• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People of the Book

J2hapydna

I have studied the Bible and have found some interesting descriptions of the Prophet in it, as the Quran suggests. These descriptions enhance my faith in God. However, I have been unable to reconcile my understanding of the Quran with the orthodox hadith methodologies used for acquiring 3lim e Din.

So, I am wondering would I be considered a Quranist if I believe in the Bible in addition to the Quran as scripture?

From my point of view:

The Quran describes Jews and Christians as People of the Book who study the Ayaat of Allah:

Qur'an 3:113-117 Surah Ale-'Imran (The Family of 'Imran)
Not all of them are alike: of the People of the book are a portion that stand (for the right); they rehearse the signs (Ayaat) of Allah all night long and then prostrate themselves in adoration.

I am guessing, these were the Jews and Christians who recognized Muhammad in the Bible:

Those to whom We have given the Book (Jews & Christians) recognize him as they recognize their sons; (as for) those who have lost their souls, they will not believe. (al-anʿām, 6: 20)

These people became:

Among the people of the Book there are some who have belief in Allah and in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down to them, and who are humble before Allah. They do not sell Allah’s Signs for a paltry price. Such people will have their reward with their Lord. And Allah is swift at reckoning. (Al Quran, 3 Ale Imran, 199)

On the other hand I see no mention of people who discarded the Bible as incapable of guidance in the Quran. I do see verses describing tharif which could be just in meaning and opinions of people such as Paul who were nt prophets (that can easily be separated from the Gospels).

Thanks.

J2hapydna

I said,

On the other hand I see no mention of people who discarded the Bible as incapable of guidance in the Quran. I do see verses describing tharif which could be just in meaning and opinions of people such as Paul who were nt prophets (that can easily be separated from the Gospels).

I meant:

On the other hand I see no mention of people being told to discard the Bible because it was incapable of guidance, in the Quran. I do see verses describing tharif which could be just in meaning and warning about opinions of people such as Paul who weren't prophets (but they can easily be separated from the Gospels). If this weren't possible how could the Jews and Christians mentioned above have discovered Muhammad in the Bible?

Last edited:

Union

Hi mate . Sorry not to grasp you properly :eek:. Please put your question again the simplest way you can . Thanks .

safdar.dushantappeh

simpleislam.weebly.com
So, I am wondering would I be considered a Quranist if I believe in the Bible in addition to the Quran as scripture?

Why would care how people label you? That aside, I believe the core responsibility of Quranists should be reviving Islam by washing it from the Hadith.

I personally do believe that bible is the book of God and could help showing the right path. And I would happily read it through if I had more free time. Considering my limited time budget, I feel my time can be more efficiently spent on Quran. Working on bible is more difficult due to the deviations mixed with the version of bible that we have and lots of inaccuracies introduced by translations.

J2hapydna

Union, Hi, I have been unable to reconcile my understanding of the Quran with the hadith text. However, I have found interesting descriptions of the Prophet in the Bible as suggested in the Quran. So, I am wondering would I be considered a Quranist if I believed in the Bible in addition to the Quran as scripture?

safdar said:
I believe the core responsibility of Quranists should be reviving Islam by washing it from the Hadith.

So do I. I look at them as a historical text rather than some binding religious text.

safdar said:
Why would care how people label you?

I care because I wouldn't want to express my ideas (linking Quran to the Bible) on a forum (Quranist DIR) where other members thought I did not belong. Although I do use the Quran to justify my position.

Last edited:

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
I have studied the Bible...

Thanks.

Dear J2hapydna,

The fact that the current Christianity and Judaism are distorted religions is very evident from the Quran and also from the Hadith...

The current Gospel, torah etc... are filled with contradictions and distortions...

So you should 'move' toward Allah by following what the prophet (s) has blessed you with.

[...]

There are Hadiths that the prophet have said in front of thousands of people and has repeated them again and again . How could someone ignore such treasures. Islam view on the hadith is so apparent.

So what I recommend is that you emphasize on studying the Quran and the certain Hadith [...]

Also study the Shia case for following the infallible 12 imams..

All the best

J2hapydna

safdar said:
Working on bible is more difficult due to the deviations mixed with the version of bible that we have and lots of inaccuracies introduced by translations.

True, but finding passages describing the prophet has made the effort worthwhile.

