• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet advice

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Jensa said:
If mostly harmless hasn't owned reptiles before, I can get a friend of mine who works at a local zoo to help you out. :) I don't know much about them myself, beyond "heating rocks are BAD!"

I agree, heating rocks are bad...they can cause some really nasty burns!:giraffe:

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
michel said:
Hey, this is good!

At home, she is an angel, except when she sees or smells a cat in our back garden; she goes completely mad, barking, jumping up to try and get to the cat....

The same when we are out walking her...if she sees a paper bag on the road that might be an animal, she gets ready.

Cat desensitization, here we go!

What you need:

One cat aggressive dog

One very mellow cat
Lots of treats
A Gentle Leader head collar
A good strong, leash

A lot of patience!!!

I always do this in my living room with no other distractions. I'll put my
kitty in a far corner. (My kitty will hold a down stay, but you can give
your
kitty a bowl of wet food to keep them in place if you want. This will also
counter-condition the cat to aggressive dogs!) I'll then bring the dog down
the hallway towards the kitty. You must stay calm!! When they start to freak
out, I'll just walk backwards down the hall without saying a word and
without
any leash corrections. I'm always facing the cat. I don't turn around at
all.
When you walk backwards with a dog on a head collar, their face turns toward
you. There's your opportunity to reward them. I don't give commands and I
don't ever reprimand. This is desensitizing, not obedience! If you do this
everyday, a couple times a day, you'd be amazed at the results! (Just be
careful the cat doesn't get too fat from eating all that wet food!)

When you get to the point where the dog is getting used to the pattern (If I
aggress, we go the other way.) what you will be looking for is unsolicited
looks. You want the dog to turn and look at you before the leash gets tight.
That's when you know you're making progress! The whole point to this is so
the dog gets the pattern. When they see a cat, you want them to look at you
to get the treat, not look at the cat.
Get closer only when the dog isn't reacting as intensely. Also, don't do
this for more than a few minutes at a time at first.

Now, keep in mind this is for indoor cats & dogs to co-exist. HOWEVER, you can use the same approach with your dog outside, it will take longer as you are trying to get her to be less reactive. With patience it can be done.

You are going to have to get your dog used to wearing a halti-you could do it without using one but I think it goes a little easier with one.

Carry cookies for the dog, when you see a kitty-STOP where you are. Jiggle the cookie bag to get your dog's attention, NO COMMANDS, when she looks at you give her a cookie. Repeat until the cat or other small animal is out of her line of sight. DO NOT give her a cookie if she is staring at the cat...only give it (you have to be ready) when she stops looking at the kitty to look at you.

PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE...CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY.

The other instructions I posted because I thought it would be beneficial for you to read them...some info for ya..but you guys will have to be creative since the problem is outside of the house...
It is going to take longer but I think if you guys are vigilant you will get good results...

Booko

Deviled Hen
Jensa said:
If mostly harmless hasn't owned reptiles before, I can get a friend of mine who works at a local zoo to help you out. :) I don't know much about them myself, beyond "heating rocks are BAD!"

You can, though, get a heating pad that sits under your terrarium and provides an even heat without having it come into direct contact with your snake.

I always had overhead lamps with the chameleon, but then, they like to be a high up as possible, so it's better to provide heat from above.

Booko

Deviled Hen
MysticSang'ha said:
: hamster : <---------------I love this emoticon. It's so much like me, it's uncanny.

I do miss our cavies. When Tribble died, we had only Checquers left, and she was lonely because my daughter got allergic to her and couldn't pick her up. :( But we gave her to the Montessori class, where she was well loved for years and given wonderful leftover fruits from the cafeteria and greens from the kids' veggie gardens in the courtyard.

I wouldn't dare get another cavy now, though ... not with the 4 cats we have.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Willamena said:
Is it okay to feed cats soy milk?

Why would you want to? They're quite happy with water.

Though I do pamper one cat of mine who's especially fond of chicken broth. I use homemade or Pacific brand broths, as they aren't stuffed with MSG and other noxious things cats (and people) don't need.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Booko said:
Why would you want to? They're quite happy with water.

Though I do pamper one cat of mine who's especially fond of chicken broth. I use homemade or Pacific brand broths, as they aren't stuffed with MSG and other noxious things cats (and people) don't need.

Some people have this thing about having their carnivorous pets on a vegetarian diet which I think is unhealthy.

Not saying Willamena does.

Just just saying that some people do.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Booko said:
You can, though, get a heating pad that sits under your terrarium and provides an even heat without having it come into direct contact with your snake.

