• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Who Defy Expectations

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, if what she says is true, then the brain is not biology, and she provided proof she is a pudding brain. And, let's be honest. An arts professor is gonna go there? A field engulfed and driven by hyper-post-modernism-gone-amuck? And she's gonna say someone's feelings and emotions are just "blah, blah, oh well?"
She said it herself, her brain's not a biological component. It's pudding.
Her view is surprisingly less than educated.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lifelong Republican Kelsey Grammar strongly supported gay marriage. (Also, given how he’s mostly remembered for Frasier, his real life politics is a little ironic in a way.)

As an aside, I always roll my eyes so hard they endanger themselves of falling out of my head whenever anyone tries to use the sex argument against the existence of transgendered people. Geez I learnt the difference between sex and gender in proper detail back in like grade 9/10.
You were precocious compared to me.
I'm both a late and a slow learner.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It wasn't the same mold they used to make Kennedy and Lincoln (who had much in common, btw).
This was made from a die rather than a mold...
original.jpg

Kennedy sure did have a tiny head.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Her view is surprisingly less than educated.
Not surprising or expectation defying though. Feminists "around her age and wave" are of TERFs, and they provide some wonky wack *** points. Like how they can't call a trans-woman a woman because if he's harassed and ridiculed he might like it. And you typically have to struggle and suffer as a woman to be a woman, according to them. Really, overall, they are strangely kind of about like the "doom and gloom don't do it" crowd when it comes to transitioning. The take away being anything related to being female, feminine, or woman is to be miserable, full of suffering, and it's blaspheme to suggest otherwise.
We all struggle though. It seems to me the key difference is those who keep going, looking ahead, while the rest give up and insist life and your identity has to be a struggle. Which sounds awfully like those Christians who promote doom and gloom because god doesn't want us smiling, being happy, or having it easy.
Perhaps it has to do with strictly and dogmatically adhering to an ideology, but clearly something makes people more prone to defining themselves based upon their struggles and hardships, to the point it becomes a requirement and focus. In a culture of "just be yourself," just being yourself may not always necessarily be enough.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not surprising or expectation defying though. Feminists "around her age and wave" are of TERFs, and they provide some wonky wack *** points. Like how they can't call a trans-woman a woman because if he's harassed and ridiculed he might like it. And you typically have to struggle and suffer as a woman to be a woman, according to them. Really, overall, they are strangely kind of about like the "doom and gloom don't do it" crowd when it comes to transitioning. The take away being anything related to being female, feminine, or woman is to be miserable, full of suffering, and it's blaspheme to suggest otherwise.
We all struggle though. It seems to me the key difference is those who keep going, looking ahead, while the rest give up and insist life and your identity has to be a struggle. Which sounds awfully like those Christians who promote doom and gloom because god doesn't want us smiling, being happy, or having it easy.
Perhaps it has to do with strictly and dogmatically adhering to an ideology, but clearly something makes people more prone to defining themselves based upon their struggles and hardships, to the point it becomes a requirement and focus. In a culture of "just be yourself," just being yourself may not always necessarily be enough.
I think atheist libertarians have an advantage over others regarding tolerance.
We've no political or religious dogma about what another human should be like.
All that matters is not swinging ones arms into neighboring noses.
So I won't be calling you a suicidal man who offends God for using the wrong restroom.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We've no political or religious dogma about what another human should be like.
You just heard hers. Not political, not religious, but still a standard definition of a human for them. A poor and incompletely informed conclusion, but one that is still today popular. Another one I've seen brought up objections and inability to "take up the markers of the oppressed." So, if a woman is wearing heels and makeup, she not only had better been born female, the genetic definitions get absurd enough that she had better not be infertile and have regular periods or she has to take the heels and makeup off because she's not a woman. They don't have god or politics, they have fashion and behaviors and the sort of arguments generally favored by dictators or those who support horridly cruel oppression of others (such as the US practice of lobotomies and sterilizing people).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You just heard hers. Not political, not religious, but still a standard definition of a human for them. A poor and incompletely informed conclusion, but one that is still today popular. Another one I've seen brought up objections and inability to "take up the markers of the oppressed." So, if a woman is wearing heels and makeup, she not only had better been born female, the genetic definitions get absurd enough that she had better not be infertile and have regular periods or she has to take the heels and makeup off because she's not a woman. They don't have god or politics, they have fashion and behaviors and the sort of arguments generally favored by dictators or those who support horridly cruel oppression of others (such as the US practice of lobotomies and sterilizing people).
Her view on what trans folk should be like is rooted in politics, I say.
There's no scientific origin for it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There's no scientific origin for it.
That's what it seems it is. A "genetic purist" sort of argument, often based on outdated science or a poor understanding of the topic. Not really the same thing as a "no science found here" type of position postulated by a Creationist. The Creationism relies heavily upon fraudulent pseudo-science and research that is plagued with methodology problems. Often enough these "genetic purist" positions are based on science, but it's been decades at least since anyone in science took them seriously.
As for what she said, in many ways that is how it happens. You can even sex cremated remains. However, it does ignore that the brain, also a part of our biology and more-or-less our "operating system," also has a "sex." It's kind of like those Creationists who don't realize they actually are correct when they say "you can't prove evolution," but it has no implications for the "larger picture" as this "technically unprovable theory" is the basis of contemporary biology. In regards to transgender people, well, no **** we can't change the chromosomes. But there's quite a few people out there, MtF and FtM, of all sorts of transgender types, and no one ever really finds out or knows. At that point, it's like some bratty kid who says "ICKY!" and spits out a mouth full of food hearing an ingredient they don't like is in it, even after eating multiple helpings.
And, really, I don't think anyone wants to go around and genetic testing each other, and scanning for this and that, and checking to make sure everything matches up accordingly to what they think. Truly, the only pragmatic solution that doesn't involve massive invasions of privacy is just mind our own business and let people be. But it's too easy, too simple, involves no outrage and controversy, so people won't like it. They want butch lesbians who were female at birth to prove they're female and show ID to go pee.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
This is a problem, but let's not pretend that it's exclusive to the left.

Predominately a lefty problem. At least the right supports free speech.

Unlike the far left. Here Antifa burning a free speech sign at Berkeley.
burning.jpg

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Let's say you have someone who doesn't accept homosexuality and/or transgenderism as legitimate, yet believes that they should still have the right/freedom to do as they wish with their own lives/bodies as long as they aren't hurting others and shouldn't be subjected to discrimination, harassment, etc. I.E. left in peace to their own devices.
Would you consider this person homophobic/transphobic?