• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peace & Security or Sudden Destruction?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Observing this thread as well as many of the posts from our resident Jehovah's Witness has made me ponder the JW practice of door-to-door evangelizing and the message they bring while doing so. As we can see, the general theme of the JWs is "This world sucks, mankind sucks, and it's only going to get worse. The only thing that will ever set things right is the return of Jesus."

That makes me wonder what sort of people that message resonates with. I would think it can't be people who are happy and live fulfilling lives. After all, why would they buy into the whole "everything is awful and is just getting worse" message? Thinking of myself, I have a wonderful family, a great career, a happy and fun personal life...all to the point where I often think that even if I died tomorrow I could look back and say "what a great life!" So the JW message just doesn't click with me. Why would I agree that everything sucks if so much of my life is wonderful?

So who is buying this message? Is it mostly people for whom life truly does suck? People who have little hope and/or happiness? So when the JWs come to their door and say "Look at how terrible things are in this world", they respond "Yes, it sure is terrible", and then the JW have an opening to tell them how things actually will get better once Jesus returns?

Is that the basic outline here? Jehovah's Witnesses find people who have no hope and give them hope by convincing them that eventually Jesus will make everything perfect again? Is that why the Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs and message seem so bizarre to me....because I'm not in that depressed mental state?

And maybe a bigger question here is, if the above is true, is it a bad thing? If people with no happiness or hope gain both by converting, is that a good thing? Or maybe it is a bad thing because the JW's message is not to improve one's life, but to just bide time until either you die or Jesus returns?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since there is no evidence whatsoever of any spirit
There have been many times that I have looked for something and until I said the word of the item out loud it remained hidden. It has not always worked that way but it has happened so many times for me that it is now a wonderful pattern. I don't understand it, but I have considered that it might be the spirit of the word. Not The Word. Because of course there is no Prince of Peace beside me helping me to find stuff. But, what else could it be but spirit? And, if there is a small spirit by me, there is also a greater Spirit, I think.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Observing this thread as well as many of the posts from our resident Jehovah's Witness has made me ponder the JW practice of door-to-door evangelizing and the message they bring while doing so. As we can see, the general theme of the JWs is "This world sucks, mankind sucks, and it's only going to get worse. The only thing that will ever set things right is the return of Jesus."

That makes me wonder what sort of people that message resonates with. I would think it can't be people who are happy and live fulfilling lives. After all, why would they buy into the whole "everything is awful and is just getting worse" message? Thinking of myself, I have a wonderful family, a great career, a happy and fun personal life...all to the point where I often think that even if I died tomorrow I could look back and say "what a great life!" So the JW message just doesn't click with me. Why would I agree that everything sucks if so much of my life is wonderful?

So who is buying this message? Is it mostly people for whom life truly does suck? People who have little hope and/or happiness? So when the JWs come to their door and say "Look at how terrible things are in this world", they respond "Yes, it sure is terrible", and then the JW have an opening to tell them how things actually will get better once Jesus returns?

Is that the basic outline here? Jehovah's Witnesses find people who have no hope and give them hope by convincing them that eventually Jesus will make everything perfect again? Is that why the Jehovah's Witnesses' beliefs and message seem so bizarre to me....because I'm not in that depressed mental state?

And maybe a bigger question here is, if the above is true, is it a bad thing? If people with no happiness or hope gain both by converting, is that a good thing? Or maybe it is a bad thing because the JW's message is not to improve one's life, but to just bide time until either you die or Jesus returns?
I was a Jehovah's Witness and I think you are right about it being a religion that draws unhappy people to it. I was lonely, in a town far enough away from my family and any friends I had and with two young children that I welcomed the young JW ladies who visited me with open arms. I trusted that they were teaching me the truth and they taught me that to get close to God I must be baptized, so I did, though I didn't feel any different after that. They also teach that to progress with Jehovah I must go door to door preaching the Bible. They call their version of the Bible, "What The Bible Really Teaches". I didn't believe everything that is being taught in The Watchtower, but I lived the JW way as best I could because my job was to draw other people to it.

