• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pew study and the Rise of ‘Jews of no religion’

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"Although today the Pew Charitable Trusts is non-partisan and non-ideological, Joseph Pew and his heirs were themselves politically conservative."
And if you acknowledge that "today the Pew Charitable Trusts is non-partisan and non-ideological" then all your talk about " a right wing organization publishing a study" is nothing but a blatant and irresponsible smear.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
And if you acknowledge that "today the Pew Charitable Trusts is non-partisan and non-ideological" then all your talk about " a right wing organization publishing a study" is nothing but a blatant and irresponsible smear.

"blatant and irresponsible smear"....there you go again. Use of extreme hyperbole and overstatement.

Next are you going to tell me Fox News has no political orientation ? Hehe.

Also, here is another paragraph from the wiki article:

"Early priorities of the Pew Memorial Trust included cancer research, the American Red Cross, and a pioneering project to assist historically black colleges. Later beneficiaries included conservative organizations such as the John Birch Society, the American Liberty League, and the American Enterprise Institute, as well as environmental organizations such as the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Oceana, and mainstream think tanks like the Brookings Institution [6][7] The Trusts continues to fund charities in Philadelphia".

The John Birch Society ??? Not exactly the ACLU, are they ??

And here is more from the wiki:

"The trust also helped fund the Gospel and Our Culture Network, which published books such as Missional Church: A vision for the sending of the Church in North America.[19]."

Do you see a trend forming here ?

By the way, did you read the article from the Forward that you posted ?

Last edited:

Tumah

Veteran Member
So I'm kind of late to the part on this thread. But my two cents.

On the one hand, I feel some validation in being a member of the Orthodox denomination. In my community, we can clearly see the the numbers. In a particular area where the families are a bit older, there is not a single building that doesn't have at least one kid who stops being religious. On the other hand, coming from families of 8++, that's not exactly an avalanche.

Still, all that being said, we are not just a people, we're a family. Who here hasn't played Jewish Geography with every new Jew that you met? To see numbers like these, of generations of Jews that will never be born, of children that may never even know what it means to be Jewish. Whatever our differences, even if its not a brother, but a cousin, it still hurts to see them leave the family. And in so many of the cases its only because they never had the opportunity/took the time to study about where they came from.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Whatever our differences, even if its not a brother, but a cousin, it still hurts to see them leave the family. And in so many of the cases its only because they never had the opportunity/took the time to study about where they came from.
Perhaps in too many cases it's only because the 'family' has been too narrowly defined.