• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophy 101

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Actually, dealing with money and producing energy are all courses going through the ethical and moral process :yes:

Explain how exactly.

[color]Which is why it is important to the complete understanding of philosophy.[/COLOR]

A man was struggling with many philosophical questions, so he decided to research different philosophies. After studying for hours in his library, he discovered a similarity between almost all philosophers - they used experience.

So he went away for a while to experience, he lived in nature and observed it while thinking about how it could answer his philosophical questions.

When he returned, have it been 47 years, a young lad asked him, "What answers have you found?"

The man looked down at him with a frown, hardly being able to see him through the saggy beard. He said, "I have come to realize that we will never know answers of philosophy, because we do not live long enough to discover."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But you're forgetting a big part of politics, economics. As we survive off it, we have to control it, otherwise we wont survive off of it anymore: money.
Economics is a part of politics, in the category of theories of the best ways that people should grow and thrive.

Believe it or not, there was politics and economics before "money" was invented.

The Sum of Awe

Economics is a part of politics, in the category of theories of the best ways that people should grow and thrive.

Yes, anything else I don't like to consider politics, just because it's usually unimportant and could be called morality and ethics.

Believe it or not, there was politics and economics before "money" was invented.

Of course, but that doesn't change the fact it's not about morality, it's about civilization.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
All philosophy seems to boil down to economics in my opinion. But that's only because I think everything boils down to power and that power is the only universal measure of worth. The only real currency, in other words. But that's just my philosophy, after all ;)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Actually, dealing with money and producing energy are all courses going through the ethical and moral process :yes:

Which is why it is important to the complete understanding of philosophy.

SO what does a complete understanding of Philosophy give you then in your opinion - you say its so important?

Have you arrive at Truth? no... you're still wanking over semantics.

The only way to find Truth and therefore acquire True Wisdom is through Gnosis.

The Sum of Awe

SO what does a complete understanding of Philosophy give you then in your opinion - you say its so important?

When you find the Truth, you no longer care about wisdom

Orias

Left Hand Path

I have indeed acquired truth! Do you want me to share?

And where does your treasure map lead? To know of a means is just as important as knowing a way.

Gnosis is laughable, at times. And I don't mean that as an insult.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Wait, wait, wait.

To find TRUTH and gain TRUE WISDOM you need GNOSIS

What were you saying about semantics again? I must have missed it...

Orias

Left Hand Path
Epistemology is essentially the scientific method, its about nature, origin, methods and validity and the limits of what humans are capable of knowing about a certain object or concept.

Polarbear

Epistemology is essentially the scientific method, its about nature, origin, methods and validity and the limits of what humans are capable of knowing about a certain object or concept.

The scientfic method is a tool for discovering knowledge (and it's not the only one), not the reasoning behind how it's discovered, hence the scientific method is not epistemology.

Orias

Left Hand Path
The scientfic method is a tool for discovering knowledge (and it's not the only one), not the reasoning behind how it's discovered, hence the scientific method is not epistemology.

Actually scientific hypothesis can often be conclusive in its verifying of origin, epistemology is part of science hence following the method behind it.

Polarbear

Actually scientific hypothesis can often be conclusive in its verifying of origin, epistemology is part of science hence following the method behind it.

I doubt your claim. How can science prove the basis for knowledge? Doesn't the use of the scientific method assume that it has been found to be a sound method of discovering knowledge already? I mean it can't prove itself, that would be circular reasoning.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
I doubt yout claim. How can sciene prove the basis for knowledge? Doesn't the use of the scientific method assume that it has been found to be a sound method of discovering knowledge already? I mean it can't prove itself, that would be circular reasoning.

Science has contributed little to man's complete knowledge of things, as a large portion of man's existence is "unscientific". Really though, by theory, science can determine preconceived knowledge, but then its not really a discovery.

Science can prove the basis for knowledge, in the same way that we prove the basis for us being capable of knowing things ;)

Polarbear

Science has contributed little to man's complete knowledge of things, as a large portion of man's existence is "unscientific".

Xeper, brother!

Really though, by theory, science can determine preconceived knowledge

How exactly?

Science can prove the basis for knowledge, in the same way that we prove the basis for us being capable of knowing things ;)

And how do we prove our capability of knowing things? I don't think my way is the same as yours.

Polarbear

Stuff like gravity and black holes.

Um I didn't ask what science could prove, but how it could prove preconceived knowledge? Maybe we are defining our terms differently here though, when I hear preconceived knowledge I think of apriori knowlege, like the laws of logic according to Socrates and such.

Perception ;)

Xeper on!

And how do we know perception is valid? Can you prove it?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Um I didn't ask what science could prove, but how it could prove preconceived knowledge? Maybe we are defining our terms differently here though, when I hear preconceived knowledge I think of apriori knowlege, like the laws of logic according to Socrates and such.

It describes things we already know, it allows us to basically take guessing to another level of perception. Like gravity, and black holes and stuff like that.

We don't have to touch fire to know that it is harmful.

And how do we know perception is valid? Can you prove it?

I know my perception is valid, pertaining to what I'm talking about, because I can continue to do so in a coherent and comprehensive way.

Also because we perceive, without perception we could not have this conversation nor could we not have this conversation.

And what does proof rely on to you, credibility?