• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People Who Are Against Gay Marriage Aren't Thinking Things Through.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This is exactly why I voted NO for Prop 8, even though I am an observant Muslim. Disagreeing with homosexuality is one thing, but stripping the rights away from human beings is quite another. I keep my politics and my religion separate and I wish more people did the same.

Welcome the the RF. You completely understood what I was saying. :)

jasonwill2

1 corinthians 6:9-11-- teaches-- homosexuals( practicers) will not enter Gods kingdom( eternal life)
I didnt say they didnt have the right-- i said God is the one who gave them free will to have the right. But they will lose out on eternal life if they choose that path.

Why are you quoting the Christian Bible like it has any significance here? It was written by men, so even if a god was talking to them, there is the capacity for error. And since your human mind is reading it, there is more error as you can't interpret it correctly or perfectly being flawed, meaning that your guess is only as good as anyone's on Biblical interpretations.

kjw47

Why are you quoting the Christian Bible like it has any significance here? It was written by men, so even if a god was talking to them, there is the capacity for error. And since your human mind is reading it, there is more error as you can't interpret it correctly or perfectly being flawed, meaning that your guess is only as good as anyone's on Biblical interpretations.

I dont interpret the bible--Jesus,s appointed teachers do. And the point of homosexuality in Gods written word is cut and dry that a 10 year old can understand it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
1 corinthians 6:9-11-- teaches-- homosexuals( practicers) will not enter Gods kingdom( eternal life)
I didnt say they didnt have the right-- i said God is the one who gave them free will to have the right. But they will lose out on eternal life if they choose that path.
Well, if your position is that homosexuality is sinful, but people should have the legal right to same-sex marriage if that's what they want, then you're not against same-sex marriage.

We could probably have a long debate about the morality of homosexuality, but it sounds like we're on the same side on the issue of what the law should be. I disagree with your views on homosexuality, but I respect the fact that (apparently) you don't want to impose those views on others.

averageJOE

zombie
I agree.

Something happened to some friends of mine a few years ago that really crystallized what same-sex marriage is all about. They aren't a same-sex couple themselves, but the incident demonstrated the real value of marriage to me:

My friend, who's had asthma his whole life, but didn't realize it was as bad as it was, went into severe respiratory distress one night. He was rushed to the hospital and put into an induced coma. He did make a full recovery eventually, but he was unconscious for a month, and awake but intubated, drugged and generally out of commission for another month after that.

Meanwhile, though, his wife still had to attend to all the normal things that a person has to do, like pay the rent and the utilities. However, she had a problem: his salary got directly deposited to his account, and she couldn't pay the mortgage without it.

As it happens, because they were married, she was able to go into the bank, explain things to the manager, get access to his account without much trouble, pay the mortgage, and get back to the business of helping her husband recover and caring for their children.

It was then that I realized that when a person says "I'm against same-sex marriage", they're effectively saying that if a same-sex couple was in a similar situation, the best outcome is the one where the person's partner and young children have their mortgage foreclosed and get thrown out into the street.

I think this is monstrous, frankly. I sincerely hope that people who are opposed to same-sex marriage are opposed to it because they haven't thought things through, and not because they really are so vindictive and, IMO, evil that they would wish this on someone.

The rights of marriage matter most when things are at their worst. Denying the rights of marriage to same-sex couples really just amounts to kicking people when they're down.
This is a great example. I'd like to add my two cents if I may...

I believe that the government is obligated to allow same sex marriage in all states simply because of the "don't ask, don't tell" repeal.

When I was deployed in Iraq we had a couple of homosexuals in my Unit. One female wore a ring on her left hand because in her and her partners minds they were married, though not legally. And I thought nothing of it...until our convoy was hit by an IED. She was in the truck directly behind the truck that was actually hit, and the soldier who got wounded was sitting in the exact spot she was in in her truck. Simply said, I could have very easily been her. The soldier who was wounded was flown to Germany to try and save his leg and, more importatly, his life.

Now, the military flew his wife to Germany to be with him. Think about that. If that were the gay female soldier I mentioned she would have been all alone in Germany while her girlfried/wife sat home going crazy not knowing anything. And if she died she would not get a single penny. Is that fair?

