• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo of the Royal castle in Norway :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A photo I took on my way to the study this morning :)
It is the castle of the royal family in Norway :)

Attachments

• 20200203_074114.jpg
    20200203_074114.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 0

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Maybe the castle is a bit "over the top" And i think there is no need for a building of this size just to house the king and his family :)
Maybe no longer today, but I'm sure it reflected the appropriate symbolism for the royal family at the time

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Uh...if it's a castle, where are the turrets and spires?

Honestly, it looks like someone stole the rotunda off our Capitol Building. :D

Shad

Veteran Member
Maybe the castle is a bit "over the top" And i think there is no need for a building of this size just to house the king and his family :)

Keep in mind many manor house castles (OP photo) had administrative and social functions, staff and their living quarters, storage of food (no refrigerator in the 19th century), etc. Attics and basements were considered to be socially below Royalty to use so was a servant area. Obviously the living quarters for the Royals will be lavish but the whole structure was not only designed for just single family but a economic and social system that is/was part of government. Structures like this one houses a tiny village of people in it's day.

I do not know how many functions are still used in the building nor if any rooms have been repurposed.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
Uh...if it's a castle, where are the turrets and spires?

Honestly, it looks like someone stole the rotunda off our Capitol Building. :D

Its not really a castle. The term is merely borrowed as part of Gothic and Classical design revivals. It reminds you of the Rotunda as both use Neo-Classical (Greek and Roman) design philosophies. Broad fronts, columns, a lot of windows, etc. It all from the same basic design concepts repeated in a lot of buildings.

Last edited: