• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Physically Ill During Baptism

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So things and people I disagree with don't make me feel ill. I can listen to Trump all day and may be angry, but I don't feel like I'm being hit with a flu of the soul. Well, I was just at a baptism for my SOs niece, and man do I feel sick. This little girl not only has no say, but she has no idea what's going on at all, no ability to question nor understand. Then the priest was talking about heaven and hell, just instilling this fear in the members of "remember, you could totally go to hell." Mixed with the hypocrisy of the other family involved, their horrible ethics, the very fact that this is an out of wedlock marriage, I'm surprised I didn't laugh out loud. Then the actual baptism, holding a child basically head lower than legs, her crying her eyes out in terror as she's forced into a spirituality she knows nothing of. I just couldn't handle it. I'm sworn to protect individual freedom as well as children themselves, and felt like I was witnessing this horrible ritual completely against the child's will. How in the world is this even legal, let alone moral?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
So things and people I disagree with don't make me feel ill. I can listen to Trump all day and may be angry, but I don't feel like I'm being hit with a flu of the soul. Well, I was just at a baptism for my SOs niece, and man do I feel sick. This little girl not only has no say, but she has no idea what's going on at all, no ability to question nor understand. Then the priest was talking about heaven and hell, just instilling this fear in the members of "remember, you could totally go to hell." Mixed with the hypocrisy of the other family involved, their horrible ethics, the very fact that this is an out of wedlock marriage, I'm surprised I didn't laugh out loud. Then the actual baptism, holding a child basically head lower than legs, her crying her eyes out in terror as she's forced into a spirituality she knows nothing of. I just couldn't handle it. I'm sworn to protect individual freedom as well as children themselves, and felt like I was witnessing this horrible ritual completely against the child's will. How in the world is this even legal, let alone moral?

Yes if they could do it any more wrong...

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Don't worry, the child is going through none of the emotional turmoil you are. No real harm being done in my eyes. You might consider not attending next time to save yourself an illness.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
When I was 17 (my LaVeyan Satanist days) I had a short lived relapse into the Christian religion and decided to get baptized. As soon as the baptism took place I knew it was wrong and for about two or three days I was both physically and spiritually ill. After I performed a Satanic rite of rebirth in the form of the "Conjuration of Compassion" in the "Satanic Bible" the feeling of being sick immediately dissipated and I was again filled with inspiration and pride in my Satanic being.

Premium Member
When I was 17 (my LaVeyan Satanist days) I had a short lived relapse into the Christian religion and decided to get baptized. As soon as the baptism took place I knew it was wrong and for about two or three days I was both physically and spiritually ill. After I performed a Satanic rite of rebirth in the form of the "Conjuration of Compassion" in the "Satanic Bible" the feeling of being sick immediately dissipated and I was again filled with inspiration and pride in my Satanic being.

WITH the anger of anguish and the wrath of the stifled, I pour forth my voices,
wrapped in rolling thunder, that you may hear!
Oh great lurkers in the darkness, oh guardians of the way, oh minions of the might of
Thoth! Move and appear! Present yourselves to us in your benign power, in behalf of
one who believes and is stricken with torment.
Isolate him (her) in the bulwark of your protection, for he (she) is undeserving of
anguish and desires it not.
Let that which bears against him (her) be rendered powerless and devoid of substance.
Succor him (her) through fire and water, earth and air, to regain what he (she) has lost.
Strengthen with fire the marrow of our friend and companion, our comrade of the Left-Hand
Path.
Through the power of Satan let the earth and its pleasures re-enter his (her) being.
Allow his (her) vital saltes to flow unhampered, that he (she) may savor the carnal nectars of
his (her) future desires.
Strike dumb his (her) adversary, formed or formless, that he (she) may emerge joyful and
strong from that which afflicts him (her).
Allow no misfortune to allay his (her) path, for he (she) is of us, and therefore to be cherished.
Restore him (her) to power, to joy, to unending dominion over the reverses that have beset
him (her).
Build around and within him (her) the exultant radiance that will herald his (her) emergence
from the stagnant morass which engulfs him (her).
This we command, in the name of Satan, whose mercies flourish and whose sustenance will
prevail!
As Satan reigns so shall his (her) own whose name is as this sound: (name) is the vessel
whose flesh is as the earth; life everlasting, world without end!
Shemhamforash! Hail Satan!

- Anton Lavey, The Satanic Bible

allfoak

Alchemist
A little water on the child's head doesn't hurt the child and it keeps all of the silly adults happy thinking they did some good for the child.
You may be overreacting a bit.

