• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philodoxically inclined?

How argumentative/dogmatic are you?

• 10%

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 20%

• 30%

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 40%

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 50%

• 60%

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • 70%

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 80%

• 90%

• 100%

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

Erebus

Mightily Oats - Mistress Weatherwax, you are a natural disputant.

Granny Weatherwax - No I ain't!

I put myself at 30% because I'm generally apathetic to what people believe and do if they aren't hurting anybody. That attitude inclines me towards a live and let live approach towards the majority of beliefs and practices. I've also learned over the years that it's often better to leave a debate amicably if it looks like it could turn into an unproductive argument.

However, there are some things that I'm definitely immovable on. As far as RF is concerned, I don't think anybody could convince me that eternal punishment is compatible with a loving God. That's a belief that I find to be deeply harmful and something humanity would be better off without.

Obviously anybody who doesn't think I'm at 30% is flat out wrong and probably kicks puppies.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Not very much at all. I'm more concerned with learning via arguments than proving a point. I also like playing the devil's advocate a lot. I find people are much more receptive to reason when you give them new things to think about rather than shouting them down, but then again some people's tools for reasoning are so compromised, talking with them about their world views really is just a waste of time.

I was talking to some guy a while back about how the weather was getting weird around here with our 109 degree weather. He said that the government had a machine up in Alaska that could control the weather, and that's why it's been getting so crazy. I asked him what he thought about climate change. He said it was a hoax. :facepalm:

What do you do with that?... I tried explaining the concept of climate change to him, cause I could tell he was very ignorant on the subject, but he was already mentally checked out. He didn't care. :shrug:

I put myself at 30%.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I honestly don't know. I feel the percentage would be relatively low, because while I'm steadfast in my views (unless new information comes to light, of course), I don't feel I propound them.

I am curious how others perceive me in this respect. This could be an educational thing for at least me. Maybe some of you would like to put yourself out there to learn how others perceive you and compare it to how you perceive yourself?

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I honestly don't know. I feel the percentage would be relatively low, because while I'm steadfast in my views (unless new information comes to light, of course), I don't feel I propound them.

I am curious how others perceive me in this respect. This could be an educational thing for at least me. Maybe some of you would like to put yourself out there to learn how others perceive you and compare it to how you perceive yourself?

I think this is a wonderful idea for a thread. :D

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Philodox, and possibly Philodoxy will be defined, but I thought I would introduce a new word to our vocabulary.

PHILODOX English Definition and Meaning | Lexico.com

So, to what extent do you see yourself as such? Myself, possibly 30%. :oops:

PS. If you are 0%, sorry about that, as only ten options are allowed. :D

Not to be ironically pedantic given the poll question, but I don't think the wording of the question is nuanced at all. I don't view being dogmatic and being argumentative as synonymous or even necessarily concomitant.

I have a lot of strong, firmly held beliefs myself, but whether or not I'm inclined to argue about them depends on context and perceived necessity. For example, if I were with a group of friends and one of them said something homophobic or racist, I'd be a lot more likely to show disapproval and try to get them not to do so in the future, ideally by convincing them why that was harmful, than I would be to argue just for the sake of it (as some people often do with other subjects online, which I don't judge them for as long as it's harmless and not in favor of willfully ignorant and malicious beliefs).

As for being dogmatic, I wouldn't count merely having firmly held opinions as such: to me, being dogmatic is more about one's approach and openness to evidence and logical reasoning than it is about firmness of conviction. Within that framework, I think I'm quite assertive and confident in many of my views but not dogmatic (or at least I try not to be, in that I strive to always be open to revising my views in light of logic and evidence).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
70%?
But I love people who are too.
Since diversity of opinions is really nice...

And in a relationship it can be very romantic:p