• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People who say they are happy

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There are people who say they are happy because everything has gone their way and their life is just as they want it to be. They have/had a successful career and a happy marriage and most of them raised children. They have had no real problems or struggles in life. Some of these people are still working but many are retired. Those who are retired planned for their retirement way ahead of time and everything is working out as they planned it. Most of them raised children and many have grandchildren and are now “doing” whatever they want to every day.

If this sounds like a fantasy, too good to be true, then obviously you are not one of these people. ;)

These people might be happy but are these people really better off than those of us who have never had a stable life but have rather struggled all our lives and are still struggling day by day with no plans for the future and no way to know if this is ever going to change?

Please note that I am not referring to financial security. The happy people I described are financially secure but the ones who struggled and still do might also be financially secure, yet they have had other struggles and still do.

This is related to our ultimate purpose in life which is why I posted it here. I will leave to ponder how my question might be related to our ultimate purpose in life but I would appreciate your comments. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There are people who say they are happy because everything has gone their way and their life is just as they want it to be. They have/had a successful career and a happy marriage and most of them raised children. They have had no real problems or struggles in life. Some of these people are still working but many are retired. Those who are retired planned for their retirement way ahead of time and everything is working out as they planned it. Most of them raised children and many have grandchildren and are now “doing” whatever they want to every day.

If this sounds like a fantasy, too good to be true, then obviously you are not one of these people. ;)

These people might be happy but are these people really better off than those of us who have never had a stable life but have rather struggled all our lives and are still struggling day by day with no plans for the future and no way to know if this is ever going to change?

Please note that I am not referring to financial security. The happy people I described are financially secure but the ones who struggled and still do might also be financially secure, yet they have had other struggles and still do.

This is related to our ultimate purpose in life which is why I posted it here. I will leave to ponder how my question might be related to our ultimate purpose in life but I would appreciate your comments. :)

One has to learn how to be happy.
Perhaps this is something we don't teach so well.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My life could be considered a struggle. And its not always stable. But I'm happy. I have bad days. I always reserve the right to complain(because venting does help me relieve stress). Sometimes I get down for a few days or a week, but on a whole, I'm happy.

On a whole, its how a person views things. I could sit around and cry how my kids are challenging and I can't have nice things because they tear them up(actually, I think people expect me to do this), and how I have little time to pursue things I enjoy. But, I don't. I'm happy my kids are healthy, and I view myself as fortunate that I've been forced into circumstances that curbed attachment to stuff 'n things. So what if I have no time to myself? Who said I was ever entitled to such?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. We can examine this in many ways, from brain structures and functions, general health, stress levels, they really are better off and do very generally enjoy better health, better relationships with others, more satisfaction from life, they even tend to live longer.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

You live with cats. Therefore: You're happy. :D

A Vestigial Mote

I'm just glad to hear when other people report that they are happy. I'm glad for them. I mean... who among us doesn't like that feeling of happiness or joy over something? Perhaps it often lasts too short a time for many... but if there is someone out there who gets to experience that in an ongoing manner, either due to their circumstances or their outlook, or some combination? Good for them. I'm not going to worry about whether or not my circumstances are worse, or lament that I don't get to be like them, or even look at my own life to discern how I might still be "one-upping" them.

I believe contentedness trumps "happiness" anyway - because I feel that contentedness is plausible for the longer haul, and it is more a matter of perspective (therefore more controllable) than "happiness" seems to be. I also don't believe that humans have any over-arching "purpose." There would have to exist something to convey/confer/grant/produce that "purpose," and I know of no such thing existing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

You should be aware that no matter how well life treats you generally there are always bad times.

And those bad time can be more devastating when you are not used to dealing with them as a way of life.

And what is the ultimate purpose in life?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are people who have everything but are unhappy. Happiness which depends on possessions turn to ash if they vanish. There is a reason it's called being "deadly serious". As Hafiz (as rendered by Ladinsky) put it:

Tripping Over Joy

What is the difference
Between your experience of Existence
And that of a saint?

The saint knows
That the spiritual path
Is a sublime chess game with God
And that the Beloved

Has just made such a Fantastic Move
That the saint is now continually
Tripping over Joy
And bursting out in Laughter
And saying, “I Surrender!”

Whereas, my dear,
I am afraid you still think
You have a thousand serious moves.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I believe contentedness trumps "happiness" anyway - because I feel that contentedness is plausible for the longer haul, and it is more a matter of perspective (therefore more controllable) than "happiness" seems to be.
I agree with that. If can be content in spite of my circumstances that is an accomplishment for me.
My perspective is not always under my control, the ability to have a positive perspective comes and goes.
I also don't believe that humans have any over-arching "purpose." There would have to exist something to convey/confer/grant/produce that "purpose," and I know of no such thing existing.
As a believer I believe that God confers that over-arching purpose but I respect your non-belief in such a God.