• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King (R-NY) introduces gun control legislation

Mercy Not Sacrifice

Peter King, Leading Republican, To Introduce Strict Gun-Control Legislation

You know how it's already illegal to take a gun within 1000 feet of public schools? Essentially, this law would extend that criteria to knowingly bringing a firearm within 1000 feet of a government official.

Nobody can say they didn't see this coming. Like I said, when you shoot a congressperson, you take away ALL our freedoms. Oh, and I can't wait to hear the NRA's reaction to this bill.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

You know how it's already illegal to take a gun within 1000 feet of public schools? Essentially, this law would extend that criteria to knowingly bringing a firearm within 1000 feet of a government official.

Nobody can say they didn't see this coming. Like I said, when you shoot a congressperson, you take away ALL our freedoms. Oh, and I can't wait to hear the NRA's reaction to this bill.

Hopefully, its just an overreaction that doesn't get anywhere, I 'ld hate to have to support the NRA on this one. :help:

As a side, I know its wrong but I still feel we could do with a few less government officials anyway.:help:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Republican in name only as far as I'm concerned, but that's beside the point. Whether this is Republican or Democrat or whatever party in way of new introduced gun control legislation it's still just a false sense of security met at the expense of law abiding people. Criminals will always have their own sources and means to go to irregardless of what the government says, controls, and enforces. Criminals can be controlled to a degree obviously but cannot be stopped. Sadly, thats just the way it is and how the world works. Prepare for the nudie scanners and intimate pat downs as well. ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It sounds like an excellent way to ensure that more law abiding citizens are unarmed.
Do you suppose that Loughner would've obeyed the new law?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
To keep our governmental officials safe, I think we should gather them together and send them to a secure, underground bunker facility. Then we should lock the door, and throw away the key.

As a side-effect, this will make us safer too.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
When it comes to guns, US laws and policies are a form of social insanity. Lunatics exist in every society, but the US government goes out of its way to make dangerous weapons available to them with no effective background check. (The law on background checks was routinely ignored in Arizona, as it is in many states, and there is no enforcement of it.) This law should pass because it will make it easier for law enforcement officials to stop and arrest anyone who carries a gun into a political rally--a practice that was openly allowed in the last election cycle, much to the dismay of those of us who can remember the assassinations that have occurred in the past.

The ban on oversized clips like the one the Loughner used existed from 1994-2004. Although even President Bush saw reason to extend the ban, Congress was having none of it. They either were enjoying the support of the gun lobby or running pell-mell in the opposite direction. So now we may see another temporary re-ban of those devices that were designed to facilitate mass murder.

Archer

Crap what If I live near one and I am going hunting and he jogs by the house? Do I go to prison?

Mercy Not Sacrifice

So government officials will no longer be allowed to have armed bodyguards?

It's a safe bet that they'll include that as an exception.

Republican in name only as far as I'm concerned, but that's beside the point. Whether this is Republican or Democrat or whatever party in way of new introduced gun control legislation it's still just a false sense of security met at the expense of law abiding people. Criminals will always have their own sources and means to go to irregardless of what the government says, controls, and enforces. Criminals can be controlled to a degree obviously but cannot be stopped. Sadly, thats just the way it is and how the world works. Prepare for the nudie scanners and intimate pat downs as well. ;)

At risk of reviving an old argument, the adjective form is "Democratic." "Democrat" is a proper noun.

So... if this gets passed and Sarah Palin gets elected, she'll be hunting alone.

Win! :bow:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It sounds like an excellent way to ensure that more law abiding citizens are unarmed.
Do you suppose that Loughner would've obeyed the new law?

I'm sure most of us would know the answer to that one. I would think he would have just alternatively strapped on explosives like terrorists do or through another means considering his particular level of hatred, insanity, and his disregard towards any innocents who had nothing to do at all with active government policy. His chilling mug shot shows him smirking.

I BTW third Kilgore's comment as well.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Crap what If I live near one and I am going hunting and he jogs by the house? Do I go to prison?
Read the original description of the bill (which, given the state of modern journalism, may bear no resemblance to the fact). The government has to prove that you "knowingly" carried a gun within a thousand feet. Clearly, this bill means that the smarter game animals will be making a point of attending political rallies held by government officials. :)

Amill

Apikoros
I don't see how this bill actually prevents anything. It's not like this law is going to stop a shooter who is already risking a conviction of murder lol.