• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pepe Rises Again

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
It confuses me. I'm with @ChristineM that defacing art is offensive, whether you like it or not, but what the heck does a frog have to do with anything?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am amused that an obvious joke is being investigated as a "hate crime." Let me know whether this offends or amuses you. :)

Pepe Strikes Again
Well it is obvious that the choice of Pepe the Frog is a political statement - and an unpleasant one. They did not put pick Mickey Mouse, after all, did they?

But "hate crime" seems a stretch. At whom is the "hate" being directed, and how?

And frankly, all these "murals" are basically graffiti in a hideous urban dystopia, so I find it hard to get terribly fussed about them being "defaced". I think we've all got far bigger things to worry about.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
And frankly, all these "murals" are basically graffiti in a hideous urban dystopia, so I find it hard to get terribly fussed about them being "defaced". I think we've all got far bigger things to worry about.
I prefer a mural over the nonsensical graffiti that litter a city.

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
but what the heck does a frog have to do with anything?
He has been defined as a hate symbol by the ADL, as if they have the authority to make such a declaration. For many he's simply a joke and represents the political hysteria that has swallowed much of our culture. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Pepe is a known dog whistle for neo Nazis.
Though started politically neutral I guess. Like the “okay” symbol. I swear everything just has like 20 layers to it thanks to the internet

PureX

Veteran Member
Truth be told, hardly any of that stuff is ever art. It's advertising. So who cares? It's just more annoying, unwanted, squawking and hawking of useless BS at us; as all advertising is. I prefer the individual advertising of graffiti to the corporate advertising of giant "buy me" billboards, but not by much. It's all just visual trash and clutter. The detritus of a 'civilization' gone mad.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Defacing art (even art i don't particularly like) offends me
I agree with you, but we're both out of touch with
modern Ameristan. Defacing art is most fashionable.
Of course, this depends upon whose ox is gored.
Wrong though it be, I find this one funny....Bernie
as Pepe...<snicker>.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am amused that an obvious joke is being investigated as a "hate crime." Let me know whether this offends or amuses you. :)

Pepe Strikes Again
From the link....
"Artist felt that the defacement may have been motivated by hate or political bias"
If "political bias" or "hate" in general make it a "hate crime",
that would apply to an awful lot of events the left approves
of, eg, toppling statues, graffiti. They'd be hoist with their
own petard.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm also 'offended' by human turds and used condoms on the sidewalk. Yet for those of us who live in cities, these things are a common sight. So is graffiti, corporate billboards, and spray painted gang signs everywhere you look (often all on the same wall).

Like I said, it's just the detritus of a civilization falling to pieces. Yes, it's offensive, but it's where we are, now.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm also 'offended' by humans turds and used condoms on the sidewalk. Yet for those of us who live in cities, these things are a common sight. So is graffiti, corporate billboards, and spray painted gang signs everywhere you look.

Like I said, it's just the detritus of a civilization falling to pieces. Yes, it's offensive, but it's where we are, now.
Billboards differ though by being legally purchased rights.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You should rent a billboard for that message.
yellow-smiley-billboard-4595325.jpg