• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Who Survive Suicide Attempts

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have ever known someone who has attempted suicide and survived, what was their life like afterward? Did things change for the better or worse? Or not at all?

Also, if you don't mind sharing, how long did it take for things to change for them afterward, if they did change?

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
I survived three separate suicide attempts in High School. Things were worse for me after both of the first two, and my psychiatrist tried to have me institutionalized after the third one.

It has been 5 years since my last attempt. I stopped because I didn't want to fail again and be locked away. My life only spiraled further out of control after that, where I was nearly expelled for truancy because I couldn't maintain the energy to go to my classes on time, but my teachers made a special exception for me with a note from my psychiatrist.

Shortly after getting my diploma, I ended up homeless due to a number of compounding factors, which was a low point in my life.

It is only this year that I have managed to get into a cybersecurity training program and find a career. I feel better than I have in perhaps my entire life, and over the last month the night terrors have stopped. It seems likely that I will continue improving. I managed to get my foot in the door to focus on improving my physical health through Stoic practices, which in turn has helped me cope well enough to do my own chores, shopping, and hold down a job.

It does seem like, now that I have started to make progress, I don't feel as terrible as I once did. I would still rather have never been born, and I don't look forward to living for potentially 60 more years, but I think I'm better at enduring it now.

I contemplated whether I should really share this information or not, but I figure it doesn't matter. Even the people who know me in person can tell how broken I am.

Reactions: KW

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have ever known someone who has attempted suicide and survived, what was their life like afterward? Did things change for the better or worse? Or not at all?

Also, if you don't mind sharing, how long did it take for things to change for them afterward, if they did change?

When I was young, I had a friend that didn't attempt, but called for help because she didn't think she could stop herself anymore. She received immediate medical care, and was in the psychiatric ward for a short stay(I feel it was about a week). They were able to help her identify some major stressors in her life, and were able to help her overcome them. Things got a lot better.

In my 20s, I had a friend who I invited to live with us. He seemed down on his luck. He was across the country, so I couldn't see the warning signs of his mental illnesses, and I took his word for face value and didn't read into his troubles any more than what he told me. He was a long term internet friend, but my husband knew him in 'real life'(it was him who had introduced us).

Without going into too much detail for brevity's sake, he stayed with us for a year or two. He had issues staying employed or seeing to any of the basics of life(hygiene, shopping, etc) and had become abrasive to us(I'm sure, in his defense, he thought we were abrasive, too). I became pregnant with Ares. I told him that I couldn't continue to house and care for him with a newborn on the way. We gave him 5 months notice to find a new living situation.

The next morning, he came upstairs to 'chat', looking white as a ghost. I told him he looked like hell, and asked if he needed to go talk to a doctor. He said don't bother. He'd taken rat poisoning, and would be gone soon. I told him he could go to the hospital in the car with me, or I could call the ambulance. He chose the car, and I rushed him, stopping for him to vomit now and then. He was in intensive care for three days. Then he went to the mental unit, where they kept him for three days, and released him, despite him saying he would attempt again(he was uninsured :rolleyes:)

We'd called his mother during all this. He had to go home.

I always hoped things were better for him. We didn't really keep contact. I hear through the grapevine he'd gotten evicted from his mother's for bad hygiene practices(they really were extreme), and that he'd gone to live in a major city with a friend, and that he'd patched things up with his ex. He'd always liked that city and I know he missed his ex, so I am optimistic for him(though close to a decade has likely passed since this happened).

Yerda

Veteran Member
A friend I've had since we were about ten years-old tried to off himself a couple of years ago. Since then he got the help he needed, got a diagnosis, strategies to deal with problems big and small and honestly he seems much more at ease with himself now.

A few months after he left the hospital he started talking quite freely about the stuff that was going on for years that he kept quiet about. He started getting in touch to meet up and spend time with friends which is something he hadn't done much for a long time. Got over his ex. Went back to uni, now has a good job and career possibilities. He's more enjoyable to be around now. Lighterhearted and funnier.

I doubt it is always (or often) this way but for him it seemed to be a "rock bottom" kind of thing and he bouned back.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First off, i joined the survivors circle sub forum with the intention of telling my story but it seems im not ready yet.

So.

