• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photos from my domestic trips (Israel)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well as I have collected some photos from my trips and since a lot of the photos are relevant to the 3 Abrahamic religions, I thought I'd post some of them.

I'll start with Jerusalem..

-Church of Mary Magdalene:

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Dome of The Rock: (According to tradition Muhammad ascended into heaven after the Night Journey from the rock in the Mosque, the same Rock is supposed to be the rock where Abraham was going to sacrifice Issac, and a stone from the Adam story, the corner stone of the world)

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0060.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
The Dome through the window of the Duminos Flevit church.

DSC_0095.jpg

at the Duminos Flevit Church, the traditional location where Jesus shed his tears for Jerusalem and prophecied its destruction.

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

"how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings"
- Jesus on Jerusalem

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

Duminos Flevit Church.. Judeo-Christian glossokomon:

DSC_0075.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Al Aqsa Mosque:

DSC_0088.jpg

Al Aqsa and the Dome of the Rock:

DSC_0082.jpg

A bit of the walls of Jerusalem (built in Ottoman times):

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

The market of the old city..

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

.lava

Veteran Member
thank you, Caladan. that's great idea to share these photos. i hope to visit Jerusalem someday, amazing buildings and wonderful art :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Nazareth:

The Basilica of Annunciation:

some info about the site:

Historians tell that the Grotto and its surroundings, being the site of the Annunciation were turned into a worship place in the 1st and 2nd century. early sources referred to the place as "The house of the Virgin Mary". what supports this claim are the numerous inscriptions on the wall, mentioning Mary. which were left by pilgrims and visitors in early Christianity.
In 427 AD, the first Byzantine church was built on the site.
In the 12th Century, a Crusade church was built over the ruins of the Byzantine church.
The current Basilica consecrated in 1969, is built over the Grotto and the ruins of four earlier churches.

"And the word became flesh"

IMG_4284.jpg

On the Basilica front there are inscriptions representing Mark, Luke, Matthew, and John of the four gospels combined with symbolism of the vision of Ezekiel being the faces of Man, Lion, Eagle, and Ox.

IMG_4288.jpg

in the yard of the Basilica there are modern mosaics that were crafted by representatives of different nations, the mosaics focus on Mary, and are usually of Mary by herself, with baby Jesus, or the event of the Annunciation of Arch angel Gabriel and Mary:
the interesting thing is that different nations gave the mosaics the figures of their own physical make up, by that I assume giving the characters and the message behind them a universal meaning in their own way.

The Philippines:
IMG_4287.jpg

Egypt:
IMG_4292.jpg

China:

IMG_4294.jpg

Thailand:

IMG_4295.jpg

IMG_4296.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
IMG_4297.jpg

Inside the Basilica:

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

The Grotto:

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4308.jpg

Inside the Basilica:

IMG_4307.jpg

This was made by representatives of USA, I found that quite interesting:

IMG_4309.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Japan:

IMG_4314.jpg

Poland:

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4315.jpg

IMG_4316.jpg

Some pictures of the yard in the Basilica:

Statues of Archangel Gabriel and Mary:

IMG_4317.jpg

A statue of Mary, the spot of the statue and the green leaves background gave her the image of some nature deity:

IMG_4320.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
IMG_4324.jpg

Ancient tunnels under the Basilica:

IMG_4326.jpg

Another interesting site, is The Synagogue Church, being the traditional site where Jesus preached in the Synagogue of his home town, and preached the Torah to his townsmen.

IMG_4330.jpg

The White Mosque:

The White Mosque was built under the order of Suleiman Pasha, there were three stages of built, starting from 1785. White came to represent the symbol of optimism, purity and unity of all the communities in Nazareth and the whole district.

Bismillah al-Rakhman al-Rakhim:

IMG_4336.jpg

In Nazareth there is a guest house built by a Israeli Jewish guy and his wife, they did many tracks and travels around the world, including a 1000 KM tracks in the US, and realized the need for guest houses in Israel, in the none central areas, the place was built in an old house and looks pretty authentic:

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4341.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
View from the complex of the restaurant we dined in:

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

View of The White Mosque and the Old Sicilian Monastery and school (used to be an orphanage)

IMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

Nazareth:

IMG_4370.jpg

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
At Caesarea..

Picture074.jpg

Picture039.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture028.jpg

In the next photo you can see the blackened gate from the battle of the Crusaders and the Muslims:

Picture029.jpg

nice pictures,
do you happen to know why all those saints have circles around there head?