I had been searching for a way to be happy with my mess of a life and did it work? I can't say that being a JW made me happy but doing it right (in my opinion) left me no room to consider happiness anymore.

Did it make me a better person? (As another thread asks). It made me better informed about religion, but the state of religion is a good reason to be unhappy. But I think that knowing the Jehovah's Witnesses made me more spiritually minded. I tend toward agreeing with Pascel (1923-1662). I am betting on that God exists. And, I love knowing about the Bible, but I don't believe that what we have is what God says.

Perhaps I am a bad example because being taught the Jehovah's Witness way made me think more not less like it seems good Jehovah's Witnesses do. It seems to me that The Watchtower is about making people afraid to think. Do you need proof? LOL Just look at how many words of mine they degrade or simply ignore.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I was a Jehovah's Witness and I think you are right about it being a religion that draws unhappy people to it. I was lonely, in a town far enough away from my family and any friends I had and with two young children that I welcomed the young JW ladies who visited me with open arms. I trusted that they were teaching me the truth and they taught me that to get close to God I must be baptized, so I did, though I didn't feel any different after that. They also teach that to progress with Jehovah I must go door to door preaching the Bible. They call their version of the Bible, "What The Bible Really Teaches". I didn't believe everything that is being taught in The Watchtower, but I lived the JW way as best I could because my job was to draw other people to it.

I had been searching for a way to be happy with my mess of a life and did it work? I can't say that being a JW made me happy but doing it right (in my opinion) left me no room to consider happiness anymore.

Did it make me a better person? (As another thread asks). It made me better informed about religion, but the state of religion is a good reason to be unhappy. But I think that knowing the Jehovah's Witnesses made me more spiritually minded. I tend toward agreeing with Pascel (1923-1662). I am betting on that God exists. And, I love knowing about the Bible, but I don't believe that what we have is what God says.

Perhaps I am a bad example because being taught the Jehovah's Witness way made me think more not less like it seems good Jehovah's Witnesses do. It seems to me that The Watchtower is about making people afraid to think. Do you need proof? LOL Just look at how many words of mine they degrade or simply ignore.
That's a fascinating story and I appreciate you sharing it. :)

When you say becoming a JW didn't make you happy, but it "left me no room to consider happiness anymore", what exactly does that mean? I read it as that JWs teach that happiness here and now in this "world" isn't worth pursuing, and we should all instead focus on making sure we're in the right spiritual place/state of mind so that when Jesus does return, then we can be sure we'll be happy. Is that right?

It's interesting too how it seems becoming a JW did make you happy and a better person, but only indirectly by opening your mind up to spirituality where you eventually became happier and a better person. Do you think that could have happened had you converted to any religion (like if it was Mormons who first came to your door), or was it specific to becoming a Witness?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
That's a fascinating story and I appreciate you sharing it. :)

When you say becoming a JW didn't make you happy, but it "left me no room to consider happiness anymore", what exactly does that mean? I read it as that JWs teach that happiness here and now in this "world" isn't worth pursuing, and we should all instead focus on making sure we're in the right spiritual place/state of mind so that when Jesus does return, then we can be sure we'll be happy. Is that right?
You have some great insight, I think. I understood that to be a JW was an advertisement to draw other people to The Truth. They have called it the search for "right-hearted" people to the promise of everlasting (Earthly) life on a paradise Earth. The work of changing one's worldly character to something worthy of everlasting life, all the meetings, the study of the information to be reviewed at each meeting, the door-to-door work, the two yearly conventions and the volunteering for the meetings and the care of the physical meeting place was a full-time job but there was also each person's personal responsibilities. I was a mother and a wife. Then there is the guilt. My (ex) husband is an atheist and did not have the enthusiasm to train up our children in the way of moral virtue, but I did not go over his head to train them up as Jehovah's Witnesses for reasons that I understand now. I think that to train up children to be dedicated to the organization may cause children to become sneaky liars. Some conform to obey their parents, but they do not believe in it. IMO (I have heard from former JWs about this).
It's interesting too how it seems becoming a JW did make you happy and a better person,
Thank you. I think I needed that very nice compliment. (My daughter is driving me crazy!)

