• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

People are leaving church because

The Church is losing members because

• Covid

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • People are fed up with church practices

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Young folks are looking for something different

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • People have stopped believing in Christainity

Votes: 25 92.6%

• Total voters

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I think these articles and the video are worthy of consideration for the topic of the thread. In my opinion, I think the video is spot on and I recommend watching it. I also recommend doing some research online for yourself about why people are leaving the church. I think being informed is a good thing. There are a plethora of articles trying to explain why people are leaving the church in droves.

Barna Poll: Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church

USA Today: Why American Christians are turning people off from the Church

Pew Research Center: In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

Good video. :thumbsup:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think these articles and the video are worthy of consideration for the topic of the thread. In my opinion, I think the video is spot on and I recommend watching it.
Thanks for the video.

The vices it singles out seem to be much more largely the vices of conservatives ─ Republicans, if you like. Not that I disagree, of course, but there are kinder and more tolerant and more open versions of Christianity out there.

But even they may well not be selling what the market is looking for any more.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I would take a small yet genuinely devout religious family, over a large community of uncommitted hypocrites. Perhaps it is for the best that certain people do not walk through those doors.
But "devout" to which religion?

The rest of your post was excellent, imo.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
None of the above.

People are leaving chuch, congratulations congregations declining, for several years. My view is the better education and communication (internet etc) are the cause.

There is evidence that higher education such as university sees a sharp drop in religiosity. Though there might be several factors to consider beyond education itself of course. Leaving home for first time, being exposed to other views, learning critical thinking skills, and being away from family and friends so free to think for oneself entirely.

pearl

There is evidence that higher education such as university sees a sharp drop in religiosity. Though there might be several factors to consider beyond education itself of course. Leaving home for first time, being exposed to other views, learning critical thinking skills, and being away from family and friends so free to think for oneself entirely.

I agree, especially critical thinking skills. And being exposed to other views. I remember when our daughter was in university, a friend was a descendant a native American tribe from the Poconos and interested her in Native American spirituality.

Riders

Well, I just got off the phone and got my job selling business supplies, I set appointments for my boss too. anyways he said 'We don't call x-rated or any kind of adult entertainment place, nor bars, or liquor stores or convenience stores because they sell liquor.

Any other Christian outside of my old-timey old church and churches like them would say glory hallelujah I can serve God and work here!
But our biggest clients right now are salons, hair salons, nail salons, tanning salons, I'll be calling them and secular book stores and secular gift shops, all of which are of the devil according to them.

Of course, any kind of salon will sell services that go against their dress code, they only go to Christian book stores and gift shops. I remember some of them told me they wouldn't even go to the library!

No. I mean do you have evidence that this is the reason why people are leaving,....

Ok, sorry, that is just how I see it. To be sure, we should ask from everyone what was the reason. However, I believe also that when the church rejects God and His teachings, it cannot last very long, because God is the "force" that keeps it standing.

Treks

I hovered over and discovered that apparently my browser tab has an opinion:

upload_2022-8-17_20-29-27.png

Riders

Well, every sense I saw videos about the Pagan Christ it just all seems very Paganized to me. On the other hand, if I felt God was telling me to be Christian I would. But it would be an acceptance that the church is Paganized. But I am not feeling that now.

Muffled

Jesus in me
So I thought this would be a good topic. I am just wondering how many Christians out here have left church.

I believe I get there as often as I can but I have to drag my kids there kicking and fighting. One wishes to avoid church because he is a sinner and is not willing to repent and thee other thinks God is beating up on her and that might be because of her sin.

Muffled

Jesus in me
While I never was a believer, I still was a church member and I was active in the youth program. We had an arrangement that was cancelled by the church, so I left. That was 40 years ago.

I believe there is still time. The thing is you are not as likely to hear what you need to hear unless you attend church.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I believe I get there as often as I can but I have to drag my kids there kicking and fighting. One wishes to avoid church because he is a sinner and is not willing to repent and thee other thinks God is beating up on her and that might be because of her sin.

Why do you feel like you have to force them? Why not let them make their own decisions about their beliefs? Maybe they simply don't believe the same way you do.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
So I thought this would be a good topic. I am just wondering how many Christians out here have left church.
I am not a Christian, but I go to the Churches. I find that it is mostly the womenfolk who go to the Churches. Right?

Regards