• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petting a Wild Fox

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Very cute, but I wish the local fox would stop eating my chickens. That, and I wish the Red Tailed Hawk would lay off too!

When foxes moved into the area, I had to stop letting the chickens go free-range.
Worst is when a fox is teaching pups to hunt. Then they kill multiples far beyond need.
I lost 26 in one day. Not at night, daytime. It was a slaughter.
Now hawks, if you have trees/poles/buildings nearby I've seen folks string a random hatchwork of
fishing line zig-zag overhead and the hawks will definitely see it too and not swoop inta that mess.

MikeF

Premium Member
When foxes moved into the area, I had to stop letting the chickens go free-range.
Worst is when a fox is teaching pups to hunt. Then they kill multiples far beyond need.
I lost 26 in one day. Not at night, daytime. It was a slaughter.
Now hawks, if you have trees/poles/buildings nearby I've seen folks string a random hatchwork of
fishing line zig-zag overhead and the hawks will definitely see it too and not swoop inta that mess.

We do not have a lot of chickens, between 2 to 6 at any given time, four being our preferred maximum. They are backyard chickens in a suburban setting. So for us, when we lost all five that we had at the time (the hawk took the sixth 4 months prior) during the day, I couldn't imagine why it would keep going much past two. How many chickens could a fox eat in one setting? :)

We still free range in the yard. The fox primarily patrols our yard between 2-3 am (critter cam allowed us to establish). There is also a racoon on patrol and we are unsure as to whether they go for chickens as well.

As to fishing line, we just wouldn't like the aesthetic. We are resigned to the risks.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
We do not have a lot of chickens, between 2 to 6 at any given time, four being our preferred maximum. They are backyard chickens in a suburban setting. So for us, when we lost all five that we had at the time (the hawk took the sixth 4 months prior) during the day, I couldn't imagine why it would keep going much past two. How many chickens could a fox eat in one setting? :)

We still free range in the yard. The fox primarily patrols our yard between 2-3 am (critter cam allowed us to establish). There is also a racoon on patrol and we are unsure as to whether they go for chickens as well.

As to fishing line, we just wouldn't like the aesthetic. We are resigned to the risks.

Raccoon's looking for eggs, probably. The 26 chicken slaughter, it just left them all there.
She was teaching her pups how to kill, eating them wasn't the goal. Dragged off just a couple I think.
The rooster did nothing, glad he got it the next day. Noisy useless waste a feed.