• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philosophy 101

Orias

Left Hand Path
politics had to come before logic for us to become civilised enough to acknowledge it?

Politics because they essentially describe the debatable. Logic is a confounded argument, much like saying "this is my territory so respect me" type of thing.

But logic can consistently have errors.

Yep. We could probably condense metaphysics between ontology & epistemology, some philosophies will reject its need entirely.

I don't think so, philosophy is a very specified taste, being that it requires a very broad sense of understanding. There are parts of philosophies that are just that, parts of philosophies that don't actually speak for the entire understanding of philosophy.

Shuddhasattva

I don't think so, philosophy is a very specified taste, being that it requires a very broad sense of understanding. There are parts of philosophies that are just that, parts of philosophies that don't actually speak for the entire understanding of philosophy.

Key parts contradicting a generalization invalidates it.

Shuddhasattva

Politics can remain, and 'metaphysics' usually refers to ontology. Logic is a branch of epistemology--it is how we know validity.*

*Edit: or better yet, the quality of validity.

I would say that epistemology is meta-logic. It's logic applied to itself.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
Ok, metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, aesthetics, and politics.

Do we know why these sum up the general understanding of philosophy?

I was going to say, the five branches I remember are metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, aesthetics, and logic...politics is encompassed by ethics.

I think Philosophy is a waste of time.

Emperical Gnosticism is where its at.

Which is itself a philosophy. You can't get around philosophy. Everyone has a philosophy...even a denial of philosophy is a philosophical position.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Politics is a lot more high-staked than philosophy. Philosophy is a guessing game based on reason, which it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, society will still be there and fine. Politics, though... you gotta be right or you'll wake up hitting your head on a rock hard ceiling of hell

Orias

Left Hand Path
Politics is a lot more high-staked than philosophy. Philosophy is a guessing game based on reason, which it doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, society will still be there and fine. Politics, though... you gotta be right or you'll wake up hitting your head on a rock hard ceiling of hell

We're not talking about running for office here ;)

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
No idea. I never heard of politics being listed as an essential "point" of philosophy.

It's (political philosophy) typically seen as a subfield of political science rather than a discipline within philosophy.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Politics" at its heart is nothing more or less than the study of people dealing with people. Governance, authority, status/classes, rules and laws--these are all about people dealing with people.

It develops theories of getting along within the group, theories of interacting outside the group, theories of the best ways that the group should grow and thrive. It's the philosophy of tree-hugging and head-butting.

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
"Politics" at its heart is nothing more or less than the study of people dealing with people. Governance, authority, status/classes, rules and laws--these are all about people dealing with people.

You mean MAGIC?!?!?!?

Orias

Left Hand Path
Sorry, anyways no do we know why this is so important for people and their understanding of their own role on conscious action?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

It develops theories of getting along within the group, theories of interacting outside the group, theories of the best ways that the group should grow and thrive. It's the philosophy of tree-hugging and head-butting.

But you're forgetting a big part of politics, economics. As we survive off it, we have to control it, otherwise we wont survive off of it anymore: money.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Dealing with money isn't a moral or an ethic, in the same way how to produce energy isn't an ethic.

Actually, dealing with money and producing energy are all courses going through the ethical and moral process :yes:

Which is why it is important to the complete understanding of philosophy.