but only indirectly by opening your mind up to spirituality where you eventually became happier and a better person. Do you think that could have happened had you converted to any religion (like if it was Mormons who first came to your door), or was it specific to becoming a Witness?
Yes. It could very well have.

It is interesting to note that some Bibles say "blessed are" (at Matthew 5:3-9)* but the New World Translation says, "happy are". @Deeje will call this nonsense, I am sure, but I could be wrong.

Good News Translation Hebrews 7:7
There is no doubt that the one who blesses is greater than the one who is blessed.

Believers believe in God's blessings. But, I think that most believers know that each of us must find his or her own happiness. So, A JW who is not feeling happy has to blame herself according to what is being taught by The Watchtower. That is very stressful!

*Matthew 5:3-9
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/matthew/5/

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
You have some great insight, I think. I understood that to be a JW was an advertisement to draw other people to The Truth. They have called it the search for "right-hearted" people to the promise of everlasting (Earthly) life on a paradise Earth. The work of changing one's worldly character to something worthy of everlasting life, all the meetings, the study of the information to be reviewed at each meeting, the door-to-door work, the two yearly conventions and the volunteering for the meetings and the care of the physical meeting place was a full-time job but there was also each person's personal responsibilities. I was a mother and a wife.
First, thank you for the compliment! :)

So to JWs, the purpose of this life is to make yourself worthy of eternal life and to find others who can and are willing to do the same. Is that why JWs don't really pester people when they turn them away at the door? They just figure they aren't amont the "right-hearted people" and just go looking for the next one?

Then there is the guilt. My (ex) husband is an atheist and did not have the enthusiasm to train up our children in the way of moral virtue, but I did not go over his head to train them up as Jehovah's Witnesses for reasons that I understand now. I think that to train up children to be dedicated to the organization may cause children to become sneaky liars. Some conform to obey their parents, but they do not believe in it. IMO (I have heard from former JWs about this).
The only JW I ever knew personally fit that mold I think. When I knew him, he was being raised by his grandmother who was a JW. He and I bonded over our love of basketball, which he told me he wasn't allowed to watch or play, because the JWs didn't believe in competition. So we would sneak down to his grandmother's basement and catch the night's NBA highlights without her knowing. Later on I ran into him at a college, so I'm betting he left the faith once he was able to move out. But he definitely went along with it while he lived with his grandmother. Sneaky guy, I guess!

Thank you. I think I needed that very nice compliment. (My daughter is driving me crazy!)
You're welcome....and isn't that what kids are for? :p

Yes. It could very well have.

It is interesting to note that some Bibles say "blessed are" (at Matthew 5:3-9)* but the New World Translation says, "happy are". @Deeje will call this nonsense, I am sure, but I could be wrong.

Good News Translation Hebrews 7:7
There is no doubt that the one who blesses is greater than the one who is blessed.

Believers believe in God's blessings. But, I think that most believers know that each of us must find his or her own happiness. So, A JW who is not feeling happy has to blame herself according to what is being taught by The Watchtower. That is very stressful!

*Matthew 5:3-9
3"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
5Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
7Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
8Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
9Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/bible/nwt/books/matthew/5/
Interesting. So according to JW, if you're not happy it's because you're not doing what God wants or living a Godly lifestyle? Seems odd, given how they also teach how terrible, evil, and awful this world is. Surely they would expect that if one lives in such a garbage fire, it's going to affect you now and then.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're welcome....and isn't that what kids are for? :p
I sure hope not! I mean she is actually driving me to commit myself and she might be doing it on purpose. Sigh.

