• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pets or food?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Our ancestors ate dogs too. From as West as Inca and Aztec and Inca and Hawaiian and other Polynesisn islands, to as North as Switzerland and Nordic to as East as Korea. There are a number of dog breeds which were for meat and tallow (early candles were made with dog fat).

The thing that took dog meat off the plate in most of the world was Abrahamic culture. (Ditto horses.)

And really the ban on dog meat in the West has the thinnest of justification. Dogs aren't smarter or more emotionally intelligent than the things we already eat. We just like them more culturally. No different than the ban on cows in other parts of the world.
I'm not aware of eating dogs being really accepted in any European culture, aside from times of starvation. I'm aware of some Mesoamericans and Polynesians doing it, along with the Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese. But that's about it.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Notice that I never mentioned anything about appearance, but rather traits like trust, loyalty, love, empathy, etc.
I know you didn't but I do think looks and size played more into the cultural habit than those qualities, which you can find in abundance in other animals such as cattle.

Cattle can and have been companion animals, they are trainable (in fact smarter at tool usage and problem solving than dogs), social animals with high empathy. Anyone who has hand raised cows knows that they will crawl into your lap if you let them. And follow you just about anywhere.
But most people don't have hands on experience with cows due to their not household size, and have been culturally trained to think of them as food, not companions.

Not ragging on dogs mind you. I love dogs. Just comparing and contrasting why the two are treated separately.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not aware of eating dogs being really accepted in any European culture, aside from times of starvation. I'm aware of some Mesoamericans and Polynesians doing it, along with the Chinese, Koreans and Vietnamese. But that's about it.
Scarcity makes dogs more appealing as meat animals since they're more dietary flexible (same with goats over cattle, because they can graze on arid lands) but there's been dog remains and dog meat markets all throughout mountainous regions, including Switzerland, Spain and Scandanavia. You can still get Swiss dog jerky today and dog tallow in Poland.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Regarding people pointing out that such and such are raised as pets... does that really mean much? We keep goldfish as pets but that certainly doesn't place them on the same level as dogs. I think the important aspect is the intelligence and emotional complexity of the animal.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I know you didn't but I do think looks and size played more into the cultural habit than those qualities, which you can find in abundance in other animals such as cattle.

Cattle can and have been companion animals, they are trainable (in fact smarter at tool usage and problem solving than dogs), social animals with high empathy. Anyone who has hand raised cows knows that they will crawl into your lap if you let them. And follow you just about anywhere.
But most people don't have hands on experience with cows due to their not household size, and have been culturally trained to think of them as food, not companions.

Not ragging on dogs mind you. I love dogs. Just comparing and contrasting why the two are treated separately.

It's odd that we tend to see plenty of stuff on TV about wild animal behaviour but this is probably the first time I have seen some of this, and it is quite intriguing - and should be seen more widely.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That is the opinion of a vegetarian. The obvious question therefore is why you currently are not one? What is there to "take" for you to revert to that diet? You appreciate what the fundamental issue is...

I'm a bit limited at the moment as to what I can eat - mainly ready meals, frozen or otherwise - but I have been looking at the various vegetarian options and eating many of such, so I might just convert sooner than expected.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm a bit limited at the moment as to what I can eat - mainly ready meals, frozen or otherwise - but I have been looking at the various vegetarian options and eating many of such, so I might just convert sooner than expected.
Good man :sunglasses:

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

A quick 5 minute tour of the dairy industry:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
If the shoe was on the other foot.

D0519EA8-6E79-48EA-A6F2-359D1A88B7C5.jpeg