I always had overhead lamps with the chameleon, but then, they like to be a high up as possible, so it's better to provide heat from above.

Yea, I forgot about that one...I have one they stick to the underside of the tank.
I put it and the lamp on the same side.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Engyo said:
MH -

What are your thoughts about raw, or "biologically appropriate", diets?

They work for some people. I don't think they are particularly safe though. Some animals handle it better than others, but that does not mean that it is an appropriate diet for most pets.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
mostly harmless said:
They work for some people. I don't think they are particularly safe though. Some animals handle it better than others, but that does not mean that it is an appropriate diet for most pets.
Well, I have had wonderful results with my Akitas........they are calmer, healthier overall, far less likely to tear up stuff around the house, and their breath and teeth are in much better shape. We've been doing it since 1999, and while I agree it takes some organization, I can recommend it.

We originally started because our old Akita (in 1999) was diagnosed with inoperable breast cancer. My wife went looking for alternative treatments, and she came up with this diet. Tomoe (the akita) got a 10 month reprieve, in which she felt much better, was more active and responsive, and seemed to be in less pain, before the cancer finally took her.

I currently have two Akitas, one male and one female. The male has been eating this way since he was 1 1/2, and the female since she was 4 months. It works for us.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Engyo said:
Well, I have had wonderful results with my Akitas........they are calmer, healthier overall, far less likely to tear up stuff around the house, and their breath and teeth are in much better shape. We've been doing it since 1999, and while I agree it takes some organization, I can recommend it.

We originally started because our old Akita (in 1999) was diagnosed with inoperable breast cancer. My wife went looking for alternative treatments, and she came up with this diet. Tomoe (the akita) got a 10 month reprieve, in which she felt much better, was more active and responsive, and seemed to be in less pain, before the cancer finally took her.

I currently have two Akitas, one male and one female. The male has been eating this way since he was 1 1/2, and the female since she was 4 months. It works for us.

Well, it is good that it works for them..
I have seen too many dogs get sick and or die from illness directly related to eating raw meat...
I have also seen the same results as you have in other dogs..
So, I would never recommend that someone feed their pets a raw diet, because I would feel awful if their pet did not tolerate it well and ended up sick..I instead will teach people about the ingredients in pet food, what to look for, and what to advoid...I have a couple of brands that I prefer (I have an allergy dog)...I always tell people who want to do the BARF diet to talk to their Vet about it first and fully research it before starting.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your other Akita. I bet she was sweet.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Bangbang said:
:tigger: How can I train my dog to chase Jehovah's Witnesses away......unless they are HOT BABES?

:biglaugh:

LOL ..I got visited by them today....They gave me a little magazine...funny my BF wanted to know the same thing!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Bangbang said:
:tigger: How can I train my dog to chase Jehovah's Witnesses away......unless they are HOT BABES?

Good Heavens, Bangbang, you don't need a dog to do that!

Just do what my Wiccan friend does -- answer the door skyclad!

Booko

Deviled Hen
mostly harmless said:
:biglaugh:

LOL ..I got visited by them today....They gave me a little magazine...funny my BF wanted to know the same thing!

The last time we had Jehovah's Witnesses visit our house, it was in the middle of a study circle with maybe 8 members of the Baha'i community.

We invited them in for prayers and a chat. It was quite interesting.

They haven't returned. But then, it's been my experiences that JW's don't return when they figure out we're Baha'is. I think the folks at the Kingdom Hall tell them we're off limits for teaching.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
How can I train my dog to chase Jehovah's Witnesses away......unless they are HOT BABES?
Maybe you could put a big pentagram on your dog's collar?

I am wondering how long it will be before some one gets the thought in thier mind to invite me to church with them. Or maybe all my neighbors like to keep to themeselves. Been here a week and haven't met any of them.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
mostly harmless said:
Well, it is good that it works for them..
I have seen too many dogs get sick and or die from illness directly related to eating raw meat...
I have also seen the same results as you have in other dogs..
So, I would never recommend that someone feed their pets a raw diet, because I would feel awful if their pet did not tolerate it well and ended up sick..I instead will teach people about the ingredients in pet food, what to look for, and what to advoid...I have a couple of brands that I prefer (I have an allergy dog)...I always tell people who want to do the BARF diet to talk to their Vet about it first and fully research it before starting.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your other Akita. I bet she was sweet.
Thanks.

Actually she was a very dignified and very tough lady, but could not really be called sweet. If any of them are sweet it's my male Akita. He walked over next to me a minute ago, sat down, and leaned his head over into my lap to get his scratching.