• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peaceful vs. Vengeful God

Is god peaceful or vengeful?

• Peaceful

• Vengeful

• Apathetic

• God doesn't exist

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

idav

Being
Premium Member
What are your concepts of god? Is god venegful, peaceful or apathetic? Is god supposed to save humanity or bring its demise, or just watching with no cares?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
God is going to do what he says he's going to do. Burn the Earth with fire on the last day, and raise up all the dead for the day of judgement. Reward everyone according to what they have done on the Earth.

idav

Being
Premium Member
God is going to do what he says he's going to do. Burn the Earth with fire on the last day, and raise up all the dead for the day of judgement. Reward everyone according to what they have done on the Earth.
I know burning the place to the ground will create peace but there are probably more productive ways of dealing with the world.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think god is peaceful and that the wrathful zombie imagery in the book Revelation is symbolic.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I know burning the place to the ground will create peace but there are probably more productive ways of dealing with the world.

I think he exhausted all the other possibilities, the only cure for sin is the complete and utter destruction of mankind.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably should have voted "other" as that is technically the more correct response with respect to the theology of my path, but as the overwhelming majority of gods are "apathetic" to humans, I marked that instead. Humans are the ones that project qualities like "peaceful" and "vengeful" onto the gods, more often than not. Humans call a god "peaceful" if it happens to support their selfish whims, and "vengeful" when it gets in the way. Such judgements are human attributions, not intrinsic to the gods. Exceptions would be for things like the Spirit of Vengeance itself, which is, by definition, vengeful.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What are your concepts of god? Is god venegful, peaceful or apathetic? Is god supposed to save humanity or bring its demise, or just watching with no cares?
He is watching.
and if you have what it takes to live in peace...fine
the next life is yours

if not......squish!

rusra02

Premium Member
I am reminded of what Jesus said; "For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." (John 3:16) This does not mean that God will forever tolerate the wicked. I believe he will wreak vengeance in those who have caused so much suffering to others. (2 Thessalonians 1:6-8) But God's dominant quality is love, not vengefulness, IMO.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I voted 'Peaceful'. I view God/Brahman as pure being-bliss-awareness. That sounds most like 'peaceful' to me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Nope, God left Noah and family alive.

But killed the rest and then say "our salvation isn't based on deeds but on faith" then say "we will be judged for our deeds..." In the OT, it was all about deeds... so somewhere in the NT, Jesus changed his mind and said "okay, you can have faith of a mustard seed" then turn around and say "hey, you will be judged by your deeds..." and then say "faith without works is dead."

I'm not getting a pattern. Does god care about deeds or does he not? What scripture -s- from both OT and NT support each other to where one's deeds are not punished but one's lack of faith is?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
But killed the rest and then say "our salvation isn't based on deeds but on faith" then say "we will be judged for our deeds..." In the OT, it was all about deeds... so somewhere in the NT, Jesus changed his mind and said "okay, you can have faith of a mustard seed" then turn around and say "hey, you will be judged by your deeds..." and then say "faith without works is dead."

I'm not getting a pattern. Does god care about deeds or does he not? What scripture -s- from both OT and NT support each other to where one's deeds are not punished but one's lack of faith is?

They say, we walk by the spirit not by a written code. Let's say someone aquired faith, but like the thief crucified next to Jesus, had no time to do any deeds. If the written code said faith and deeds he couldn't be saved, but since it's not by a written code he can be saved. On the flip side If someone was a hypocrite and claimed to have faith but missed every opportunity to show it...etc. etc.

And for other reasons. God can judge every individual based on their circumstances and intent of their hearts, not so much relying on only their outward actions as a human court would have to do.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God can resurrect them, so if death and resurrection is the cure for sin that's productive.

The point isn't "since they can be resurrected, it's fine to kill them." It that be the case, what is the point of you living?

When a doctor treats an illnesses or kills a disease, he doesn't treat the person by taking him or her completely out of the situation. (We don't put seizure patients in mental institutions anymore, for example). Nor do we kill someone off who has cancer rather than chemo therapy. Instead, we treat the illness and disease and help the people live with what doctors cannot cure.

Can you think if doctors mirrored god's ethics, they'd kill everyone that has a disease so they can keep the healthy people?

Same as sin. Like disease, it does not need to be whiped out of existence by killing the person who sinned. That's silly. A doctor would look at god funny for doing that. It's more productive to address the sin not the sinner.

Hate the sinner because he sinned?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
The point isn't "since they can be resurrected, it's fine to kill them." It that be the case, what is the point of you living?

When a doctor treats an illnesses or kills a disease, he doesn't treat the person by taking him or her completely out of the situation. (We don't put seizure patients in mental institutions anymore, for example). Nor do we kill someone off who has cancer rather than chemo therapy. Instead, we treat the illness and disease and help the people live with what doctors cannot cure.

Can you think if doctors mirrored god's ethics, they'd kill everyone that has a disease so they can keep the healthy people?

Same as sin. Like disease, it does not need to be whiped out of existence by killing the person who sinned. That's silly. A doctor would look at god funny for doing that. It's more productive to address the sin not the sinner.

Hate the sinner because he sinned?

I believe the point God is trying to prove is the one that you don't seem to get. That sin is an inherited trait, "All have sinned", So to end the inherited trait, the "circle must be broken"