• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King (R-NY) introduces gun control legislation

Mercy Not Sacrifice

I can 100% agree with that and I will add to it. A sick in the head individual will rush into a hail of gunfire to make a kill. I don't believe a nut job is deterred by anything.

I think I stated earlier that even if the guy with the gun had been out there he probably would not have had a clear shot anyway. In many cases the armed person will be the one who can stop the violence in its tracks but the deterrent factor come in when dealing with sane people.

BTW: saw today he plead not guilty.

Now that is plausible, and it represents a fundamental question of this debate. Personally, I think the answer is more complicated.

Archer

Now that is plausible, and it represents a fundamental question of this debate. Personally, I think the answer is more complicated.

Well I don't believe in carrying a gun. Just me I believe others that do not have the same anger management issues and short temper that I do should be allowed.

I also believe we do not need more gun control but we need merciless enforcement. If a felon has a gun his life is forfeit, he can be a permanent state employee, if a person uses any kind of weapon in a crime then they forfeit the right to have a gun and go away just like a felon if they get caught with one.

I think punishment needs to be put back into the reform system as well.

Last edited:

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Given that government officials move around, there are a lot of them, and no practical way we can ever know where every government officials are in relations to our location, I would say this legislation is more symbolic than anything, and also BAT-**** crazy.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Egypt is a textbook example of why people should be able to have guns. The police just quit showing up for work. Neighborhoods are working together to protect each other.

I am fascinated by the current relationship their citizens have with the military as well. You can learn much by watching their situation.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Egypt is a textbook example of why people should be able to have guns. The police just quit showing up for work. Neighborhoods are working together to protect each other.
Yes, it would be swell if everybody had guns when all sorts of fears and rumors were running through the population. That would provide many opportunities for good people to shoot bad people. That would quickly calm everything down. :rolleyes:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Yes, it would be swell if everybody had guns when all sorts of fears and rumors were running through the population. That would provide many opportunities for good people to shoot bad people. That would quickly calm everything down. :rolleyes:

It would calm down the thought of stealing in those neighborhoods. Most people who are DRT (dead right there) seem to be very calm. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Having guns complicates law enforcement and makes individuals more dangerous in all situations. Looser weapon control makes lesser bandits and emotionally unballanced people more likely to have guns, to escape notice, and to use them.

On the other hand, tighter control makes people less capable of scaring the government and local authorities. That can be either a good thing or a bad thing, depending not only on how legitimate and representative the government is, but also on how willing common people are to take matters of safety into their own hands and to accept the lessened degree of effectiveness of the police and military.

It is often said that if citizens are not allowed to have guns, only criminals will have them. That is only marginally true, and can be countered by reminding people that if everyone has guns:

1) Criminals, most of all, will have them and be willing and able to use them and to avoid detection and law enforcement

2) Unbalanced individuals are the most likely to pass unnoticed and to do regrettable things with the least warning and the least opportunity to be helped in time.

3) Everyone else will have guns as well.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It would calm down the thought of stealing in those neighborhoods. Most people who are DRT (dead right there) seem to be very calm. ;)
What your guns-for-everyone fantasy fails to take into account is the fact that criminals have easy access to guns when private citizens have easy access to guns. The problem in the US is that most criminals get their guns from legal sources--either purchased legally or stolen from legal owners.

Bandits in Egypt nowadays are, for the most part, unarmed. Every gun purchase is registered and licensed in Egypt. There is therefore not a huge pool of private guns to feed criminals with weapons. Without easy access to weapons, there is far less death and injury caused by criminals. If your fantasy were to come true, those neighborhoods would find themselves infested with armed criminals instead of unarmed ones.