• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pendulums

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Does anyone have any experience with pendulums?

I don't, but my interest in them is growing....

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I have plenty of experience....hands on!

Like the time I built a rod shaft style in my basement.
Shafted pendulums are different than chain or rope suspension.

One inch steel bar crossed at a six foot length, and a bowling ball jammed unto the bar at the thumb hole.
The cross was pivoted on pillow block bearings wood screwed to the floor joists.
The ball hung just inches over the floor at rest, and the full swing was twelve foot.

I set up a video camera, and after a few test swings to be sure the ball would not slip....I positioned myself against the concrete block wall of the basement.

Holding the bowling ball to my face, and the back of my head to the wall...
I let it go.

The weight swung away....twelve feet across the room and head high....
and then it came back...real fast...directly to the last inch in front of my face!

Now if you decide to play this out for yourself, here's a word of caution.

A bowling ball has sufficient mass and surface hardness to crush your skull.

The average human head weighs fourteen pounds and should you dead fall from a standing height, the acceleration (a simple fall) is enough to kill you.
Getting hit in the face with a sixteen pound pendulum at head height is no different.

So....with the basement wall at the back of my head....if I had flinched forward....enough to make contact....the bowling ball would have broken my smile and slammed the back of my head into the block wall behind me.

DO NOT MOVE!!!!!!!!
This was actually a dangerous stunt!!!!!

I know about 50,000 pound weights on cable, if you're interested.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Does anyone have any experience with pendulums?

I don't, but my interest in them is growing....

I had a good season with them
a few years back.

I have not been in the pendulum groove since then though.

I tend to find the charts both tedious and specifically general.

But occasionally I will use one to "give rise" to my own energy.
(more as a meditation/energy tool)

I have thought of making charts of a more symbolic kind,
much more LIKE the tarot...
but the tarot seems to be more than enough for me right now.

Perhaps one day I'll feel the urge to really put mySelf into it again.
dunno.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I have had experience with pendulums. They can work quite well and I find are usually quite accurate. It is important however, to not let anyone with bad energy to touch it. The pendulum is very sensitive to picking up energies and after it has picked something up (especially negative), it might not let it go. Cleansing it might work, but not always. Sometimes I find the pendulum that works the best is one I just put together on the spot, this may be a piece of string and a large nut or washer as the weight. I had a nice green pendulum made of Amazonite that I bought, but after a while I found it was giving me false information. I have a suspicion that someone was "playing" with it that did not have the best of intentions for me. I ended up destroying it. Anyways, I don't see the need for a fancy chart set up to read a pendulum. I find I get all the information I need just by asking simple yes or no questions and watching which direction it swings. You can program it to swing a certain way for YES and another way to mean NO. Generally I find that if it circles around in a clockwise motion, it means YES. If it spins counter-clockwise, it means NO, but that is probably different for different people.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
I find there are FAR to many questions that cannot be answered with a simple Yes or No.

This is one of my problems with (traditional) pendulum dowsing.

I'm looking for insight.

Coming up with questions that fit a yes/no format is almost impossible for me.
Then to come up with a string of them, is just too much work.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I have had experience with pendulums. They can work quite well and I find are usually quite accurate. It is important however, to not let anyone with bad energy to touch it. The pendulum is very sensitive to picking up energies and after it has picked something up (especially negative), it might not let it go. Cleansing it might work, but not always. Sometimes I find the pendulum that works the best is one I just put together on the spot, this may be a piece of string and a large nut or washer as the weight. I had a nice green pendulum made of Amazonite that I bought, but after a while I found it was giving me false information. I have a suspicion that someone was "playing" with it that did not have the best of intentions for me. I ended up destroying it. Anyways, I don't see the need for a fancy chart set up to read a pendulum. I find I get all the information I need just by asking simple yes or no questions and watching which direction it swings. You can program it to swing a certain way for YES and another way to mean NO. Generally I find that if it circles around in a clockwise motion, it means YES. If it spins counter-clockwise, it means NO, but that is probably different for different people.

Ahh...

Last night I tried it out... I used one of my necklaces that I wear a lot and have a good rapport with, but nothing happened. It just hung there without moving. I must say, I'm not used to that, every other divinitory method I've tried I got great results on the first couple of tries... Is the pendulum more sensitive than Tarot, Runes or I-Ching?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I find there are FAR to many questions that cannot be answered with a simple Yes or No.

This is one of my problems with (traditional) pendulum dowsing.

I'm looking for insight.

Coming up with questions that fit a yes/no format is almost impossible for me.
Then to come up with a string of them, is just too much work.

Yeah, I can understand that...

But for myself, sometimes the Tarot or Runes don't give me the concrete answers I'm really looking for... I was hoping the pendulum could help with a particular Yes/No problem..

