• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peace from within you

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you by religious practices gain complete peace and calmness from within, will you be able to hold peace with anyone, even those who want you ill?

This is a question i am pondering about this weekend. I would like to remain fully calm even when you guys hammering my belief :)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I like playing different roles on RF. Sometimes in the absence of too many Muslims I play the Muslim apologist. Of course I'm not a Muslim in the strict sense of the word but I enjoy defending Muhammad and the Quran.

You are wise to put this is the Q & A section of the forum. Members are not allowed to debate here. Hope being a Muslim today works well for you. Best wishes.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I like playing different roles on RF. Sometimes in the absence of too many Muslims I play the Muslim apologist. Of course I'm not a Muslim in the strict sense of the word but I enjoy defending Muhammad and the Quran.

You are wise to put this is the Q & A section of the forum. Members are not allowed to debate here. Hope being a Muslim today works well for you. Best wishes.
Being a muslim is the best that has happend to me spirually :)
I always welcome your answers @adrian009

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If you by religious practices gain complete peace and calmness from within, will you be able to hold peace with anyone, even those who want you ill?

I do my best to remain peaceful in any situation. Am I always successful? I'm not going to lie and say I am, but I will say that in the rare case when my ire is aroused, the intensity and duration is a mere fraction of what is was earlier in life.

As I stabilize in constant awareness of my true nature, complete and enduring peace will also stabilize, until I am existence, consciousness, bliss (satcitananda).

This is a question i am pondering about this weekend. I would like to remain fully calm even when you guys hammering my belief :)

I hope you succeed. Not taking anything personally will likely aid in success in this endeavor.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Not even suspect that peace can come without any sort of religious belief? And such can occur just as much as with a belief apparently supporting one, but where such might be a delusion? Who do you think wants ill of you?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

I reckon all this peace, love and harmony stuff is overrated.
The nature of mind has lots of qualities, potentialities and expressions.
It often appears to me that people who consider themselves spiritual or religious try to impose an artificial state on their minds.
There is a place for anger, just as there is a place for grief and a place for fear.
Deciding to wage war on your own nature and impose ‘spiritual martial law’ on your mind is in itself something which diminishes the real peace you could be experiencing.
And that is the peace of submission ... not to something imaginary, but to the real, the here and now, as it is, experience of the awake mind.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Not even suspect that peace can come without any sort of religious belief? And such can occur just as much as with a belief apparently supporting one, but where such might be a delusion? Who do you think wants ill of you?
I have never in my life been without some form of spiritual belief, so i can not say how that is.
I do not say anyone in RF want any ill toward me, discussion and debate is not ill Willed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I reckon all this peace, love and harmony stuff is overrated.
The nature of mind has lots of qualities, potentialities and expressions.
It often appears to me that people who consider themselves spiritual or religious try to impose an artificial state on their minds.
There is a place for anger, just as there is a place for grief and a place for fear.
Deciding to wage war on your own nature and impose ‘spiritual martial law’ on your mind is in itself something which diminishes the real peace you could be experiencing.
And that is the peace of submission ... not to something imaginary, but to the real, the here and now, as it is, experience of the awake mind.
Only speaking for my own experience, i have never been as calm and relaxed within my mind as i am now, after conversion to Islam, not even years of meditation made me this relaxed and clear minded of what is good for my practice. And i have not even compleated reading the quran first time.
Submission to God is not a negative thing ( to me anyway)

I can of course not speak for other people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That is true.
I am suggesting to you that the peace which is not in any way conditional is naturally available without any religion or other artificiality.

As the Dzogchen masters point out, primordial purity is already present as the nature of mind.
The OP was intense to know what other people thought of it, so i am happy for your good answer too @Howard Is

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Yep, but always remember that peace doesn't come from the outside but from the inside. May your spiritual journey be peaceful and meaningful.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have never in my life been without some form of spiritual belief, so i can not say how that is.
I do not say anyone in RF want any ill toward me, discussion and debate is not ill Willed.
Might be quite difficult to see our point of view then - since I have hardly ever had the opposite, once I was capable of thinking for myself.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Might be quite difficult to see our point of view then - since I have hardly ever had the opposite, once I was capable of thinking for myself.
I am of course thinking for my self :) but its more about what I can do within the teaching. It does not stop me from being free, but the teaching tell me what is good to do and what is not good to do.
As a human being there will be failur in how i do things, but when i realize my fault, next time same situation happens i would know what is good to do, then do it.

Clara Tea

Drawn to the cerebral religions of peace and meditation by the beautiful people who adhered to their beliefs, I consulted a guru, He said that I must concentrate on the center of mass, center of energy, and balance all. He said that I must concentrate on the belly button. Then he said "no, you idiot, your own bellybutton." A man of such depth getting huffy like that.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes peace is agreement with fulfillment in right ways.

Now determining right ways is a practice itself.

But once you recognize right ways. Then one can come to grips with them.

I believe enlightenment is full agreement in what is actually true.

It's like finding a friend that doesn't hurt or harm you ever. I take refuge in what I believe is true by way of reason, contemplation.

If I said I felt love all the time I would be a falser. I mean real love can go through hell too.

Crucibles happen!

I suppose there is a time to just live your life the best you know how.

I believe we all have faults and shortcomings though.

I contemplate to relate to right ways. It's not me that I am relating to. It's the ways that bring peace.

I have felt peace. Often it's short lived though as other things arise.

MNoBody

well, that is the test, isn't it, otherwise, what's the point of the exercise.... fight club m8
in the end, that is all debating matters becomes....non-collaborative.....but pugilism is ok when in the mood for it.