• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pbuh

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
For those who don't already know, "pbuh" is an acronym for "peace be upon him."

Why do people find it necessary to place this after then name of a prophet or messenger when writing or speaking their name? I commonly see this used when Muslims speak of Muhammed, and less frequently see it used with others, such as Jesus (okay, I only saw this once).

Why must this be said or written when speaking of such a person? Are they somehow deserving of more peace than anyone else when their body perishes? Why is it not just assumed?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Why do people find it necessary to place this after then name of a prophet or messenger when writing or speaking their name? I commonly see this used when Muslims speak of Muhammed, and less frequently see it used with others, such as Jesus (okay, I only saw this once).

Why must this be said or written when speaking of such a person? Are they somehow deserving of more peace than anyone else when their body perishes? Why is it not just assumed?
Out of respect an honor to the prophet.

Jedster

Something similar:
On a particular forum I used to frequent, I noticed that after every message in a thread, the writer put hmm...hmm at the end.
I eventually found out that hmm hmm was the sound(of God) they hear in their meditation.
By putting hmm hmm they were reminding every to remember God or Truth.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Something similar:
On a particular forum I used to frequent, I noticed that after every message in a thread, the writer put hmm...hmm at the end.
I eventually found out that hmm hmm was the sound(of God) they hear in their meditation.
By putting hmm hmm they were reminding every to remember God or Truth.

See, I would have thought the were just being thoughtful or insightful.

tenor.png

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, but why? Why do you not put this after others deserving of respect or honor? When you were Buddhist, did you say, "Buddha (pbuh)?"
It is not custom to do it as a Buddhist as far as i know.
But in Islam it is as i said to honor and respect the prophets, many muslims i have spoken with also say pbuh when they speak of Jesus who is a prophet in Islam

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It is not custom to do it as a Buddhist as far as i know.
But in Islam it is as i said to honor and respect the prophets, many muslims i have spoken with also say pbuh when they speak of Jesus who is a prophet in Islam

Do you honor and respect Muhammed more now than you did Buddha when you were Buddhist?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I always honor and respect those i see as my religious teachers so of course it is the same respect

So it would appear you say "pbuh" less out of honor and respect than you do out of custom then.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So it would appear you say "pbuh" less out of honor and respect than you do out of custom then.
No it is of course fully out of respect and honor to Muhammad (pbuh)
Yes i once was a Buddhist but i have left that path, was it good teaching? Yes it was but i found more within Islam as truth.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No it is of course fully out of respect and honor to Muhammad (pbuh)
Yes i once was a Buddhist but i have left that path, was it good teaching? Yes it was but i found more within Islam as truth.

I'm not attempting to take away from your conversion to Islam. If you are finding Islam benefits you more and offers you a greater truth, I fully support it. I also respect that you honor and respect Muhammed.

But I'm not sure if I can find truth in your saying that you say this purely out of honor and respect and not at all out of custom given you never used such a phrase with other teachers you've spoken of when you walked a different path.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, but why? Why do you not put this after others deserving of respect or honor? When you were Buddhist, did you say, "Buddha (pbuh)?"
Muslims do not use it for kafirs, Buddha was one. But they use it for all prophets of Abrahamic religions, Judaism, Christianity and perhaps Sabians also. Those are the Ahl-e-Kitab (people of the book).

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's a respective written acknowledgement. Just as Christians will cap LORD sometimes or say "our blessed" jesus christ or Christ. Same with judaism not writing god's name.

I would assume yes. Since muhammad is the last prophet in islam he would deserve the highest peace. Though I have seen many Muslims use pbuh for jesus and moses.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Where did I say it bothered me at all? Why would you make such an assumption?

Then why do you hate it so much? It's amazing what conclusions can be drawn from asking a question.

"Isn't Cleveland on the south side of Lake Erie?"
"Yeah, I get it, you hate Cleveland. All Canadians hate Cleveland."

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Where did I say it bothered me at all? Why would you make such an assumption?
First, you've been a member for nearly four years and chose to post the question in the Religious Debates Forum. Second, you appear to deem the responses you've received as somehow insufficient.

I suspect that there is a polemic lurking beneath your question. Perhaps not. I'm happy to let others form their own opinion about why millions refer to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) the way they do and why others might be bothered by it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
First, you've been a member for nearly four years and chose to post the question in the Religious Debates Forum. Second, you appear to deem the responses you've received as somehow insufficient.

I suspect that there is a polemic lurking beneath your question. Perhaps not. I'm happy to let others form their own opinion about why millions refer to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) the way they do and why others might be bothered by it.

I’m not sure how my tenure is relevant here. Not do I see the relevance of where I posted the topic. Are we to conclude that anyone who has such a tenure on the forum and posts a topic in a debate forum has a problem with the subject matter.

You’re welcome to draw your own conclusions of my motives here, of course, but know they’re based on assumptions.

If you wish to know my motives in the future, it would result in less drama if you were to simply ask rather than making assumptions.