Interesting. So according to JW, if you're not happy it's because you're not doing what God wants or living a Godly lifestyle? Seems odd, given how they also teach how terrible, evil, and awful this world is. Surely they would expect that if one lives in such a garbage fire, it's going to affect you now and then.
It's not official doctrine, but I have heard them teach that if a JW person is not happy, extra field service should cure that.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I sure hope not! I mean she is actually driving me to commit myself and she might be doing it on purpose. Sigh.
I'm so sorry. I have two teenage daughters, so when I see "my daughter is driving me crazy" I think of it in the stereotypical way. I hope everything works out for you! :)

It's not official doctrine, but I have heard them teach that if a JW person is not happy, extra field service should cure that.
Wow. That's positively fascinating. It seems the more I learn about their faith, the stranger it gets.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
To use one word for the above: "illogical". It defies common sense and common decency since taking such a position leaves innocent people, including children, totally at the mercy of tyrants.

I find the definition of godly love as defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 does Not fit the description of a tyrant.
Plus, Jesus taught his followers would have the same self-sacrificing love for others as he has at John 13:34-35.
Self-sacrificing love is Not being a tyrant but quite the opposite.
Common sense and decency is the position Jesus taught in his illustration about the neighborly good Samaritan.
His followers were to broaden out, widen out, in showing practical love to others especially at their time of trouble.
To me 'the above' is all ' logical ' and scriptural.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
........ As we can see, the general theme of the JWs is "This world sucks, mankind sucks, and it's only going to get worse. The only thing that will ever set things right is the return of Jesus."

I am wondering if you feel 'happily free' to never lock your house or car doors ________
If you lock any windows or doors then you are not really free.
I find many happy people do Not feel free to walk alone outside at night.
Does a wonderful family, great career, a happy-and-fun personal life also mean No spiritual life_______
One cousin in college said what really matters is having fun. Do what you want as long as it's fun.
One happily married young couple could Not stop the young wife from suffering years with cancer before death.
So, to me just being happy with a wonderful family, etc. does Not guarantee it will end up that way.
I wonder how happy the people now living in war-torn areas are_______
I wonder how happy are the people in Venezuela with food shortages _______
I was' happy as a lark', then when one day an older gentleman said to me," I have good news for you."
Then he read me Ecclesiastes 1:4 B that the 'Earth abides forever'.
That stopped me in my tracks because school taught me the opposite that Earth will be destroyed.
Church also taught me the opposite that Earth will be destroyed. So, I knew both can't be right.
I was very happy to want to know more why the Bible was saying the opposite of school and church.
And WOW! am I happy I continued to search the Bible and research the Scriptures as the people of Acts 17:11.
Righteous mankind does Not suck. Revelation 7:9 lets us know a great multitude, a great crowd will survive the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
Saying ' great ' in my mind means more than a small number.
What sucks are the self-centered people who have a distorted form of love as 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 describes.
What does Not suck are the people who display Christ-like love as defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6.
Mankind's history shows man can't establish Peace on Earth, so God will bring to ruin those ruining Earth.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The more, or the most, you can learn about their faith is found right at the ' horse's mouth ' at www.jw.org
How much time has a person? LOL Ecclesiastes 12:12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
My thoughts.

Optimism runs high among many...
Will the Nations really bring Peace and Security, or will their cry spell Sudden Destruction?
1 Thessalonians 5:3 Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, just like birth pains on a pregnant woman, and they will by no means escape. 

What we know...
CRIME & VIOLENCE
GLOBAL STUDY ON HOMICIDE 2013
Intentional homicide caused the deaths of almost half a million people (437,000) across the world in 2012.

Homicide rate
In 2015 an estimated 470 000 people worldwide were victims of homicide (global rate of 6.4 per 100 000).