Premium Member
A little water on the child's head doesn't hurt the child and it keeps all of the silly adults happy thinking they did some good for the child.

You may notice none of my objections were about putting water on her head...

pearl

Mixed with the hypocrisy of the other family involved, their horrible ethics, the very fact that this is an out of wedlock marriage,

None of which has any bearing on the child to be baptized.

I'm sworn to protect individual freedom as well as children themselves, and felt like I was witnessing this horrible ritual completely against the child's will. How in the world is this even legal, let alone moral?

Yet you seem to know nothing of their normal behavior when it comes to something they may not like or understand. Bath time, hair shampoo, vaccinations etc., during which most babies are screaming. I think you might be just a bit over dramatic.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm confused. I don't believe anyone should be forced to be baptized against her will, but how old was this child and why was she "crying her eyes out in terror"? Baptisms generally aren't a frightening experience for anyone.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I'm confused. I don't believe anyone should be forced to be baptized against her will, but how old was this child and why was she "crying her eyes out in terror"? Baptisms generally aren't a frightening experience for anyone.
yeah, my son slept through his, even the water didn't wake him up...;)

Premium Member

She is a bit shy of 2 I believe. Maybe she's just smart enough to know what's happening was not good haha.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
My personalized adaptation of Anton LaVey's "Conjuration of Compassion";

"With the anger of anguish and the wrath of the stifled, I pour forth my voices,
Wrapped in rolling thunder, that you may hear!
Oh great lurkers in the darkness, oh guardians of the way, oh minions of the might of Thoth!
Move and appear! Present yourselves to me in your benign power,
For I believe and am stricken with torment.
Isolate me in the bulwark of your protection, for I am undeserving of
Anguish and I desire it not.
Let that which bears against me be rendered powerless and devoid of substance.
Succor me through fire and water, earth and air, to regain what I have lost.
Strengthen with fire the marrow of my Satanic being.
Through the power of Satan let the earth and its pleasures re-enter my being.
Allow my vital salts to flow unhampered, that I may savor the carnal nectars of
My future desires.
Strike dumb my adversary, formed or formless, that I may emerge joyful and
Strong from that which afflicts me.
Allow no misfortune to allay my path, for I am as One with thee, and therefore to be cherished.
Restore me to power, to joy, to unending dominion over the reverses that have beset me.
Build around and within me the exultant radiance that will herald my emergence
From the stagnant morass which engulfs me.
This I command, in the name of Satan, whose mercies flourish and whose sustenance will prevail!
As Satan reigns so shall I who am of his essence, I who am (name)
Whose flesh is as the earth; life everlasting, world without end!

Shemhamforash! Hail Satan!"

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

Children tend to remember events that had a strong emotional impressions on them; their memory does not work like an adult's. For them it is the emotion they experienced that defines the memory. And a strongly embedded memory with deep emotional attachment can shape a person's perspectives through out their life

Children also tend to be much more empathetic than adults, with an inability to filter out stronger emotion coming from others. I doubt the child was crying due to a little water, but probably from being emotionally overwhelmed from the strong emotions of the numerous adults involved (In other words, because the adults make a big deal out it, the child then sees it as a big deal). An event like this could create a lasting memory, which could shape the way the child develops certain views depending on the age of the child. At near 2 years old, she probably has nothing to worry about, humans rarely ever remember anything that happened before the age of 2.

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
yeah, my son slept through his, even the water didn't wake him up...;)

I think the child reaction's would mainly depend on the reaction of the adults involved. Most childern don't know how to emotionally react to a new situation and they look to see how adults are reacting to figure it out. However, since they cannot filter out strong emotions as easy as an adult, they can become overwhelmed and confused by emotions they don't understand yet. Perhaps an adult was crying (or near tears, or something similar ) at the event, and she picked up on that.

Last edited:

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

It could have actually been your reaction she was picking up on, that distressed her.

Onyx

Premium Member
Churches are creepy places to me, so I try to avoid them. Especially the more heavy-handed ones. So I totally understand the feeling.

I believe children should be focused on developing their minds/brains during the critical time of growth. Religion/baptism can wait until someone is an adult with understanding. Weren't all of the people baptized in the Bible adults by that time anyway?

I was baptized as an infant, but reject it as just a tradition from the time. (Don't remember it anyway.) I have consecrated myself to Set by choice.

It could have actually been your reaction she was picking up on, that distressed her.
:facepalm:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Question (because I couldn't tell from the OP and didn't see it elsewhere): How old is this child? An infant? One to three years? Thirteen? somewhere in between? It does make a difference in at least my understanding of what you observed and how/why you reacted.