• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Person of color

I am a "person of color" as the phrase is generally understood.

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
In the middle of people not taking a serious question seriously, that's a good point. The question I think was American centric.

I'm Australian, it works in that context.
Someone earlier (@columbus ??) mentioned that their life experience was effectively 'white' and I think that comment makes sense. The argument can be broadened to majority versus minority in more general terms, but it kinda misses the mark then.

Ultimately exact DNA lines aren't what matters here if we're trying to discuss life experience or privilege. Perception is.

(For example, I lived in a majority black country and had both tangible advantage and social issues due to my skin colour...this doesn't match too well with the general experiences of Aboriginals in Australia)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread is more instructive than expected -- and also more pathetic and disturbing.

Speaking for myself I answered the question from the view of how I'm perceived.
My racial mix...so to speak...is a broad mix. But I'm a white, middle aged male, and have increasingly considered the impact this has had on my life.

In terms of a more technical consideration, I have no real understanding of 'race' as a concept. But the perception of it, as well as gender and cultural considerations more broadly, certainly impact on our interactions.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hopefully the poll is self-explanatory.

Yes....... very sadly, it is.

Dreadful question, I think.

'...... of colour'?
Really? I tell you what...... if you want some real down-to-Earth education about that, take a street survey in a cosmopolitan area like, say, Forest Gate London. E7 and at least you'll learn very soon how ignorant that term is considered to be..... no such definition, nor place for it .... any more.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
This thread is more instructive than expected -- and also more pathetic and disturbing.

The Thread Title is pathetic and disturbing.

You've obviously come from some other planet.

In our lifetimes the word 'colour' was used to definite various races, printed on toilet doors, buses, food dispensers and more. The word became socially unacceptable about 40-50 years ago........... and you are still uneducated enough about that to want to use it.

I know what several of my mates would say if they saw the thread title........... about the OP. Honestly.

Wake up!

In the middle of people not taking a serious question seriously, that's a good point. The question I think was American centric.

When people make fun of a commonly used, nonsensical term that they believe is problematic, they are taking it seriously.

How would you define a PoC?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
When people make fun of a commonly used, nonsensical term that they believe is problematic, they are taking it seriously.

How would you define a PoC?
If the thread was seeking an accurate response then it's failed before it starts, because I can think of many races, nationalities and cultures who wouldn't want to take part.

Ergo, a failed survey.

Daft, I call it.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I have that "fabulous" skin color that is generally pale, and under the sun turns really red, really quickly and then it hurts and my skin peals off. During the summer I wear a layer of 50+ sunscreen every day, and then I have to add mosquito spray because the vicious things love me. oh joy :rolleyes:

I never understood why people who are fair skinned, bake themselves in the sun to become brown skinned, and then say they have a problem with colored people...??? :confused: What is wrong with that??? o_O