• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State's Punishment

Informare

Setian I°
I think this is fantastic, and I'm also glad it allows the current roster to transfer and play elsewhere. I still won't, for the life of me, understand the culture that is currently defending Joe Paterno though. Baffling.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wasnt religion invented to stop humans from doing stuff like that?
Maybe the Catholic Church should be banned from bowl games for 4 centuries, eh?

I think this is fantastic, and I'm also glad it allows the current roster to transfer and play elsewhere. I still won't, for the life of me, understand the culture that is currently defending Joe Paterno though. Baffling.
Football. Go figger.
A lot of off the field violence is swept under the rug.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Because football is America's sacred golden calf. People hardly notice when the NBA goes on strike, but when there is a chance that there may not be any football, people get on edge.

While it's good something is being done about it, a post season and bowl ban seems to be a bit harsh and punishing the student-athletes who had, or
will have had, nothing to do with the sex scandal. But at least they are able to transfer, the ones who actually have the means to do so that is.

A

angellous_evangellous

Penn State Nittany Lions hit with $60 million fine, 4-year bowl ban, wins dating to 1998 - ESPN

Having been a landlord over many university students, I've seen lots'o corruption involving athletes.
Let's hope that these sanctions for this massive tragedy change the culture. Argue away, folks!

It looks like they really burned them at the stake. And it's appropriate.

I'm delighted that "justice" was swift in this case, and the NCAA did its part in punishing the school.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
...I still won't, for the life of me, understand the culture that is currently defending Joe Paterno though. Baffling.
I'd recommend watching the movie Varsity Blues, saying "Joe Paterno" every time they say Bud Kilmer, and multiplying the fervor by a factor of $60 million.

As for lumping Penn State football with religion and painting them with the broad brush of "secretive power structure", that requires a disappointing level of ignorance and prejudice.:banghead3

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As for lumping Penn State football with religion and painting them with the broad brush of "secretive power structure", that requires a disappointing level of ignorance and prejudice.:banghead3
What else would you call organizations which take steps over a lengthy period of time to keep a pattern of their crimes secret?
The point of comparison with the Catholic Church is that horrible assaults on children were kept secret by an
organization which exerted enuf power & influence to squelch potential whistleblowers.
Please explain just what I'm ignorant of, & why it's prejudicial to note such a commonality?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I do wonder about stripping Penn State about it's records, do the students who attained records, wins, championships, etc., get to retain their status or was that too striped?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do wonder about stripping Penn State about it's records, do the students who attained records, wins, championships, etc., get to retain their status or was that too striped?
It certainly will be unfair to many. Justice is often a blunt instrument.
To send a strong message to other schools will hopefully result in a greater good.