it was wrong and for about two or three days I was both physically and spiritually ill. After I performed a Satanic rite of rebirth in the form of the "Conjuration of Compassion" in the "Satanic Bible" the feeling of being sick immediately dissipated and I was again filled with inspiration and pride in my Satanic being.
I don' know if I was ever baptized when I was born in Romania. I have heard when a child is born the child get baptized and yes I do think that is wrong. If I was ever baptized I would like to undo it. I don't know if it is possible.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
No offense, but an unbaptism ceremony would be a bit more involved than that, if i were doing it. If you think this 'worked', ok, but if you are really trying to unbaptize yourself, you might want to advise others on a more detailed ceremony.

I am sure you can undo one make-a-believe ritual with another make-a-believe ritual regardless of how "involved" they are; as long as you believe it worked it worked, since belief is the only thing required for either one to work.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

No offence taken. See my post #15 in this thread, and if you ever gain any real understanding of how Magick truly works you will come to a realization that individual results may vary no matter the personal involvement and scope of any Greater Black Magical Working. "Unbaptism ceremony"? More at "Satanic Rite of Rebirth". :smileycat:

Last edited:

Riders

Ok thanks for the recap. When I was 8 My Mom was a Southern Baptist and she wanted me to become a member of the church. My understanding was that Baptism saves you and you have to get Baptized again everytime you commit a sin.

I had no clear understanding of salvation.So when they made the alter call at the end of church,My Mother looked at me and said don't you think its about time? I said for what? She said don't you think its about time you get saved and joined the church?

I said I guess, She told me the preachers gonna ask you 3 questions you say yes too all of them, Have you repented for your sins?Have you accepted Jesus as Lord in your heart? Are you ready be to be Baptized.

The actual Baptism did not hurt me,he didn't hold my head under he held his hand over my mouth and dunked me backwards.

But needless to say I was scared of hell through my childhood,when I started having mental health issues I thought I was possessed going to hell.

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
My understanding was that Baptism saves you and you have to get Baptized again everytime you commit a sin.
To me holy water is just water. Sin doesn't exist. It was invented to take control of how people live. To me christianity is all about control.

But needless to say I was scared of hell through my childhood,when I started having mental health issues I thought I was possessed going to hell.
Hell was also invented to scare people to keep control of them.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
So baptism is permanent then?
Ideologically - for Catholics - yes. I've been told by a priest, a Bishop, and now the Archbishop of Kansas City that baptism "marks" a soul as claimed by Jesus. For myself, right now as a professed Pagan, and even though I reject Christianity entirely, I am considered by the Church as a "lapsed Catholic".

It's ridiculous, but can be a social issue for some people.

Riders

No she died 3 years ago. She dropped out of church when I was 14 after the church shamed her for her alcoholism and then for her turning to AA and counseling to help her. She made AA her church. She never went except to see my oldest sister perform.

I was lucky and blessed. SHe was Christian but very liberal nd somewhat Universal, she believed I could find God in any religion. She allowed me to visit any religion I wanted while living with her and my Dad.

My Dad was a Primitive Baptist. He believed in the chosen generation which meant his family was saved. So although he didn't agree with me going to UU he said he wanted to accept it and let me go wherever I wanted because he knew I was saved.

I'm mentally ill have to depend on my sisters a lot. But my parents told my sister they wanted me to be able to live in their house. They also wanted me to be able to go to whatever religious service I wanted.

In order to respect my parents my sisters try not to witness too hard although they are hard core Christian fanatics. Sometimes they argue with me or say something about Jesus but mostly its smooth sailing, they try to leave me alone about it honor of my parents.

Sense I depend on them a lot I am very blessed and grateful to my parents that they made things like that for me to work for me,!