• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King (R-NY) introduces gun control legislation

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
In my case, I doubt it. One thing I know though - they sure didn't expect ME to have one. Voila!

In another case, yes, the criminals who were trying to break into a woman's home did have guns - but when they saw through the window the sheer SIZE and TYPE of gun she held up, they left.

In the case where a man I know used his handgun in order to prevent a carjacking, the criminal had at least a knife.

In the case where a man I know was assaulted in a parking lot, I don't think the criminal had a gun.

Bismillah

Submit
Ok so of the three cases the fourth had a gun. I think it is quite remarkable that a women had the courage to confront people with those types of weapons.

In my opinion it would have been better to stay put and call the police, but it worked.

However, taking out a gun when the criminal has his own is always a gamble and if it doesn't illicit enough fear in him will result in violence and put everyone at risk, including possible innocents who had nothing to do with the fact that a bystander wanted to play hero.

Archer

Shooting an animal, for example, is a violent act initself.

So is slaughtering the things by the thousands, so is fishing. I guess you have a problem with me taking a deer? How about killing the dog that is terrorizing my animals? How about a bear that has my daughter cornered?

Get an idea before you make such stupid statements.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I'm beginning to suspect you like to use that label wantonly without fully comprehending when to use it.
I suspect that for some reason you are not going to support your claim with anything other than more unsubstantiated claims.

At any rate, it is my opinion that once a false statement has been revealed to be a false statement, any repeating of said false statement is a bold faced lie.

Now since neither you or darkedness have been able to support this claim...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my opinion it would have been better to stay put and call the police, but it worked.
Cops are always some amount of time away. Calling them makes sense some times, but not others.

However, taking out a gun when the criminal has his own is always a gamble and if it doesn't illicit enough fear in him will result in violence and put everyone at risk, including possible innocents who had nothing to do with the fact that a bystander wanted to play hero.
Life is full of risks. To not use a gun when being threatened has its risks too.
Armchair second guessing by gun opponents has limited value.

Archer

I suspect that for some reason you are not going to support your claim with anything other than more unsubstantiated claims.

At any rate, it is my opinion that once a false statement has been revealed to be a false statement, any repeating of said false statement is a bold faced lie.

I completely disagree. If a lie is repeated enough people will start to believe it and one day it is accepted as truth.

Bismillah

Submit
So is slaughtering the things by the thousands, so is fishing. I guess you have a problem with me taking a deer? How about killing the dog that is terrorizing my animals? How about a bear that has my daughter cornered?

Get an idea before you make such stupid statements.

Why don't you take a look at the definition of violence and try to link together that calling something violent is not a condemnation of it before going on about unrelated tangents that no one really cares for.

Bismillah

Submit
Cops are always some amount of time away. Calling them makes sense some times, but not others.

In that instance, home robbery, calling the police and locking yourself in a room seems the safest thing to do.

Life is full of risks. To not use a gun when being threatened has its risks too.
Armchair second guessing by gun opponents has limited value.

Is it fairer to put people who are unrelated to your decision at the same risk you put yourself in?

Bismillah

Submit

Now since neither you or darkedness have been able to support this claim...

Sorry if my word choice hurt your feelings run along now.

Archer

Why don't you take a look at the definition of violence and try to link together that calling something violent is not a condemnation of it before going on about unrelated tangents that no one really cares for.

Actually I think that is your issue. A clean kill is nothing like happens in a slaughter house. It is humane. Also are you scared to address the other needs I have for a gun?

I have been told by animal control to kill these animals.

Do you have any experience with weapons? Killing? Hunting? Anything that can qualify your views?

Wannabe Yogi

I have confecting feelings about Guns.

Do to my religious beliefs I really don't want one in my house. At the same time I loved Guns in my youth. I hunted a lot. I even have asked my father in law to take my son out and teach him to use fire arms. I think it is important thing to do in a culture that allows Guns. Also, when I went backpacking in the Brooks Range in Alaska I took my brother in-laws shot gun for protection against Bear. Not the little black ones that are basically big pigs that we have in most of the lower 48. I have no problems getting rid of those without a gun.

I do not believe that owning a Gun creates a safe environment. More friends and family members are shot then intruders. At the same time a well armed people are just one more check and balance to keep our country free.

Also, it kind of makes me laugh that it is Christians who defend the right to bare arms. The early christians refused to defend themselves or even their kids. Taking up the cross and following Christ was the Ideal that they lived by. Today they join the army, and grab a gun not only to protect themselves but as a political statement. This goes against the very teachings of Christ.

Bismillah

Submit
Actually I think that is your issue. A clean kill is nothing like happens in a slaughter house. It is humane. Also are you scared to address the other needs I have for a gun?

Seriously what the hell are you talking about? A "clean" kill or any other type of kill is still by its definition violent.

I'm not arguing against you I eat meat...So stop diverging from the topic?

So you cannot support your claim, right?
Of course, I already knew that you couldn't.

Right pulling out a gun when the other bloke has his own out isn't going put anyone in danger of getting hurt at all...right.

Archer

Seriously what the hell are you talking about? A "clean" kill or any other type of kill is still by its definition violent.

I'm not arguing against you I eat meat...So stop diverging from the topic?

Right pulling out a gun when the other bloke has his own out isn't going put anyone in danger of getting hurt at all...right.

I agree some people don't need gun and evidently you are one of them. You actually pay someone to preform violent acts on animals so you can eat. You are a sick person.