Paying attention...
The Quest For Peace and Security
GLOBAL VIOLENT DEATHS 2017 - Time to Decide
Approximately 560,000 people lost their lives violently in 2016, meaning that, on average, interpersonal or collective violence killed at least one person every minute of every day of the year. For every person killed, many others suffered devastating consequences.

Can man solve the problem...?
The UN's Agenda...
At the global level, there is a growing desire to identify strategies to prevent violence and violent deaths. The international community recognizes the need to prioritize conflict prevention by tackling the root causes of tensions, helping to build and strengthen institutions, and ...
At the national level, a growing number of states have invested in promoting initiatives to prevent crime and violence (WHO, UNODC, and UNDP, 2014, p. 27).

The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development has the potential to usher in much needed changes. When world leaders gathered at the United Nations in September 2015 to adopt a landmark blueprint for global development, they recognized peaceful societies as a prerequisite for all 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the 2030 Agenda — and as a goal in its own right. In committing to Goal 16, all states pledge to promote ‘peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels’ (UNGA, 2015, p. 25). The 2030 Agenda is the first universal framework to make an explicit connection between violence, conflict, and development, stating that ‘sustainable development cannot be realized without peace and security; and peace and security will be at risk without sustainable development’ .
The 2030 Agenda thus calls for an unprecedented global shift in attention towards a reduction in violent deaths as a means of facilitating global development.

The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries - developed and developing - in a global partnership. They recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests.
UN Sustainable Development Goals

Do you know all 17 SDGs?
Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development .:. Sustainable Development Knowledge Platform
Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote wellJbeing for all at all ages
Goal 4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
Goal 6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
Goal 7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
Goal 8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
Goal 10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
Goal 11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
Goal 12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts*
Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
Goal 15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
Goal 16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
Goal 17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development
Milestones

Will man accomplish it?
Or...
Are the problems too huge for man to solve?
It seems the problems are too big for man, for a number of reasons - man's nature (Romans 1:28-32; 5:12; Galatians 5:19-21), and man's enemy (Ephesians 6:12; Revelation 12:12)
[GALLERY=media, 8849]Problems by nPeace posted Jan 29, 2019 at 3:57 AM[/GALLERY]
Thus man needs a big hand.
Has anyone shown themselves competent for the job? Yes.
There is Concrete Evidence Jehovah's Will Successful get the Job done.

Jehovah proves that he is successful at teaching his subjects how to live in peace.
Isaiah 2:3, 4
They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.
Millions of JWs all around the world are learning from God how to be peaceable. (Matthew 5:9) Although they make up hundreds of different ethnic groups and live in over 239 different lands, they refuse to take up arms against their fellow man, and endeavor to be united in love, and thought. (1 Corinthians 1:10)

However, the nations reject God's rulership - Psalms 2:1-3
That's too bad though, because like it or not the earth belongs to Jehovah... and according to the Bible, he's taking over. So I guess that means... it's war!
...but first... a call for peace. ::D After all, Jehovah is a merciful God - abundant in loyal love and a lover of Justice.
Psalm 2:4-12
4 The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them. 5 At that time he will speak to them in his anger And terrify them in his burning anger, 6 Saying: “I myself have installed my king On Zion, my holy mountain.” ... 10So now, you kings, show insight; Accept correction, you judges of the earth. 11Serve Jehovah with fear, And rejoice with trembling. 12Honor the son, or God will become indignant And you will perish from the way, For His anger flares up quickly. Happy are all those taking refuge in Him.

