• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying rent to your parents

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why does the notion that parents can require things of their children seem strange to some?

Parents brought them into the world, why charge their offspring for the privilege.

If the children are earning money and want to help out, fine. If they prefer to save for fledgling the nest fine.

But i see no reason to put financial burden on them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not a money grabbing greedy right winger. I thought you understood that
Of course...I'd never think that about you.
When people become as fabulously wealthy as
your type, the struggle for filthy lucre subsides.
But for those of us who live hand to mouth, money
still beckons.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Parents brought them into the world, why charge their offspring for the privilege.

If the children are earning money and want to help out, fine. If they prefer to save for fledgling the nest fine.

But i see no reason to put financial burden on them.

In our case the financial burden was on us. We had 5 kids and one salary. Their 'rent' covered their food, and the cost of utilities they used. We do rent two rooms in our basement now, and the kids paid about 1/3 of what we charge the renters now. I know parents of kids that have sponged that have no money at all to spend on themselves. The kid spends his entire earnings on gambling, booze, a fancy car, etc. while the poor Mom suffers. His income is three times hers, and other that owning the house, she struggles.

Each case is individual.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't see the difference.

When you ask for rent, you are asking someone to pay for using your property. It is a contractual relationship.

If you were to ask your children to pay some bills, you would be merely asking them to contribute towards the household.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Of course...I'd never think that about you.
When people become as fabulously wealthy as
your type, the struggle for filthy lucre subsides.
But for those of us who live hand to mouth, money
still beckons.

Are you implying you live hand to mouth?

ChristineM

Premium Member
In our case the financial burden was on us. We had 5 kids and one salary. Their 'rent' covered their food, and the cost of utilities they used. We do rent two rooms in our basement now, and the kids paid about 1/3 of what we charge the renters now. I know parents of kids that have sponged that have no money at all to spend on themselves. The kid spends his entire earnings on gambling, booze, a fancy car, etc. while the poor Mom suffers. His income is three times hers, and other that owning the house, she struggles.

Each case is individual.

Of course, my position is mine, other people see it differently for various reasons

Lain

As a brazilian, one thing I find reallllly weird about American culture is the concept of paying rent to your parents once you hit 18 years old. How commonplace is this?

Does anybody else also find this weird?

Of course one should help paying the bills, but literally paying a monthly rent to keep living with your parents is completely alien to brazilian culture.

Paying rent to keep living there is weird to me, but parents taking some of their money as long as they are there is fine to me. I just don't think one should kick them out if they don't unless you genuinely can not afford them. Giving them money and otherwise supporting them throughout your life is just a moral obligation to me.

Shadow11

If your out working with a good job is it fair to take a free ride off your parent and have them pay for everything? Its expensive to live here you have gas bills ,electric bills, phone bills, mortgage payments insurance payments, car payments , gasoline , groceries to name a few all in the same month. It also teach fiscal responsibility if you move here you will be in for a huge surprise shellshock at how much a person shells out a month just to live here.The average house price where I live is 500,000 dollars. It may sound great here but you have to work really hard to get it - whole households work to pay the bills. Households here are turning back to multigenerational homes due to high prices and lack of houses.

As a brazilian, one thing I find reallllly weird about American culture is the concept of paying rent to your parents once you hit 18 years old. How commonplace is this?

Does anybody else also find this weird?

Of course one should help paying the bills, but literally paying a monthly rent to keep living with your parents is completely alien to brazilian culture.

I pay rent to stay, she brought me in the world and can take me out, and maybe at the least kick me out, this happens sometimes in the fam

I don't think it is weird, their house their rules

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why does the notion that parents can require things of their children seem strange to some?
Likely that household chores were uncompensated as much as parents were uncompensated for rearing their children.

If having children was meant to be an arrangement, a status symbol, then it's probably best not to have had children in the first place.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If your out working with a good job is it fair to take a free ride off your parent and have them pay for everything? Its expensive to live here you have gas bills ,electric bills, phone bills, mortgage payments insurance payments, car payments , gasoline , groceries to name a few all in the same month. It also teach fiscal responsibility if you move here you will be in for a huge surprise shellshock at how much a person shells out a month just to live here.The average house price where I live is 500,000 dollars. It may sound great here but you have to work really hard to get it - whole households work to pay the bills. Households here are turning back to multigenerational homes due to high prices and lack of houses.
Some parents take advantage of their children by using their children as free 'slave' labor, but expect additional compensation as well on top of it nullifying the value of exchange of labor and compensation. It becomes a series of mixed signals.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

If you actually have a good job, chances are you will move out.