• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paying rent to your parents

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
As a brazilian, one thing I find reallllly weird about American culture is the concept of paying rent to your parents once you hit 18 years old. How commonplace is this?

Does anybody else also find this weird?

Of course one should help paying the bills, but literally paying a monthly rent to keep living with your parents is completely alien to brazilian culture.
I live in the UK and 18+ kids often pay rent to their parents, it helps the domestic budget and also those kids then have a solid right to be at home with some privacy within their room of they need that.

In the UK parents can legally expel their children at 18 years !
:)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I discussed it with them, and come to agreement of amount that was ok to pay, so the first year i paied 2500 NOK or 270 USD a month.

That's not too bad. My parent charged me 300 USD and because I get government assistant, I moved to pay 261. Now that I have a job it up to 441 (maybe I should move back, huh?)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's not too bad. My parent charged me 300 USD and because I get government assistant, I moved to pay 261. Now that I have a job it up to 441 (maybe I should move back, huh?)
The rent i spoke about was 20 years ago, so I would think if my parents was aline today, and I was living there now, that rent would be higher :)

So yes your rent is not so bad :)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
As a brazilian, one thing I find reallllly weird about American culture is the concept of paying rent to your parents once you hit 18 years old. How commonplace is this?

Of course one should help paying the bills, but literally paying a monthly rent to keep living with your parents is completely alien to brazilian culture.

We started charging our 18 year old son rent, but with as expensive as it is here now, we want him to be able to save money, so we stopped charging. I guess it's to get them ready for how it is in the real world where there's no free ride. He will learn soon enough; we don't need to be pro-active.

Shaul

Premium Member
Why does the notion that parents can require things of their children seem strange to some?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

USA recently went through a very prosperous time. Jobs paid relatively better. College was for a short period quite inexpensive. Opportunities abounded. Putting money into the bank was wise.

Now school is expensive, employers no longer offer retirements, putting money into a bank account is foolish. There is no permanent employment, and there is no permanent trade except for medicine, accounting etc. You can't be assured that your job as a: mechanic, bricklayer, cashier etc will always be around. Things have changed. The wise move, today, is to stay with your parents.

I have met families that did and that didn't charge rent to the kids. Sometimes it depends on how many children there are. My family had so many children that I had to move out to retain some sanity. I literally had no quiet place because the house was full of small children. Nobody had to charge me rent to get me to leave. I should have stayed and saved or paid rent to the parents. That would have been smarter.

Clara Tea

Of course one should help paying the bills, but literally paying a monthly rent to keep living with your parents is completely alien to Brazilian culture.

Rent discourages living rent-free forever, and forces kids to be responsible, get jobs, not stay up drinking, and prepares for the real world. Parents could save the money for the kids when they really need it.

As parents grow very old or need a great deal of care, it is a good idea to take the financial burden off of kids who help them.

Obamacare charges for medical care based on the income of the entire household. So, if there is a child caregiver, they have to pay according to the income of themselves and their parents, even if they don't get support or free rent. This puts a huge burden on taking care of the elderly.

California probate law was recently changed to avoid undue influence (child caregivers might get a larger inheritance), so now child caregivers are aced out of inheritances if siblings file probate cases. This means that if you take care of aging parents, you could lose your entire inheritance. That's odd, since the child caregiver is usually more attentive than the other siblings.

More and more, child caregivers are discouraged from helping their parents, which forces parents into long term skilled nursing facilities which don't really care about their care. For example, it is standard practice at some facilities to not change diapers or sheets for 24 hours, so patients languish in their own poop for 24 hours. But, they do abide by Federal and state guidelines of treatment, which is essentially to sit up (in a chair) for 15 minutes per day. So long term care facilities have all of their patients sitting up in the hallway for 15 minutes per day. If you go to a long term care facility, you will hear patients screaming for nurses, complaining of heart attacks, etc. This is quite normal since the nursing staff refuses to come when called. This does not violate Federal or state guidelines.

Often parents and children take care of each other. They each have special needs. Government interference is geared to prevent that.

Clara Tea

USA recently went through a very prosperous time. Jobs paid relatively better. College was for a short period quite inexpensive. Opportunities abounded. Putting money into the bank was wise.

Now school is expensive, employers no longer offer retirements, putting money into a bank account is foolish. There is no permanent employment, and there is no permanent trade except for medicine, accounting etc. You can't be assured that your job as a: mechanic, bricklayer, cashier etc will always be around. Things have changed. The wise move, today, is to stay with your parents.

I have met families that did and that didn't charge rent to the kids. Sometimes it depends on how many children there are. My family had so many children that I had to move out to retain some sanity. I literally had no quiet place because the house was full of small children. Nobody had to charge me rent to get me to leave. I should have stayed and saved or paid rent to the parents. That would have been smarter.

Things get complicated when under-aged kids have kids of their own. They can't afford to raise them, and can't afford rent. This often shoves the kids out on the streets to fend for themselves and their babies. Or, it foists a new baby on the grandparents who thought that their days of rearing children were over.

Gone are the days when average workers could buy a house. The only way to qualify for a loan is to prove that you don't need one.

Harvard costs $75k per year. But financial aid is sometimes available. If your parents are completely broke, you get full tuition and expenses. If your parents have a lot of money, they have to be willing to spend some of that money on their children's education. Otherwise, their children can't get free educations, but will have to pay the parents financial burden. That means that they have to work their way through college.

At UC Irvine, a professor bought a refrigerator and paid to stock it with food. Many students have taken that free food, because they had no alternative.

Those who get scholarships have that same amount taken out of their government financial aid. So, scholarships won't provide any extra money for education.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I live in the UK and 18+ kids often pay rent to their parents, it helps the domestic budget and also those kids then have a solid right to be at home with some privacy within their room of they need that.

In the UK parents can legally expel their children at 18 years !
:)

Why the smile at the end?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
We started charging our 18 year old son rent, but with as expensive as it is here now, we want him to be able to save money, so we stopped charging. I guess it's to get them ready for how it is in the real world where there's no free ride. He will learn soon enough; we don't need to be pro-active.

You guess?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why does the notion that parents can require things of their children seem strange to some?

images

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Here in Brazil moving out all by yourself as soon as you hit 18 years old is, generally speaking, a recipe for poverty.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I've never known anyone to actually do it.
How common do you think it is?

I had friends who did pay rent to their parents. Thought it strange back then.

And to be honest i think mucking out the cow shed went a long way to paying my bills anyway.

I won't be asking mine for rent but i won't be complaining if they insist on doing a share of the housework.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in Brazil moving out all by yourself as soon as you hit 18 years old is, generally speaking, a recipe for poverty.
It is not instant poverty here. It is not smart anymore though, unless you have some way to live rent free and have some concept of how to take care of yourself. You have to know how to make your food and keep track of your expenses. Most people move in with a friend to help cover rent. I did that at first.