• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

personal god

syo

what are the differences and qualities of a ''personal'' god and an ''impersonal'' god?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
what are the differences and qualities of a ''personal'' god and an ''impersonal'' god?

Personal God, God with a persona of some type, Like Jesus or Vishnu.

Impersonal God, considering God as the absolute, void, an impersonal force.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I would assume that a personal god knows you, while an impersonal god would at least potentially be perceived as "high and mighty", unwilliing or even unable to make much of a connection to individual believers.

syo

I would assume that a personal god knows you, while an impersonal god would at least potentially be perceived as "high and mighty", unwilliing or even unable to make much of a connection to individual believers.
in christianity, jesus the son the personal god is the way to impersonal father god.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The terms confuse me as well, possibly because they're specific to Christian/Abrahamic theologies and religions. I wouldn't describe the gods as either of those two things. The only sense in which the phrase "personal gods" computes to me is to interpret it as "the gods worshiped by a particular person" or "the gods whose domains relate to the private life rather than public life." :sweat:

Reactions: syo

BSM1

What? Me worry?
in christianity, jesus the son the personal god is the way to impersonal father god.

This. I feel that one of the main attributes of both the historical and the spiritual "Jesus" is that this is a bridge between what we know and what we can only hope to believe.

Reactions: syo