• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petition to God

sparc872

I don't think he will acknowledge it.
It's not even cute or clever.

Oh come on, not even a little bit? I guess you're right, it is a little dumb in hindsight but it's posted.

Would it hurt to sign a petition to the big man upstairs or is asking him to save us something we have to do on our own time? Do we just wait until God is ready? Or do we admit that we need him to come in and fix the problems that we created?

sparc872

I think it's a bit sad...........

Why Michel? Why do you see this as sad? I guess you could take it as a failed attempt at a joke. But you could also take it as an honest try at getting God to listen. I know there are a lot of people in the world that see all of this suffering as pointless. Should we not expect a reply from God? What do you do when you pray to God? Do you ask him for you help and forgiveness? Do you ask him to heal the ills of the world? Why is a petition to do the same thing seen as a bit sad?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
sparc872 said:
Why Michel? Why do you see this as sad? I guess you could take it as a failed attempt at a joke. But you could also take it as an honest try at getting God to listen. I know there are a lot of people in the world that see all of this suffering as pointless. Should we not expect a reply from God? What do you do when you pray to God? Do you ask him for you help and forgiveness? Do you ask him to heal the ills of the world? Why is a petition to do the same thing seen as a bit sad?
Spark, would you mind giving me one example of something bad God is responsible for and explain what you would have had Him do instead?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
sparc872 said:
Would it hurt to sign a petition to the big man upstairs or is asking him to save us something we have to do on our own time?
Sometimes God calms the storm, but more often he calms his child. We love our earth, and yet somehow we abhor the very forces that made it just this way. So we blame God for the earthquakes while we enjoy the mountains. We blame God for the tsunamis and yet we live on the islands that are the result of them. Physical death is not a tragedy, but spiritual seperation from God is.

stemann

Time Bandit
NetDoc said:
Sometimes God calms the storm, but more often he calms his child. We love our earth, and yet somehow we abhor the very forces that made it just this way. So we blame God for the earthquakes while we enjoy the mountains. We blame God for the tsunamis and yet we live on the islands that are the result of them. Physical death is not a tragedy, but spiritual seperation from God is.

So is it beyond the power of God to create a destruction-deficient world?

sparc872

Spark, would you mind giving me one example of something bad God is responsible for and explain what you would have had Him do instead?

I never said God was responsible for any of that. In fact, I used to believe the exact opposite, now I don't believe in him at all. But, is it wrong to ask God to alleviate our pains and help us out? I am not saying all the suffering in the world is Gods fault, but he has the power to help us fix it and I see nothing wrong with asking him to use that power.

Excellent question.

Scuba Pete

stemann said:
You call it destruction, and yet it is the essence of creation. I find most who can't/won't see this merely have an anti-God agenda.

sparc872

You call it destruction, and yet it is the essence of creation. I find most who can't/won't see this merely have an anti-God agenda.

Death is the essence of creation? Destruction is? I was under the impression that God intends to do away with death and destruction.

Scuba Pete

sparc872 said:
I was under the impression that God intends to do away with death and destruction.
What impression was that? You don't even believe in any God. Obviously the OP and subsequent posts are mere trolls. Again, nothing clever or creative in any of it.

stemann

Time Bandit
NetDoc said:

Believe me, I am fully aware of the notion of creation-through-destruction (like order-through-chaos). I am never purposely biased in my philosophical observations.

NetDoc said:
What impression was that? You don't even believe in any God. Obviously the OP and subsequent posts are mere trolls. Again, nothing clever or creative in any of it.

I can have an understanding of God without believing that he exists; similarly, I'm sure sparc872 can as well.

sparc872

Before you go around, thinking you know what other people do and do not understand, you need to understand their past. I was a devout Christian for a good portion of my life. I do understand that, according to the Bible and most Christians, God plans on coming back and raising the people of the world to Heaven, a place without suffering, where God will wipe away all of your tears.

Just because I lack a belief in God does not mean I do not understand the reasons behind belief, the belief itself, and the outcomes of those beliefs.

My OP was intended to be more than just a 'troll' as you put it. I didn't realize it was wrong for me to try to get people to ask questions about the limit of prayer and petititons. To ask questions about the reasons behind suffering in this world.

Again, I was not trying to be clever or creative. That is your own take on the subject.

Super Universe

Defender of God
stemann said:

Not at all, what do you think heaven is?

Oh, but you want it now, before you've earned a thing. You not only want God to create a universe for you but you want it to suit your whims as well. You don't want to have to learn anything. You don't want to have to work to make anything better.

You, you, you...

robtex

Veteran Member
So if I could inquire is the central theme of this debate, the following points:

1) Should God be held accountable for the world's woes?
2) Does petition to God postitivly impact the world's woes?

And depending on how you answered # 1 and # 2 are the two answers both consistant and reconcilable and if so or not why or why not?

sparc872

Not at all, what do you think heaven is?

Oh, but you want it now, before you've earned a thing. You not only want God to create a universe for you but you want it to suit your whims as well. You don't want to have to learn anything. You don't want to have to work to make anything better.

You, you, you...

Is that really the case? Is it wrong to admit you can't do it on your own and that you need Gods help? Isn't that what being a Christian is all about? Realizing that we are fallen, we sinners, and that we need God to save us? What is wrong with asking God for his help, to ask him to alleviate our pains?