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I've watched someone else attempt such things.
A fine crystal weight on the end of a small chain.
Gesture of hand, and observation in an attempt to be sure, or influence.
I see it similar to a magic wand.

Close as I have been...ever....would be finding water with two copper rods, one in each hand, bent to right angles, and allowed to pivot in my grip.
I'm sure you people know the technique.
It works for me.
It really does.

Would pendulums have similar intention?

Can you use them over Ouija boards?

If not, how can they point 'the way'?

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da

But for myself, sometimes the Tarot or Runes don't give me the concrete answers I'm really looking for... I was hoping the pendulum could help with a particular Yes/No problem..
Tarot do tend to be a bit more vague compared to other 'divination' tools.
Pendulums are used to try and get a more 'Yes' or 'No' answer. ^_^

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
In my truck I have a smoky quartz pendulum hanging above my bed. It is shaped so that it tapers so a dull point as it hangs down above me. I feel as though it is doing its job. I know pendulums are used in other ways more often. This is how I use though. I guess I am using it more as a gemstone for healing properties rather than its intended use. It does have the perfect shape for focusing its energy down on me though.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Ahh...

Last night I tried it out... I used one of my necklaces that I wear a lot and have a good rapport with, but nothing happened. It just hung there without moving. I must say, I'm not used to that, every other divinitory method I've tried I got great results on the first couple of tries... Is the pendulum more sensitive than Tarot, Runes or I-Ching?

I'm not really sure what your necklace looks like, but it would be best to just use something that has one chain or string. The weight in the end also needs to be sufficient, like the weight of a double AA battery (just as an example). Take the pendulum and wrap the chain around your fingers with about 8" worth of the chain hanging down with the weight on the end. Support the arm that is doing the dowsing by either holding the elbow or resting it on a table. Sometimes you need to "coax" it into moving at first. Spin it around clockwise and say "this means YES", then spin it around counter-clockwise and say "this means NO". Now stop moving it and ask it a question "is my name ______?" It should start spinning slowly. If it does not start to move, ask it another question..."Is there anyone there?" You know, kinda like with a Ouija board, sometimes you need to say hello. :D

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I'm not really sure what your necklace looks like, but it would be best to just use something that has one chain or string. The weight in the end also needs to be sufficient, like the weight of a double AA battery (just as an example). Take the pendulum and wrap the chain around your fingers with about 8" worth of the chain hanging down with the weight on the end. Support the arm that is doing the dowsing by either holding the elbow or resting it on a table. Sometimes you need to "coax" it into moving at first. Spin it around clockwise and say "this means YES", then spin it around counter-clockwise and say "this means NO". Now stop moving it and ask it a question "is my name ______?" It should start spinning slowly. If it does not start to move, ask it another question..."Is there anyone there?" You know, kinda like with a Ouija board, sometimes you need to say hello. :D

Okay :) Maybe I'm not using something heavy enough... I'll have a look around so see if there's anything that could work for me (that also wants to work with me) Thanks!

Erebus

This is the exact reason why I use a variety of divining methods, pendulum included :D

You probably already know this, but it's worth saying for the benefit of less experienced magicians, don't feel that you have to buy an expensive crystal pendulum or anything like that. Something as simple as a ring tied to a bit of string will work.
The pendulum can be very effective, however it does require more or less flawless mental and emotional control (more so than the tarot in my opinion) and it does make your arm ache insanely after a while :cool:

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Gentoo -
I am not sure if you are an eBayer or not, but you can get a lot of good Witchy stuff there cheap, especially if you can wait a few weeks for something to come from China. (There's lots of good stuff here in the states too.) Anyway, try doing a search for Pendulum Divination or click here and see what comes up. :) Don't forget to check shipping charges as some sellers get sneaky with that.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
This is the exact reason why I use a variety of divining methods, pendulum included :D

You probably already know this, but it's worth saying for the benefit of less experienced magicians, don't feel that you have to buy an expensive crystal pendulum or anything like that. Something as simple as a ring tied to a bit of string will work.

Don't worry, being poor helps to fire up that creative side ;) :D

The pendulum can be very effective, however it does require more or less flawless mental and emotional control (more so than the tarot in my opinion) and it does make your arm ache insanely after a while :cool:

Ahh, I figured it was more sensitive... I need to relax more the next time I try it out...

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I hope you don't mind, Gentoo, but I am going to hijack your thread with a pendulum question. :D

I am looking at a really pretty pendulum for sale. It is made from a gemstone that I am partial to. It has beads of the same gemstone, pentacles, and stars along the chain. Here comes the question:

Does all that fancy stuff on the chain affect how the pendulum works, or am I better off with a balanced, symmetrical pendulum on a plain Jane chain?