Once these passages are understood, a person gets a better sense of why Jews and Christians accepted the prophet. Also, one realizes that it wasn't primarily the conquest and humiliation of Jews and Christians that was responsible for their conversion. On the contrary, it was the fact that they had converted that allowed the Arab armies to succeed.

Last edited:

J2hapydna

Shia Islam said:
The current Gospel, torah etc... are filled with contradictions and distortions...

Personally, I was quite comfortable sorting them out and finding why the Prophet was saying:

Those to whom We have given the Book (Jews & Christians) recognize him as they recognize their sons; (as for) those who have lost their souls, they will not believe. (al-anʿām, 6: 20)

Then there is the matter of the Quran saying, there were Jews and Christians who believed in the Bible in the days of the prophet who were capable of doing this too, when it says:

Among the people of the Book there are some who have belief in Allah and in what has been sent down to you and what was sent down to them, and who are humble before Allah. They do not sell Allah’s Signs for a paltry price. Such people will have their reward with their Lord. And Allah is swift at reckoning. (Al Quran, 3 Ale Imran, 199)

So, I would find it very difficult on judgment day to say to Allah, I didn't know that the Bible could be reconciled with the Quran because the Jews and Christians changed the meaning of the words and people such as Paul had included their commentaries in the Bible.

I fear Allah will reply, hey kid, I gave you a brain to figure it out, you had the verses in the Quran in front of you telling you that there were Jews and Christians doing it. All you had to do was use the dictionary to figure out the different meanings. In addition, it wasn't like the Christians jumbled the words of Paul into the Gospel. So, how hard was it to separate them and figure it out? Do you see what I am saying? Then, I would expect Him to ask, which part of the Quran didn't you understand when I said both the Bible and the Quran and there were Jews and Christians who had done it?

In my case of course, I have no choice because I spent time reading the Bible and have discovered that the Quran was completely right. I also think knowing this fact changes my understanding of how Islam was spread in a very peaceful way. On a personal level, the alternative described in the hadith text is unthinkable to me.

Last edited:

W3bcrowf3r

I have studied the Bible and have found some interesting descriptions of the Prophet in it, as the Quran suggests. These descriptions enhance my faith in God. However, I have been unable to reconcile my understanding of the Quran with the orthodox hadith methodologies used for acquiring 3lim e Din.

From my point of view:

The Quran describes Jews and Christians as People of the Book who study the Ayaat of Allah:

Qur'an 3:113-117 Surah Ale-'Imran (The Family of 'Imran)
Not all of them are alike: of the People of the book are a portion that stand (for the right); they rehearse the signs (Ayaat) of Allah all night long and then prostrate themselves in adoration.

I am guessing, these were the Jews and Christians who recognized Muhammad in the Bible:

These people became:

Thanks.

Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

The whole Revelation of the Gospel is different then the Tora, Psalms and the Quran.

The Quran told us to judge with the Gospel, see 5:47. The Quran told us to uphold the Tora and the Gospel, else we dont have any bases, read 5:68. The believers are those who believe in the Quran and the Ones that were sent before, read 2:4.

Fait without works is dead. And the NT is the Gospel, the Good News that was the same in the time of Muhammad as it is now.

The difference now is that these sectarian muslims are telling you to disbelieve in it and that it is changed. But these people are following a sectarian religion themself, and do not know a word Greek or Hebrew.

The NT is the same as 1400 years ago. The Tora survived until the time of Jesus Christ, read the Gospel. The Tora survived until the time of Muhammad, read the Quran in 5:43, 5:68, 29:46 etc.So trust in God. Seek and you will find.

Anyways, if you reject Paul, then you are rejecting Peter, if you are rejecting Peter, you are rejecting Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and if u reject those, then nothing is left anymore. And you will end up somewhere on a google article with a link to a fabricated Gospel.

All the chapters are written by the Apostles and those who helped them. The difference is because the Holy Spirit was given after Jesus Christ was Resurrected and sitting at the Right Hand of Gods Throne. And it was given to the Apostles. At Pentacost, read Acts. Paul was the one who was being preserved for the Gentiles. The others went to the House of Israel.

Simon Peter the greatest Apostle said that Paul is hard to understand. And that people will twist hes words etc.

Paul was very educated in the Tora and in the Gospel. Thats why people misunderstand him.

PS abbrogation doesnt mean that u should ban the Book. Even the Gospel has abbrogation. Example, pray for your enemy, instead of an eye for an eye..