Because of the repeal of DADT I feel that the government is now obligated to recognize and allow same sex marriage. Marriage. Not a civil union or any other stupid term. Marriage.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I dont interpret the bible--Jesus,s appointed teachers do. And the point of homosexuality in Gods written word is cut and dry that a 10 year old can understand it.

and by what criteria do you determine who these teachers are?
is it the standard of an unverified claim...?

excellent.

:areyoucra
ps...
a 10 yr old will justify himself by using double standards

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

What I have been trying to get through here is that not everyone is a Christian. If someone is not a Christian, they are not going to follow Christian doctrine. Since I am a Christian, I will follow Christian doctrine. If every single person was a Christian, then it would be different.

We have to be believe in religious freedom for everyone, not just those who follow our religion and faith. And people who don't follow any religion or faith have freedom for that, as well.

kjw47

and by what criteria do you determine who these teachers are?
is it the standard of an unverified claim...?

excellent.

:areyoucra
ps...
a 10 yr old will justify himself by using double standards

They teach what Jesus taught as truth.

kjw47

What I have been trying to get through here is that not everyone is a Christian. If someone is not a Christian, they are not going to follow Christian doctrine. Since I am a Christian, I will follow Christian doctrine. If every single person was a Christian, then it would be different.

We have to be believe in religious freedom for everyone, not just those who follow our religion and faith. And people who don't follow any religion or faith have freedom for that, as well.

I said a couple of times that it was God that gave everyone free will to choose anything they want to do--it is men who stop certain things. I also am christian and go by that point of view, i dont expect everyone to agree with it. I am not going to say that i agree with something God opposes, just because someone else thinks it might be politacally correct or something.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
At 1 corinthians 6:9-11-- it starts by saying do not be mislead by any other teaching--it goes on to list gross sins that Gods word says practicers of these sins will not enter Gods kingdom( eternal life)
So the main reason of why a christian would oppose gay marriage is because they see their brothers or sisters choosing 70-90 years maybe of temporary pleasure when they could live to do Gods will and recieve-- trillions x trillions x trillions, etc of never ending years of pleasures. God has dignified everyone with the right of free will to live as they choose, but to a real christian the helping one to see what they choose may help them to gain eternal life--That goes for fornicators( sex out of marriage) adulterers,drunkards( i would say drug addicts as well) greedy,thieves,idolotors,etc-- Christians do not hate the people, just as God doesnt hate them, but as God will not condone such actions neither should a christian.
Yah, except that the passage in question deals with idolatry specifically -- not homosexuality. Perhaps a real Christian would exegete the passage properly before passing judgment on another person?

sojourner

What if its all the above?

Perhaps their faith motivates them to see homosexuality as an unnatural thing in society and they feel that its truly wrong to be gay. We are talking about an honest belief that being gay is wrong. Is that hate?
What about those who truly believed that it was wrong for blacks and whites to mix in society? Is that hate?

sojourner

Its not by the hand of man one has freedom--true freedom came from God,He gave us free will, and yes they can choose the path to gay marriage if they choose, I was only pointing out what both sides of the scale looks like. But also if one is a christian they must choose the path opposite of what God says he will not accept.
Sorry. I don't see where it says "God will not accept homosexuality."

sojourner

The ot laws have been done away with, Jesus came and made a new covenant. The covenant of Love.
Which, of course, doesn't include homosexual love.:facepalm:

By saying what you've said, you've automatically eliminated fully half of the biblical passages that ostensibly condemn homosexuality.

sojourner

A christian chooses the path of what is found in Gods written word,if God rejects something so does the christian--The rest can choose as they will, its a gift from God=free will. Govts can make any laws they desire, but if they are in opposition to Gods laws then a christian always puts God first.
Yes Gods word teaches not to break the laws of govts( as long as they arent in opposition to Gods laws) so they have no reason to throw one into prision.
Isn't being true to yourself and striving for love in God's word?

sojourner

Gods word teaches that now the law would be written on ones heart--under love--examples--If one truly loved his brother( sister) they wouldnt steal from them, nor covet their things or mates, or commit adultery against them ,or murder them, etc,etc.
Would they be attracted to them?

sojourner

Every time you read the bible you're interpreting.

No. It isn't that simple. Although 10 year-olds ought to be taught that differences are quite normal.