• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pets or food?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
South Koreans debate dog meat (just talk, no images)

I think I can see where most here will probably side, given that few would ever see dogs as anything other than pets and/or being more useful to us alive (or in just having a right to live), but what does one make of the argument that pigs are likely more intelligent than dogs and yet often we feel no regrets whilst eating them?

Any comments on this video or anything else to do with eating those species that most probably wouldn't ever feel comfortable eating.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Dogs bond with us, and show us trust, love, and loyalty. Obediently following, tail wagging, to the butcher block. It seems like an immoral betrayal to me, like tricking and killing a child.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Dogs bond with us, and show us trust, love, and loyalty. Obediently following, tail wagging, to the butcher block. It seems like an immoral betrayal to me, like tricking and killing a child.
You see the same things with cows once you start working with them. They're social, affectionate, can view you as a herd mate. They're just not what our culture and psychology seem cute.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Any comments on this video
China and it's animal "torture" leading allegedly to Corona seems to have some effect on Korea; at least a good thing came out of it

Any comments on this video or anything else to do with eating those species that most probably wouldn't ever feel comfortable eating.
IMO:
All animals have a soul, and when humans are connected to their own soul, they don't want to eat another soul
The more aware you become, the less you want to kill to appease to your sense desires

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I won't be watching the video. Humans need not eat either. Even if we do, the ways such animals are treated in some parts of the world prior to being killed is disgusting. There is an expression "You wouldn't do that to a dog." Well, we do.
We reap what we sew.

Just people talking in the video, and mostly against the practice.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I must admit, even though I've never had a pet (apart from as a child when we had a cat - and a budgie), I just can't understand how any would eat, or treat badly, any obviously intelligent creature, or even those which might not be so intelligent, if we supposed that they had some kind of internal life, and that just being alive had value in itself. I have been vegetarian in the past and it wouldn't take much to convert me back. The cruelty of keeping animals caged is enough, without adding to the fact that they might even know of their own imminent deaths.

stvdv

The cruelty of keeping animals caged is enough, without adding to the fact that they might even know of their own imminent deaths.
Very true...they just know. Ants already are good in this. When I only think "I will kill you"...they start running
Pigs are very smart, so for sure they know that they are "dead meat" soon

I used to eat meat when young, and when reading about Buddha and non violence I started reducing quickly.
But took me 10 years to stop completely. "Die hard" applies here...and a sure way to an "alive heart" in my experience

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I just can't understand how any would eat, or treat badly, any obviously intelligent creature, or even those which might not be so intelligent, if we supposed that they had some kind of internal life, and that just being alive had value in itself.
That is the opinion of a vegetarian. The obvious question therefore is why you currently are not one? What is there to "take" for you to revert to that diet? You appreciate what the fundamental issue is...

Cooky

Veteran Member
You see the same things with cows once you start working with them. They're social, affectionate, can view you as a herd mate. They're just not what our culture and psychology seem cute.

Though with dogs, they are often willing to risk their own lives to save ours. For instance, when someone knocks at the door, our dog is always the first one there, to investigate. At the slightest sign of aggression, she would begin barking as a warning, and any sign of physical attack would result her protecting our lives physically.

...While these are predatory traits shared by both canines and primates, it's perceived as something more than that.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
That is the opinion of a vegetarian. The obvious question therefore is why you currently are not one? What is there to "take" for you to revert to that diet? You appreciate what the fundamental issue is...

Not sure - perhaps going full vegan might not seem so appetising, given that I might make the same arguments for fish and all other sea creatures. And the convenience - but I should really practice what I might preach I suppose. :oops:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Not sure - perhaps going full vegan might not seem so appetising, given that I might make the same arguments for fish and all other sea creatures. And the convenience - but I should really practice what I might preach I suppose. :oops:
I meant vegetarian, not vegan...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
South Koreans debate dog meat (just talk, no images)

I think I can see where most here will probably side, given that few would ever see dogs as anything other than pets and/or being more useful to us alive (or in just having a right to live), but what does one make of the argument that pigs are likely more intelligent than dogs and yet often we feel no regrets whilst eating them?

I don't see a point in my watching the video. I don't feel comfortable eating any animal species.

stvdv

So, you keep the milk, cheese and all the yummy stuff in; animals are not killed for it (though they are "milked":oops::eek::rolleyes::mad: of course). Sai Baba told me a few years ago to go vegan, but I still eat milkproducts. But I knew why He told me, for weak kidneys milk products are not good (excess protein, and cheese is too salty for me) and too much fat for me even. So gradually I reduce (the middle way I have to learn too). And one day it becomes naturally to give it up. It's all about awareness IMO...I should watch daily those horror youtubes about how horrible they mistreat animals:eek:

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Though with dogs, they are often willing to risk their own lives to save ours. For instance, when someone knocks at the door, our dog is always the first one there, to investigate. At the slightest sign of aggression, she would begin barking as a warning, and any sign of physical attack would result her protecting our lives physically.

...While these are predatory traits shared by both canines and primates, it's perceived as something more than that.

How many cows have you raised as pets?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I know, but I might be tempted to go the whole hog. :oops:
You don't have to make a pig of yourself. You've made the swap before so it's not like it's a radical departure. I was a veggie for decades and thought I'd never go vegan. Only more or less done that over the last two years, a bit at a time.