• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phones Across UK to Become Sirens

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
So says this article,

Phones across UK to issue ‘emergency alerts’ and make ‘loud siren-like sounds’ as part of test (msn.com)

Phones across the country are to issue “emergency alerts” as part of a nationwide test, the government has said.

The test could lead devices to make a “loud siren-like sound”, the government has warned.

The tests are part of a government system that allows it to issue warnings about potential dangers or issues by sending them out to people’s phones.

The system is set to launch in summer 2021, according to the UK’s website.

“Emergency alerts will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby,” its website says. “In an emergency, your phone or tablet will receive an alert with advice about how to stay safe.”

This is way too invasive for me. What do you think?
I think they should make it opt-in.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
This is way too invasive for me. What do you think?
I think you only have seen the beginning of it, The world is heading to a fully controlled world. Big Brother is watching you

But you can avoid this invasive Government attitude by not buying a smartphone. Though they seem to indirectly force it onto you

So, best to play along with it. What to do? In China they are already lightyears ahead of us, though the West is working hard to catch up since Corona

amorphous_constellation

Our american phones don't become sirens, but last summer everyone at work got an alert that a suspect was in the area. It was something about a 22 or 23 year old traveler, who 'may be armed,' that was apprehended by the hotel over by a freeway frontage road, about 5 miles away or so. I don't remember the exact details. But it seems kind of useful to know, as it's pitch black out on that side of town at night, and there might be only a couple cars active there. I don't know if you have those sorts of geographic or population density dynamics in the uk. Like between here and the next town, there is just dark desert marsh. People could be living or prowling in that stuff and no one would know

amorphous_constellation

Speaking to your point on things being to invasive, that being an adjacent sort of issue, there are plenty of negative points about the surveillance culture we now have, that was non-existent when I was a kid in the 90's. I heard the uk is covered in camera nests, and I think we're getting there over here. A couple years ago my work got kind of covered in cameras. I also don't like a lot of things about the digital filing culture we now have either, where the digital space sort of seems like it can suck the life force out of humans, and chain them into new oceans of numbers and information. However, it does seem like fate doesn't it? Like it's all moving toward some kind of goal, and that this is just a period of birth. It kind of seems like that to me