• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People that have actually read the bible.

Sententia

Hee hee.

atheists-pie-chart.png

Its ok to laugh. Seriously.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I haven't read it.

I didn't understand this thread for about fifteen minutes. :D I thought the chart was something only people who had actually read the bible would understand... And I didn't get it at all... I didn't realize the title of the thread was also the title of the chart. :D

Smoke

Done here.
How many of the atheists were believers when they started reading The Bible?

I was. I think reading the Bible is an excellent first step in the journey from believer to atheist. I don't mean to disparage the Bible by that remark, either. When you actually read it attentively, it's painfully obvious that the things they've been telling you about it aren't true -- but that's not the Bible's fault.

Archer

Hell I don't think that chart is correct. I think the green should have a smaller section:) I really dont think half of the church leaders out there know more than a child is taught in Sunday School.

I am with Smoke on this if I am understanding what he is saying. I find less contradiction in the Bible than most of those claiming to teach from said book.

dogsgod

'Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.'

Isaac Asimov

If only more believers read The Bible...

tarasan

I honestly don't get the joke... :shrug:

i think its trying to say that athiests read the bible more than christians do, who i personally would find hard to believe in my experience, generally you find Athiests are all to good at quote scriptures that they found on some website but when it comes to putting those verses into context they either refuse or cant.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
i think its trying to say that athiests read the bible more than christians do, who i personally would find hard to believe in my experience, generally you find Athiests are all to good at quote scriptures that they found on some website but when it comes to putting those verses into context they either refuse or cant.
I thought that was the germ of the joke, but I didn't know whether Ian McKellan and the Bible was an internet meme I had never heard of and the anthropology reference made no sense to me either. I suppose I missed the funny and I was over analyzing it.
But when it comes to reading the Bible my experience is similar to yours. The Jesus mythicists are a good example of some (usually) atheists taking historical passages out of context and confusing the pseudoscholarship of a Wells or referencing wildly divergent pagan hero/savior myths as confirmation of their position. It's this lazy and ignorant way of reading history and literature to conform to one's philosophical bias.

tarasan

I thought that was the germ of the joke, but I didn't know whether Ian McKellan and the Bible was an internet meme I had never heard of and the anthropology reference made no sense to me either. I suppose I missed the funny and I was over analyzing it.
But when it comes to reading the Bible my experience is similar to yours. The Jesus mythicists are a good example of some (usually) atheists taking historical passages out of context and confusing the pseudoscholarship of a Wells or referencing wildly divergent pagan hero/savior myths as confirmation of their position. It's this lazy and ignorant way of reading history and literature to conform to one's philosophical bias.

true its just a little sad, I however take some happiness that not alot of athiests are like that, I have met some really intelegant ones who really know their stuff.

dogsgod

Of course it's ignorant and lazy not to accept the gospels as historical accounts of actual people and events, besides, the ancient Jews were not known to write any mythologies or allegorical fictions, nor did they believe in supernatural heroes or heavenly realms. The Son of God walked the earth exactly where and when these gospels, er, historical documents claim he did and only those that realize this are intelligent enough to know when they're reading real history written by real historians.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I assume the ratio of people who have read and understand the bible compared to the number who claim to, is about equal to the ratio of people who have read and understand Shakespeare compared to the number who claim to. I estimate both to be about 1:1000.