The proud want's no peace with God though. So... Here are Jehovah's Decrees, as outlined in his word.
What God’s Kingdom will do...
Decree 1. Replace all human governments and rule over the entire earth. (Daniel 2:44; Revelation 16:14)
Decree 2. Remove the wicked, whose selfishness harms us all. - Psalms 37:9-11, 29; Proverbs 2:22.
Decree 3. End all wars. - Psalm 46:9.
Decree 4. Bring prosperity and security to the earth. - Micah 4:4
Decree 5. Make the earth into a paradise. - Isaiah 35:1
Decree 6. Provide everyone with meaningful, enjoyable work. - Isaiah 65:21-23.
Decree 7. Eliminate disease and bring perfect health. - Isaiah 33:24; 35:5, 6.
Decree 8. Set us free from the aging process. - Job 33:25.
Decree 9. Bring the dead back to life. - John 5:28, 29.
Decree 10. Unite all mankind in pure worship of the true God. (Jeremiah 16:20, 21)
Decree 11. End all "natural" disasters. (Revelation 11:18) . . .to bring to ruin those ruining the earth.
From the Biblical perspective, and the way I see it, only Jehovah can succeed in ending poverty worldwide, and make it possible for all to have truly happy lives.

Why Sudden Destruction at the cry of Peace and Security?
'Cause man's rule is a failure, as is evident.
No man can stop corruption - man himself is corrupt.
I thought I had seen man in his cruelest form, until I saw the recent rodeo. Has anyone seen mafia's rodeo?
I used to think that child sexual assault was man's height of sickness, until I saw this, but God only knows the unimaginable sick things man is doing, which I haven't seen... and probably is better off not seeing.
What optimistic views do you have about stopping the level of corruption involved in the ongoing business of mafia's rodeo?
Do you still think man can stop corruption?

So Peace and Security it appears, will be a reality, but not by man.
That's the way I see it. What are your thoughts?
Global homicide and violence rates are at an all time low. This isn't the apocalypse you're looking for

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Global homicide and violence rates are at an all time low. This isn't the apocalypse you're looking for
If I may take the liberty to add the Bible's apocalypse is that wars will cease earth wide as per Psalms 46:9.
Armageddon is the war to end all wars. The last war on Earth will be Armageddon before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Armageddon will be necessary because the world is headed for the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
A great-tribulation trigger will be when the political/military surprisingly turns on the religious world that plays false to God.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
If I may take the liberty to add the Bible's apocalypse is that wars will cease earth wide as per Psalms 46:9.
Armageddon is the war to end all wars. The last war on Earth will be Armageddon before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.
Armageddon will be necessary because the world is headed for the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.
A great-tribulation trigger will be when the political/military surprisingly turns on the religious world that plays false to God.
I'm not sure what yourpoint is?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I find the definition of godly love as defined at 1 Corinthians 13:4-6 does Not fit the description of a tyrant.
Allowing innocent people to be killed by a tyrant when one won't take actions to stop it is not "love" any more than not giving a person who's starving something to eat. If God is the same yesterday and today, then it makes no sense to me that God would order us to defend the innocent and then turn around later and say "nah, don't bother".

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Allowing innocent people to be killed by a tyrant when one won't take actions to stop it is not "love" any more than not giving a person who's starving something to eat. If God is the same yesterday and today, then it makes no sense to me that God would order us to defend the innocent and then turn around later and say "nah, don't bother".
But, they don't believe in innocence except for their own. That is the reason they preach. It is to convert people to their own form of innocence.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what your point is?

I suppose the point could be that 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 is the final result of people failing to respond to Jesus' teachings.
Run-afoul religion has created a hauntingly dangerous religious climate brewing in today's world.
As the current religious climate becomes closer and closer to Sodom and Gomorrah then it's God's time to act.
In the past, God used the political/military to act as His ' arm of the law ' such as when He used the Roman armies to go up against un-faithful Jerusalem in the year 70.
With backing, today the United Nations can be strengthened to become God's modern-day ' arm of the law '.
Trouble-filled religion puts itself on the U.N. radar, so to speak, thus creating an anti-religious atmosphere in feelings and attitudes toward the religious world.
Because Christendom corresponds to old un-faithful Jerusalem is why she will be the first to attack .
Who knows, even a bad economy could make the wealth the churches have amassed look easy for the political taking.