Just over 3 years ago my brother in law who is a paranoid schizophrenic left a message on Facebook that he was going to end it. I saw the post, tried to call him, no reply. I phone the police who sent out patrols to look for him. He was found walking to the motorway bridge he had decided to jump from.
After a few days in hospital a friend took him in. He had sessions with various professionals over the next couple of years. Now he's working and actually looking for a place he can call his own. He is still very ill but coping and living with it.

I cannot praise the actions of the police enough for their efforts on that day, and the mental health services who gave him the tools to carry on.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Ive been suicidal on and off since I was 9 years of age. My first suicide attempt I was 14 years old. Im a very traumatized indiviual in general it's no surprised I tried to end my life. How has my life been after that? Until I was 18 years of age I had nothing but trauma after trauma. My whole life has been a series of traumas. I'm 20 now. Lately my life has been improving. Haven't had any massive trauma in 2 years. My last suicide attempt I promised my twin sister I'd never end my own life. I've kept that promise. Sometimes it was the only thing keeping me alive. Now I have purpose. I dont want to die anymore I have a reason to live. I also don't want my abusers to win.

It didn't change for better or worse as a result of my suicide attempt. The first suicide attempt I had led indirectly to me being kicked out of my legal guardians house at 14 placed in a mental hospital and then into a group home then fostercare and then my grandma's. Now I live in a group home for disabled adults. The suicide attempt got me away from one trauma inducing situation added some trauma and cuz of fate led me down this path. I probably wouldn't be at this group home without it I'd likely would had guardianship placed on my as an adult by my abusive aunt. I already had to escape my grandma claiming guardianship over me. I had two choices when I moved into this grouphome- My grandma having guardianship. Or me living in a group home able to make my own choices. I called the folk who were able to get me into a group home before the process of getting guardianship could be placed on me. I forced her hand. I wanted my freedom. I wanted to make my own choices as an adult even if I happen to have a disability and be treated like an adult. If I lived with my aunt and she had tried to put guardianship over me I wouldnt have had access to a phone there's no way she'd allow it. I wouldn't have been able to leave. I'd be in an abusive situation and no way out except the court system. And if I'd won the legal battle I'd have no place really to go.

I guess if it didnt change my life for the better it at least put me on the path towards a better life.

We Never Know

No Slack

Know/knew several people that tried and survived and some that didn't survive.

1. 25 years ago she put a gun(a 38) under her chin and pulled the trigger. Blew out through the top of her head. She walked to the hospital, told them who she was, and what happened.
It took a couple years but she still lives a normal life with no side/bad/affects today working as a nurse. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

2. 19 years ago put a 44 to his chest and pulled the trigger. After a year and few surgeries he resumed back to normal. He still lives a normal life with no side/bad affects today working as a prison guard. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

3. 7 years ago. He took 75 hydrocodone 10 pain pills with a fifth of whiskey. Was found a few hours later unresponsive and rushed to the hospital. Stomache was pumped, given charcoal and narcan. With in 1 month again a normal life with no side/bad affects. Today working selling insurance.. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

A few others didn't survive.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I was about 9 or 10 when I first started having suicidal ideations. I was lonely, miserable, bullied, abused, ruled over with an iron fist basically everywhere, constantly getting in trouble for things I didn't do, hardly any family connections with my two siblings leaving home when I was very young, my dad was/is a piece of ****, and my mom abusive and authoritarian. I also struggled with being trans, which would worsen several fold as I grew in my faith in Christianity. What I suspect was the breaking point that did put me over the edge and make me start having suicidal ideations was one day in class everyone (or nearly everyone) was making fun of me for something, and when I turned to my only friend I saw him joining in on it with them. Even my own mom saw me being bullied once and did nothing about it and let it continue.
Mid/late-teens I attempted. It wasn't much of an attempt, however, because my ritual knife/athame, the only knife in the house that was sharp enough for the job (my mom is an absolute klutz with knives so they are usually kept dull in the house) (I kept it sharp for this reason) was not where I normally kept it at the alter at the side of my bed. And I didn't have one of those "I don't really want to die afterall" moments I hear about. I still wanted to die, but having lost the energy and will to live I just didn't have it to get up and look for the knife. So instead of dying I lied catatonic for however long until I drifted asleep.
I would still have suicidal ideations for several years, until I accepted myself as trans. But even then I still had passive ideations, and those didn't stop completely until I started transitioning to female. And now it's been years since I've really been suicidal (the exception being for many months after my brother died, while my grieving was at its worst). I still have a lot of depression and such from past issues, but killing myself just isn't on my mind anymore.

