• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philodoxically inclined?

How argumentative/dogmatic are you?

• 10%

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 20%

• 30%

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 50%

• 60%

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 70%

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 80%

• 90%

• 100%

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Not very, but I have some deeply held beliefs I won't be persuaded otherwise on.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not to be ironically pedantic given the poll question, but I don't think the wording of the question is nuanced at all. I don't view being dogmatic and being argumentative as synonymous or even necessarily concomitant.

I have a lot of strong, firmly held beliefs myself, but whether or not I'm inclined to argue about them depends on context and perceived necessity. For example, if I were with a group of friends and one of them said something homophobic or racist, I'd be a lot more likely to show disapproval and try to get them not to do so in the future, ideally by convincing them why that was harmful, than I would be to argue just for the sake of it (as some people often do with other subjects online, which I don't judge them for as long as it's harmless and not in favor of willfully ignorant and malicious beliefs).

As for being dogmatic, I wouldn't count merely having firmly held opinions as such: to me, being dogmatic is more about one's approach and openness to evidence and logical reasoning than it is about firmness of conviction. Within that framework, I think I'm quite assertive and confident in many of my views but not dogmatic (or at least I try not to be, in that I strive to always be open to revising my views in light of logic and evidence).
Don't blame me matey, blame the definition I provided (as and/or). :eek: I chose the right answer from the three alternatives supplied on our TV this morning so I probably had heard Philodox before but I'm no expert on such. :oops: But I am thinking of changing my name to this. :D

MikeF

Premium Member
Philodox, and possibly Philodoxy will be defined, but I thought I would introduce a new word to our vocabulary.

PHILODOX English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

So, to what extent do you see yourself as such? Myself, possibly 30%. :oops:

PS. If you are 0%, sorry about that, as only ten options are allowed. :D

Can one be 100% argumentative and only 30% dogmatic?

My wife gets angry with me because I will often play devils advocate and argue from a viewpoint I don't hold or about an issue to which I am indifferent simply to test and explore the arguments of the one I am conversing with.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I went for 50%. I don't get involved in every argument and could not possibly care less about many of them, but when I decide to enter the debate, I'm in it all the way, and no survivors!

Heyo

Veteran Member
Philodox, and possibly Philodoxy will be defined, but I thought I would introduce a new word to our vocabulary.

PHILODOX English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

So, to what extent do you see yourself as such? Myself, possibly 30%. :oops:

PS. If you are 0%, sorry about that, as only ten options are allowed. :D
I've voted 10% (since there is no 0%). I'm not at all argumentative. In fact I am very patient and try to educate my interlocutor any way possible so that s/he can see the way things really are (i.e. as I see them).

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
I'm extremely dogmatic and argumentative, but people still love me for my charming nature and winning personality.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I put myself down as a 30%. But if anyone disagrees, I'll argue the toss with them. Which would probably bump me up to a 40%, now that I think of it.

*head explodes*

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I've voted 10% (since there is no 0%). I'm not at all argumentative. In fact I am very patient and try to educate my interlocutor any way possible so that s/he can see the way things really are (i.e. as I see them).

*peers suspiciously*

Are you sure we agree on everything? Because your post seems to suggest that we do.