We Never Know

No Slack
I was about 9 or 10 when I first started having suicidal ideations. I was lonely, miserable, bullied, abused, ruled over with an iron fist basically everywhere, constantly getting in trouble for things I didn't do, hardly any family connections with my two siblings leaving home when I was very young, my dad was/is a piece of ****, and my mom abusive and authoritarian. I also struggled with being trans, which would worsen several fold as I grew in my faith in Christianity. What I suspect was the breaking point that did put me over the edge and make me start having suicidal ideations was one day in class everyone (or nearly everyone) was making fun of me for something, and when I turned to my only friend I saw him joining in on it with them. Even my own mom saw me being bullied once and did nothing about it and let it continue.
Mid/late-teens I attempted. It wasn't much of an attempt, however, because my ritual knife/athame, the only knife in the house that was sharp enough for the job (my mom is an absolute klutz with knives so they are usually kept dull in the house) (I kept it sharp for this reason) was not where I normally kept it at the alter at the side of my bed. And I didn't have one of those "I don't really want to die afterall" moments I hear about. I still wanted to die, but having lost the energy and will to live I just didn't have it to get up and look for the knife. So instead of dying I lied catatonic for however long until I drifted asleep.
I would still have suicidal ideations for several years, until I accepted myself as trans. But even then I still had passive ideations, and those didn't stop completely until I started transitioning to female. And now it's been years since I've really been suicidal (the exception being for many months after my brother died, while my grieving was at its worst). I still have a lot of depression and such from past issues, but killing myself just isn't on my mind anymore.

Sorry you experienced all that. From the experience's I've seen, if someone wants to really do it, they do it. The only thing that prevents it is...
1. Luck
2. A miracle
3. A freak incident

With that said. If people look around, they will usually see someone in life has it worse than they do and that person isn't giving up.
It doesn't make it easier but maybe it shows people shouldn't give up.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Know/knew several people that tried and survived and some that didn't survive.

1. 25 years ago she put a gun(a 38) under her chin and pulled the trigger. Blew out through the top of her head. She walked to the hospital, told them who she was, and what happened.
It took a couple years but she still lives a normal life with no side/bad/affects today working as a nurse. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

2. 19 years ago put a 44 to his chest and pulled the trigger. After a year and few surgeries he resumed back to normal. He still lives a normal life with no side/bad affects today working as a prison guard. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

3. 7 years ago. He took 75 hydrocodone 10 pain pills with a fifth of whiskey. Was found a few hours later unresponsive and rushed to the hospital. Stomache was pumped, given charcoal and narcan. With in 1 month again a normal life with no side/bad affects. Today working selling insurance.. If you didn't know, you wouldnt know.

A few others didn't survive.

If you don't mind sharing, do you know how their lives eventually improved or what kind of support (professional or otherwise) they got?

We Never Know

No Slack
If you don't mind sharing, do you know how their lives eventually improved or what kind of support (professional or otherwise) they got?

From what I know and understand, after their attempt(the surviving ones of course), they took a new look at life, said it was a miracle they were alive and decided they had a purpose and was going to live life finding it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
With that said. If people look around, they will usually see someone in life has it worse than they do and that person isn't giving up.
It doesn't make it easier but maybe it shows people shouldn't give up.
All that does is diminish, downplay, and dismiss the suffering experienced. Like my mom, you can tell her that all you want and she's just not likely to see someone who has had it worse.
Sorry you experienced all that. From the experience's I've seen, if someone wants to really do it, they do it. The only thing that prevents it is...
1. Luck
2. A miracle
3. A freak incident
It was just coincidence in my case. No luck, no freak accident, no miracle, just a misplaced knife thwarting how I planned to do it when I went to do it.
Wouldn't be any different, in intent and plan, had I put a gun to my head, squeezed the trigger, and found that the ammo had been removed.